Wright's Farm at Millford

Your latest modelling projects.

Wright's Farm at Millford

Postby Snowy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Here are some progress shots of my current project, Wright's Farm, which will form a scenic section on my 4mm layout. I purchased some Townstreet kits some years ago and have repainted them for this section of the layout. This time I used Winton oil paints in an attempt to match local Derbyshire stone colouring. The main yard and stone walls have been created using Das modelling clay, which I am still experimenting with. I still have a way to go with it and intend to scratchbuild a barn, add extra detail items and interior lighting to some of the buildings.

Snowy

Location: Melbourne, Australia (Derby, England for part of the year)

Re: Wright's Farm at Millford

Postby Khris » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Excellent
Really looks great!
Khris
Modelling the GWR Downunder
All hints, tips and suggestions will be gratefully accepted
My Workshop viewforum.php?f=120
My Layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=252
Khris

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks Khris that is kind of you.
Snowy

Postby Khris » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 am

Well, I love the way you have done that brick driveway.
A brief descrition of how you did it wouldn't go astray...hint hint :)

Khris
Khris

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Snowy,

Like Khris, I would like to know a bit more about how you are using DAS modelling clay, especially the tools you use to work/carve/cut it.

Despite having modelled for over a decade now, it's one of those materials that I've never bothered to learn about - having got comfortable working with plastics.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Khris and Richard, I would be happy to share my approach.

I had previously made some simple, small, rectangular stamps out of brass. The picture shows two of them. The crude handles are made from Milliput which does the job. The cork is mainly used to protect the end of scapels and I used it to allow me to position the end of the stamp for the photo, not because I have been drinking bubbly. At least not today. :)

A spare piece of hard, thin plastic was cut to shape and was covered with a thin smear of Weldbond. I sure any decent wood glue would do. I use Weldbond as I am familiar with its properties. A thin layer of DAS modelling clay was pressed flat to the required thickness. The glue bonds the DAS to the plastic base. While the clay was still damp I pressed each sett or cobblestone using the brass stamp, one at a time. I wanted to have a look that was not strictly regular and doing it by hand achieves that I think. It doesn't take all that long and mistakes can be rectified easily enough before the DAS dries. Once dry I gave it a ink wash and when that was dry used Winton oil paints to shade it. When the oil paint was fully dry I used Mig weathering powders, mainly towards some of the edges.

I hope that explains my method reasonably well. If not I would be happy to clarify.

PS. I would welcome any constructive criticism. I can see from the photos I need to work on the stone walls a bit more.

Cheers
Snowy
Snowy

Postby Khris » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

Excellent, Thanks for that Snowy.

Khris
Khris

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Snowy,

Thanks for the explanation - it was not what I expected.

I'm sure I've seen a technique described where the DAS modelling clay is first allowed to dry out and is then worked on with various scribing instruments. Your technique certainly works and has produced an impressive driveway.

Snowy wrote:PS. I would welcome any constructive criticism. I can see from the photos I need to work on the stone walls a bit more.

To my eyes the main issue with the stone walls is that they are competing with the fine work you have done on the buildings and driveway and coming out second-best. I'm wondering whether these walls would be improved by having defined capping stones and perhaps more colour variation (picking out occasional stones in different grey tones. Only a suggestion.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 am

Richard Oldfield wrote:To my eyes the main issue with the stone walls is that they are competing with the fine work you have done on the buildings and driveway and coming out second-best. I'm wondering whether these walls would be improved by having defined capping stones and perhaps more colour variation (picking out occasional stones in different grey tones. Only a suggestion.

Cheers,

Richard

Thank you very much Richard. Your comments have hit the mark and are very helpful. I was wondering what exactly was bothering me about them and you are right. Leave it with me.

BTW, I had tried carving after the Das had dried but to me it seemed to make for a lot more work and my carving was average. I thought about it and came up with the stamp while damp approach. My first attempt was with a round stamp but I was not happy with it as cobblestones or setts appear to be often rectangular in shape.
Snowy

Return to W.I.P