More stock for Outwell

Your latest modelling projects.

More stock for Outwell

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:51 pm

At last I have achieved two things tonight. (1) Firstly I have managed to post something on this forum. (2) I have managed to do some modelling. Work commitments getting in the way, since the end of March.

Here are some pics of my work in progress, Its the bogie coach of the type which ran on the Wisbech & Upwell tramway.
When completed it will join the four wheel version and run on Outwell Village, the layout which is based on the W & U at Outwell.
bogie coach 1.jpg
bogie coach 2.jpg
bogie coach 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alan on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Re: Bogie coach for Outwell Village

Postby Butoxeter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:56 pm

That's lovely work, Alan, neat and clean soldering. I do like the prototype, and I feel I ought to know the origin of this kit, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment...
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Its a D & S Models kit which are no longer produced, which I managed to find on E-bay.
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi steve,

It does indeed, they are both the same apart from the wheel arrangement, and being slightly longer.
Alan

Postby Neil » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Hello Alan, glad to see you've got some time away from the taters. Coach looks very nice already; obviously having practiced on the four wheeler this one will fall together in a matter of minutes. :D On a different, yet related tack have you seen the new Oakwood Press book on the W&U? I'd hope it's a good un, I've got some of their later releases on the railways round here and they're very nice indeed.
Neil

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Hello Neil,

Not been washed away then?

No have not seen that book, but then again not been anywhere to get a sight of much. Did manage to get to Hull show.
Alan

Postby steve1 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Looking forward to towing the new addition round the next opportunity I get to operate. :D

steve
Steve Grantham
East Riding Finescale Group
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Puds » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Alan wrote:Its a D & S Models kit which are no longer produced, which I managed to find on E-bay.

You didn't pay too steep a price now, did you Alan? I know one went the other week on eBay for something like £156 :shock: :o

I managed to pick up one of these sets for a bargain price at Epsom earlier this year..........weren't until I got home though that I realised it was minus it's castings :roll: I'm sure I'll still be able to get by though when the time comes to build them for a future dream project.

Anyway, lovely work there Alan. Ever felt tempted to put it in Titfield blue then?.......................somebody had to ask :lol: ;)
David
You know, it's not just about talking a good model...............but hopefully about modelling it too ;-)
Puds

Postby Puds » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Cookie wrote:
Puds wrote:I know one went the other week on eBay for something like £156 :shock: :o

Holy Cow! Somebody must have wanted it real bad. Makes Gauge 1 look cheap :lol:

It's about the third time I've seen a set crop up in the past several months. Alot of the D&S stuff fetches silly prices now, I even seen someone list an LNWR roof door van kit with a starting price of £35, though it never sold, and then got relisted at £25............they were a first time seller.
David
You know, it's not just about talking a good model...............but hopefully about modelling it too ;-)
Puds

Postby Alan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Puds wrote:
Alan wrote:Its a D & S Models kit which are no longer produced, which I managed to find on E-bay.

You didn't pay too steep a price now, did you Alan? I know one went the other week on eBay for something like £156 :shock: :o

Anyway, lovely work there Alan. Ever felt tempted to put it in Titfield blue then?.......................somebody had to ask :lol: ;)

No Puds, got mine for only a third of that price.
I to have some bits missing, but its only some roof vents.
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 pm

A bit more progress on the bogie coach,I have fitted the sole bars, bogie pivot supports, balcony floor and step detail.
bogei coach 5.jpg

bogie coach4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Got a bit more work done on the coach over the festive break. The bogies are in place as are the buffer beams,buffers and the coupling hooks. Also I have fitted the glazing and added seating and passengers, although the pic's dont show this. Will take some more pic's soon.

workbench 063.jpg

I have also started on a Sentinal steam shunter, which will run the metals of Outwell Village. These loco's did have trials on the Wisbech & Upwell tramway, but proved to be unsuccessful. As I have chosen to fit a Black Beetle motor rather than the recommended Tenshodo, I will have to make a new mounting bracket as the dimensions of the Beetle are different.

workbench 064.jpg

workbench 065.jpg
Alan

Postby steve1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:25 am

That Sentinel will look just right shunting in the yard. :)

Plain black livery I guess?

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Neil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:39 am

The coach is coming on a treat Alan; has snow stopped farming and had a beneficial effect on model making time?

Like the Sentinel lots too, do you remember those awful plasticard ones I built on Lima motor bogies, I may even have one in my bits box. I'll have a look later this morning, but they were just not in the same class as the Nucast kit, or anywhere near it for that matter.
Neil

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 am

Hello Neil, I had two weeks holiday over christmas hence I managed to do a bit of modelling. Snow a bit of a pain but us farmers have to keep moving.

Here is a shot of the interia of the coach. Just for effect when looking in from the outside.

workbench 066.jpg
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 pm

A bit more work done on the coach. I have fitted some of the railings around the end, it seems to be more fiddly than on the four wheeler but it can't be as its exactly the same. Must be me!
workbench 067.jpg

workbench 068.jpg
Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm

At last I have completed the railings around the ends of the coach. Maybe it wont be to long before its finnished.

workbench 070.jpg

workbench 071.jpg

Just noticed one of the top rails needs slight adjustment. More burnt fingers.
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Well its almost finnished, the body is just off to the paint shop. More roof detail to be added, awaiting the roof vents from the casting company.
2010_0330MyPictures0043.JPG

2010_0330MyPictures0044.JPG
Last edited by Alan on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Postby Neil » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Splendid stuff Alan, full passenger service at the next exhibition.
Neil

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:16 pm

All being well Neil, as next show is not till October. So even with my slow progress it should be complete.
Alan

Postby Rippers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Alan wrote:All being well Neil, as next show is not till October. So even with my slow progress it should be complete.

Though you had a show in July?

Paint Splashing Department.
Rippers

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Well this is true, had not forgot. It might be ready for then, if I can find some suitable roof vents or I can find a method of making them.
Alan

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Having spent fruitless time looking around shows for some suitable air vents for the bogie coach, to replace the ones missing from the kit. I decided to try to make some, Here is the outcome.
2011_0103workbench0078.JPG

2011_0103workbench0080.JPG

I made them from a lolly stick and parts of a sprue from a kit, as can been seen in the top photo. First job was to glue a section of the lolly stick to represent the bottom wider part of the vent, to a piece of the sprue. When this had set I placed the assembly in a mini drill held in a vice and turned to the required shape.
Alan

Postby metro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 pm

looking good there Alan
metro

Re: More stock for Outwell

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 pm

I had not realised it is over a year since I posted on this thread, although some of the items have been posted else where on the forum. :o
First up is a pair of horse boxes.
2012_1203outwellstock0089.JPG

The one to the front is of North Eastern origin,and lasted into the early 60's. The second again North Eastern . They are both brass kits from D&S Models, found on ebay.
They are liveried in Teak brown as they were in LNER period
2013_0112outwellstock0006.JPG

2013_0112outwellstock0005.JPG
Alan

Next

Return to W.I.P