Converting a Hornby LMS 4-wheel CCT to P4

Your latest modelling projects.

Converting a Hornby LMS 4-wheel CCT to P4

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi,

I'm still very much attracted to parcels stock and acquired a couple of the early body style LMS CCTs from a trader at Chatham exhibition in June. The main challenge is the underframe - its long wheelbase making some form of compensation or springing absolutely essential for reliable P4 running.

The solution I came up with (based on stuff available to me rather than making new purchases) was to use Masokits variable wheelbase springing units with brass W-irons sweated on to them. This required the removal of all detail within the solebars/headstocks and considerable removal of plastic behind the springs (losing the plastic axle-boxes and w-irons in the process).

Lead pieces have been added to bring the running weight up to 80gms. Replacement buffers are by Dave Franks (Lanarkshire Model Supplies)

There is always plenty of additional detail that can be added to an underframe - particularly important, in my opinion, when the gap between the wheelsets can otherwise look very empty. O.40mm dia. n/s wire was used for the safety loops, brake shoe cross-shafts and linkages. The axle-boxes were retrieved from some old ABS castings for the CCT (cutting off the springs and w-iron)

The completed underframe ready for re-uniting with the body.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: Converting a Hornby LMS 4-wheel CCT to P4

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi,

The bodies of my two vans are now complete - not much to do really :-

- re-positioned the rainstrips
- added etched door handles to replace the plastic mouldings

Hope to take images shortly.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby PeteT » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:50 am

Looking very good Richard - any chance of those 'complete' photos? ;)
Pete
PeteT

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi,

It has taken a long time to get these two LMS CCTs to a state of completion so here they are:-

Both are at the end of their lives and amongst the last few LMS-built examples still in revenue service in June 1977.

I have decided to do a couple of BR-built LMS CCTs to go with these vehicles.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Very Nice Richard,

It's good to see you back it's been a little lonely for Brian and I :D
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Rob Pulham wrote:

Hi Rob,

Life keeps getting in the way of my modelling but the main reason for my lack of productivity in 2015 has been RSI caused by repeating the same soldering and folding actions on a batch of etched freightliner kits. It has taken ages for my wrists to feel right again.

I set myself the target of building 30 models this year - it is early October and my score so far is.......five :(

I suppose that the number of currently active posters has gone up by 50 per cent if it has just been Brian and yourself recently :D

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:
Rob Pulham wrote:

Hi Rob,

Life keeps getting in the way of my modelling but the main reason for my lack of productivity in 2015 has been RSI caused by repeating the same soldering and folding actions on a batch of etched freightliner kits. It has taken ages for my wrists to feel right again.

I set myself the target of building 30 models this year - it is early October and my score so far is.......five :(

I suppose that the number of currently active posters has gone up by 50 per cent if it has just been Brian and yourself recently :D

Cheers,
Richard

I am sorry to hear that Richard.

With regard to the nujmber of poster's, pretty much although Alan has popped in occaisionally.
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby MartinWales » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 am

Hi Richard

Hope everything cIears up with your RSI soon.

Have been absent from FRED for far too Iong-I totted up aIIthe exhibitions I've been to this year either with my own Iayouts or assisting others, and counted 14!

No wonder I feeI knackered!

BTW Have you tried converting the ex NE CCT?
MartinWales

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Martin,

Nice to hear from you :D

MartinWales wrote:BTW Have you tried converting the ex NE CCT?

A good few years ago I did two of the Parkside Dundas LNER long wheelbase CCT kits in P4 (using Bill Bedford springing units). That's probably enough of that vehicle design for Mostyn so I have overlooked the more recent Hornby offering.

I am making some effort to wean myself off a parcels stock fixation - Mostyn now has an NPCCS fleet of 86 - but keep finding more examples I want to do. The forthcoming Rumney Models BR ex-fish vans will no doubt get my attention in due course.

No wonder you're 'cream crackered' if you have done 14 exhibitions this year!!

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby MartinWales » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:22 am

Must confess to doing one PD kit in EM gauge fuIIy compensated for Kinmundy myseIf-it's a nice kit and when three of the Hornby versions came my way for a very advantageous price I thought that it was worth a bit of effort.....
MartinWales

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Martin,

MartinWales wrote:....... and when three of the Hornby versions came my way for a very advantageous price I thought that it was worth a bit of effort.....

That shows a lack of discipline that I am similarly afflicted with :D :D

Three more Hornby LMS CCTs (from the later BR build) are even now sat in the drying cabinet...

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Return to W.I.P