Mk2 Coaches

Your latest modelling projects.

Mk2 Coaches

Postby jdfaulkner » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Hello all,

Since it first appeared on the exhibition circuit passenger trains on BMRG's Mostyn layout have been represented, firstly by rakes of Mk1 carriages and secondly, by a steadily growing collection of DMUs. During 2010 we decided that passengers on Mostyn were in need of an upgrade and so we commenced our Mk2 coach project.

So far progress has been a little slow as I decide how to tackle the various types of coach we need, but here follows a couple of photographs of some of the Mk2C coaches I've been working on. [Conversions will mostly contain Bachmann Mk2 and Mk2A coach parts].

Cheers
David

1 - Sides for a Mk2C TSO; these are made by removing the Mk2/2A centre door and stitching the two parts together.

2- Body for Mk2C FK; here I've taken the Mk2A FK body and filed away the detail on the doors as these will be the wrap-round type on the completed coach. I've got enough parts from banana-shaped Mk2/2As to do a cut-and-shut to gain the additional length for the Mk2c and have filled in the toilet windows as these coaches have the smaller toilet windows without ventilators.

3 - Close up of the Mk2C end door area; note that I've not as yet added the new door detail (I'll save this joy for when all coaches are at the same stage of build!)
Last edited by jdfaulkner on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdfaulkner

Re: Mk2 Coaches

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:39 am

Hi david

Southern pride do vinyl window frames for mk 2 air cons that will give you the toilet. Shawplan do etched ones as well.

Can I ask why have you removed the roof panel?

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby jdfaulkner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Hello Jim,

I've been thinking about the toilet windows and I've come to the conclusion that those on the Mk2c have are a slightly deeper window compared to the air-cons so that the lower edge lines up with the lower edge of the main accommodation windows, I've found the following on John Lacy's Fotopic site to explain what I mean:

http://1980sbrcoachingstockbyjohnlacy.fotopic.net/p63955274.html
http://1980sbrcoachingstockbyjohnlacy.fotopic.net/p63249466.html
http://1980sbrcoachingstockbyjohnlacy.fotopic.net/p63249468.html

Looking at the pictures on the Southern Pride website, the later Mk2c windows look to be represented correctly (so these are a possibility). However, I've just tried to look up the Shawplan ones, but the Shawplan website doesn't seem to list them, if I'm right about the window depth is it likely that Shawplan have just done the versions for the air-cons or those for the Mk2c as a separate item?

I've removed the roof panel as I intend to use the etched parts from Southern Pride.

Cheers
David
jdfaulkner

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi David

The shawplan ones are replacements for the airfix 2d so in that case won't fit.

Southern pride are usually pretty good at supplying bits of kits on their own

Hth

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi David

Forgot to say great link. I dunno if you know but some of Steve Jones' stuff has started re-appearing on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1320038@N2 ... 246781063/

Hth

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby jdfaulkner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:23 pm

Good to hear the Steve Jones stuff is reappearing.

With the John Lacy pictures you just have to be aware of what you are looking at as he has mixed the different versions of things by general class/coach arrangement etc.

Ta
David,
...off to new year's....
jdfaulkner

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:41 am

Hi David,

Is it about time that the good folks of Fred had an update on your various activities with Mark 2 coaches during the year?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby jdfaulkner » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:01 pm

I think you might be right there Richard, though I have to report slow progress for most of the year on this particular project.

From the previous images people can see that I decided to tackle the Mk2c vehicles first as with the cutting and shutting these were going to be the most difficult. Of the body shells required, first up were the Mk2c FK and FO – the body of one of these is shown above along with the sides for the first of the Mk2c TSOs; of which four are required. The process of joining and filing flat the joins on these is proving time consuming, but here are some photographs of where I'm at with things.

1 – Non-toilet side of Mk2c TSO

2 – Toilet side of Mk2c TSO

You can see that regardless of whether the side is going to have a window cut into it for the toilet that I've decided to start of a blank bodyside. Doing it this was also helps with sourcing the donor bodyside material from other vehicles – So far I been using bits of FK with the windows filled and filed flat!

3 – Here is a close-up of the end. Once I've got all coaches to the same state with all paint stripped off and bodyside smoothed off with Wet-and-Dry, I'm going to score new doorframes and add any vertical strengthening strips as seen on the prototype as well as end detail and toilet window frames etc.

4 – If you look inside you can see how I've used plastic strip to tack the bodyside together at cantrail height (A) and lower bodyside (B); these keep the side flush and in correct alignment prior to permanent gluing. The strengthening at the end (C) is for when the original gangway detail is removed to make way for the flexible gangways.

Anyway, once I've finished matching up two sets of sides with donor roofs the Mk2c TSOs will be prepped. This leaves the Mk2c BFK as the remaining vehicle to think about.

That's all for now folks.

Cheers
David
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:39 pm

All, following are the formations that we have chosen for the Mk2 rakes on Mostyn.

First off is that of the 10:04 Holyhead to Euston (Dual Heat, 100mph, Air-braked). As well as a mixture of Mk2a and Mk2c vehicles, this contains a Mk1 RMB and two BGs. As we had a spare RMB available, this is also included as an out-of-use coach coupled to the rear end.

Next we have the 21:10 (SO) Euston to Holyhead (Dual Heat, 100mph, Vacuum-braked). A big rake this one; with the inclusion of three Mk1 BGs and an SLCT we have a total of 14 vehicles [btw, the passenger train marshalling circular states ‘not to exceed 14 vehicles’].

Finally we have the air-conditioned rake, the 10:25 (SO) Euston to Llandudno. We are going to build this at some point in the future so have not yet chosen suitable vehicle numbers except for the Mk1 types as they are included in our current Mk1 build.

Cheers
David
jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:12 pm

It was chemical cappers today as Richard and I set about striping the old paint off the various Mk2 coaches for the Mostyn passenger fleet. Before doing this I thought it was time I did a Vic Berry vehicle pyramid! :ugeek:

jdfaulkner

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun May 13, 2012 12:04 am

Steady progress to report on the Mk2 front. After being stripped of paint, a further careful look and smoothing off of the bodysides, work is presently being done to get the various vehicles on their wheels. I realised that reattaching the interiors would give sufficient strength to the underframe so that I could accurately gauge vehicle/buffer/coupling height.

First off was the Mk2c BFK.

The Mk2c TSO interior required a new join so that eight seating bays could be formed.

The most extensive interior modification (butchery?) was for the FO which was made from two FK interiors.

Bogie wells on the underframes have layers of plasticard added, and after gauging the height with packing, MJT CCUs are temporarily mounted using solvent (limonene).

Cheers, David
jdfaulkner

Postby Jim S-W » Sun May 13, 2012 9:11 am

Great stuff David

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:11 pm

After taking three days off during the bank holiday period (thus making up a full week away from work) I’ve pushed the project on a little. So:

1 - all vehicles now have their interiors bolted in: this showed up how distorted the various parts of the Bachmann model is, the solution seeming to be to hold the underframe and/or interior beneath a hot tap whilst bending it back straight.

2 – All bogies now temporarily attached in place and fixing adjusted for height. Once happy with running these can be permanently attached.

3 – Couplings added to air-braked coaches.

Here are a couple of pictures of the vehicles sitting on Mostyn.

As couplings had been added to the air-braked stock, I decided it was time to take it for a quick drag round the layout, so with adjustment made to one wheelset 60007 set off for a test run: three YouTube videos via the links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoi7TX_SUjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6UVC4IAYFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WXp89l8j4

Cheers, David
jdfaulkner

Postby Khris » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 am

Looks like the paint shop is in for some overtime :D

Khris
Modelling the GWR Downunder
All hints, tips and suggestions will be gratefully accepted
My Workshop viewforum.php?f=120
My Layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=252
Khris

Postby iak » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:29 am

Now I ken what thw 3 link was for...
Bloody great to see them move mind! 8-)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
iak

Postby jdfaulkner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Since the previous update, couplings have now been added to the vacuum-braked Mk2s and new buffers added to all 17 (has anyone else noticed the reduction in quality of recent white-metal castings from MJT?)

Etchings have also arrived for the new toilet windows on the Mk2Cs; and so following scoring of the outline of the new doors on the bodyside (I have to do this first as the guides for scoring need to sit flush on the bodyside) the new windows are going in.

Cheers
Dave

Early and late Mk2C TSO versions

The difference in toilet window sizes of early and late Mk2C TSO is shown here.

Later build Mk2C TSOs had an air-conditioning intake grill (never used) above one toilet window.

The etchings
jdfaulkner

Postby iak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Mmmmm!

8-)
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

iak

Postby jdfaulkner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 am

August update! – following on from the replacement toilet windows, it’s time I got to grips with the other etched components I needed for the Mk2s. After deciding what I needed in terms of etched details, I took various measurements to make sure things matched up, drew up the components, set the total number of components I needed into an A4 sheet, and got the artwork of the PPD.

The first components made up from the etch are the new stepboards needed for the wrap-round doors. An issue I’d been thinking about was how the new bodies would be fixed to the underframes, so I’ve combined the steps with the body fixing and come up with this:

This fits in to the ends of the body and forms a saddle in the body that fits over the ends of the underframe.

As for security within the brake coaches, whilst the solid wall of plastic bachmann provide between passenger and parcels might be effective, an etched cage looks better!

Cheers,
David
jdfaulkner

Postby iak » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Damned clever David
I understand what is what on your etch now - genius 8-)
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Rob Pulham » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Very nice David, I do like the step/saddle idea
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Jim S-W » Wed May 15, 2013 9:05 am

Any update on this Dave?
Jim S-W

Postby jdfaulkner » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi Jim,

Not really. Prior to Christmas I was adding the roof detail on the Mk2Cs (in terms of the proposed air-condintioning covers) but it became obvious that the I would have to join in with the work required on the layout due to the new backscenes. Once Chatham is out of the way I will return to this project.

Dave

Jim S-W wrote:Any update on this Dave?
jdfaulkner

Postby Jim S-W » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks Dave

We're you using southern pride bits for the roof? I'm toying with opening up the windows in an airfix mkd2 for a mk2c.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Penrhos1920 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 am

Dave,

What stripper do you use? It looks so much more effective than the various strippers I've tried.

Richard
Penrhos1920

Postby Dave Millward » Sun May 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi David,

Great work with the Mk 2s...interesting reading.

ATB

Dave
Dave Millward

Location: Leek- just below the snowline in green welly country!

Next

Return to W.I.P