CRT Kits SR/BR bogie scenery van in 4mm scale

Your latest modelling projects.

CRT Kits SR/BR bogie scenery van in 4mm scale

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Dear all,

I have recently got one of these kits to the painting stage if anyone would like some images and thoughts?

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: CRT Kits SR/BR bogie scenery van in 4mm scale

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:59 am

Hi,

Here goes with a few images:-

The most difficult part of the build (for me) was the roof. This is supplied as a roughly-shaped brass component but I do not have either the right equipment or skills to form the correct profile in brass. I therefore swapped to 0.50mm plastic sheet which I formed into a tight regular radius by wrapping it round a length of piping and immersing it in very hot water. I then soldered up a rectangular brass former through the curved sheet was passed several times in very hot water. This had the effect of producing the tight radius at the edges and the gentler radius over the horizontal part of the roof. Some deformation took place and this was filled/sanded a number of times using the activator/superglue method. A number of plastic formers were added inside the roof to maintain this profile over time.

Added depth was given to the vehicle end by using some scratchbuilt plastic, brass and nickel silver components for lamp-irons, bump stops and door furniture. You can see the added plastic fillets fitted to the solebars which support the bodyside stanchions.

A view of the underframe showing the representation of the brake linkages and the compensation units. The kit suggests the use of Roxey compensation units but I had some MJT versions in stock and substituted them.

An ex-works shot showing the overall model. It will have to wait until the weather gets warmer before it enters the paint shops.

I enjoyed making this kit as an exercise in soldering. This is not to the same excellent standard as 4mm brass kits offered by Masterclass models (BR Mk1 CCT) and Colin Craig (Freightliners) but produces a nice model of an interesting prototype if you're willing to give it a go.

Thanks to Dave Faulkner for wielding the camera.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Very nice Richard.

I have an LMS BG that I built from a CRT kit (7mm) I found the body work very good, but it was let down a bit by not much detail on the underframe/bogies.

Thankfully it came with an aluminium extrusion for the roof.
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi,

Another project has dragged itself over the finishing line. Here is S4600 in unusually clean (but prototypically correct) condition in Summer 1977:-

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby MartinWales » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:36 am

Top quaIity as ever sir!
MartinWales

Return to W.I.P