Mk2 Coaches

Your latest modelling projects.

Re: Mk2 Coaches

Postby jdfaulkner » Mon May 20, 2013 9:08 am

Jim,

The Southern Pride covers for the roof should be ok, although as I was having components etched anyway I added these covers on to the sheet.

Richard,

The stripper was standard Pheonix Precision Superstrip - Although some vehicles took some working on to remove the paint.

Cheers
Dave
jdfaulkner

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 am

jdfaulkner wrote:Jim,

The Southern Pride covers for the roof should be ok, although as I was having components etched anyway I added these covers on to the sheet.

Richard,

The stripper was standard Pheonix Precision Superstrip - Although some vehicles took some working on to remove the paint.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

Are the roof covers you have done just for private use or will you make them available?

Also have you lengthened the coaches to reflect that 2c's are longer? A lot of people make a fuss about this especially with regard to the Lima mk2b and mk2f coaches. Having compared a Lima and airfix mk2 the difference is quite slight and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby jdfaulkner » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am

Jim,

The roof covers were part of one large etch that contained everything I thought I would need for the Mostyn pressure ventilated Mk2 fleet. If done separately the artwork would need reworking. I did not plan on reworking this, but I suppose in the future I could do; though I have little spare time right at this moment. If you just want the covers you might be quicker to get the Southern Pride (from which I obtained the dimensions).

I have lengthened the coaches.

Cheers
David
<Edited for missing words>

Jim S-W wrote:Hi Dave

Are the roof covers you have done just for private use or will you make them available?

Also have you lengthened the coaches to reflect that 2c's are longer? A lot of people make a fuss about this especially with regard to the Lima mk2b and mk2f coaches. Having compared a Lima and airfix mk2 the difference is quite slight and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Jim
Last edited by jdfaulkner on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdfaulkner

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks for that.

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby jdfaulkner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Phew, I think I've narrowly missed some nit-picking here after seeing Jim S-W's comments on the 'Helping each other to get the most from our hobby' thread! :shock: No matter, must get on with some modelling now that Chatham is out of the way so I'll be returning to this thread with updates as I work on the bodies of the Mk2s and learn to use a bow pen. :|
Ta
Dave
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:18 am

Hi all,

Following a period of inactivity after the Chatham exhibition, during which we went to Woking, Merseyside and Newcastle, I’ve now resumed work on the Mark 2s. Anyway, here’s a quick update on progress.

All of the new stepboards / body fixing saddles below the wrap-round doors on the Mk2Cs are now fitted as are the stepless saddles on the Mk2s & Mk2As; all body / underframe fixing points are thus done.

All of the new end detail has been added to the Mk2Cs. This includes: toilet tank filler pipes; lamp irons; handrails; gutter drain pipes; RCH jumper cables; and, door frames and hinges.

The new end detail has also been added to the Mk2s & Mk2As (lamp irons; handrail; RCH jumper cables).

Right, next on the list is the roof detail – Does anyone have the book ‘Photographs of British Railways Mk2s from the sky in great detail’?

Cheers
Dave
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I apologise for the lack of recent progress reports so it is time I brought you all up to speed with the Mk2 situation!
Basically, all coaches are now wearing their rail blue paint so this leaves:
1 - Bodies - rail grey; first class yellow strips; white lining and then the various lettering, then of course the windows need refitting!
2 - Underframes – priming and frame dirt.
3 - Bogies – frame dirt.
4 – Interiors – Passengers need adding.
I’ve got no pictures from this month, but the following where taken in August and show the completed bodies minus top paint.

Mk2c BFK M14129 in primer. Since this picture was taken the underframe has had: couplings; additional box on underframe; end steps; etched bogie footsteps; ETH jumper cables & receptacles; airbrake pipes; air reservoir pipes; steam pipes; bogie-mounted alternators, fitted.

This is Mk2c FK M13541. You will note the lack of gangway detail, the nearest end here is intermediate so will have a flexible gangway added once painting is completed.
I’ll try to provide more information during October, but if you have a specific question, fire ahead.

Cheers
David
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi all, here’s another quick progress report on the state of the Mk2s.

Basically, after knocking off the jobs listed in my posting above, I’m now adding transfers starting with the yellow first class stripe and white lining between rail blue and rail grey. So in no particular order:

Here is Mk2c M14129

Mk2c FK M13541

Mk2 TSO M5118

Mk2c TSO M5566

As you can see, only the white lining decals have been added so far (a new challenge for me getting the lining on straight :geek: ) and the roofs still need painting, but the vehicle character is now beginning to show through, even on the Mk2 compared to the original Bachmann paint job.

That’s all for now folks.
David
Last edited by jdfaulkner on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdfaulkner

Postby iak » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Strewth! 8-)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi,

It’s been a long time since the last update due to: other projects; helping with other’s layouts; other hobbies; oh, and work. So, after finishing the lettering, painting the roofs, adding door grab handles, I’ve started reinstalling the windows. Here are a couple of pictures taken earlier today.

Mk2c TSO M55266

Mk2a TSO M5414

Cheers
David
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi,

Yesterday marked the last air-braked coach to get all its windows back in.

This is Mk2c BFK M14029 - the smaller one-piece toilet windows are made from the original Bachmann, but with its detail filed off and the surface polished up, I decided this was the easiest iin terms of looking consistent with the unaltered versions.

Mk2c FO M3163 has the same toilet window arrangement. Whilst all windows are back in the vehicles, this one requires ‘1st’ and ‘No Smoking’ window decals to be added. In most cases Bachmann chose to model the older double-sausage ‘1st’ and triangular ‘No Smoking’ markings on their Blue/Grey Mk2 and Mk2a coaches; these have had to be polished off as the later square and round decal types were used respectively on the Mk2c.

Cheers
David
Now for the Mk2s...
jdfaulkner

Postby iak » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Whooosh. 8-)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby jdfaulkner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi,

Here’s another of the vehicles from the other week: a late-build Mk2c vehicle (M5563).

And, as of this afternoon, all of the vacuum-braked Mk2 coaches now have their windows back in in place.

Here is Mk2 BFK M14045. This coach has the correct arrangement of ventilators above the compartments (Bachmann made do with a one-size-fits-all, which was only suitable for the BSO).

Next we have Mk2 FK M13429. A fair bit of time has been spent on this putting in the correct pattern windows in on this coach; both the double opening lights of the main windows, as well as the less obvious toilet window arrangement.

My next job with these is to add the metal opening bar at the top of ALL THE DOOR WINDOWS, oh for the need of a day with good light!

Cheers
David
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:13 pm

As well as the Mk2s, various Mk1 coaches are also needed in the two Mk2 rakes. Whilst we formalised the plan on how to make these last autumn, work has now started in earnest. The build requirement is:
3no. RBR (RBRs M1626 & M1775 + RB M1709);
1no. FO (M3111); and
1no. SLCT (M2434); oh and because we have records of OOU catering vehicles in the rakes
1no. RMB (M1867).
[RBR M1775 is for use in a future build but is included as we do not intend to revisit Mk1s]

So, to start off here we have RB no. M1709, based on the Bachmann RU.

Then, RBR no. M1775, again based on the Bachmann RU but with FO parts.

Finally FO no. M3111, all from FO parts but with multiple cuts to get the window spacing for the extra door (Bachmann for some reason modelled the early FO variant rather than the more common diagram 73 still seen today).
Richard has used parts from a Mk2 FK for this interior!

Cheers,
David
jdfaulkner

Previous

Return to W.I.P