Lima GWR Railcar

Your latest modelling projects.

Lima GWR Railcar

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:09 am

Well....amazing; I've actually done some modelling this evening!
I picked up an EM Ultrascale conversion set for £2 off the second-hand stall at a local show last weekend and wanted to fit it to something. Having confirmed that it wouldn't fit the modern Hornby chassis (see post in "Help and Advice".....thanks Davef and MartinWales!), a quick look at Ultrascale's website told me that the set I had would suit a DMU/bubblecar, HST, Class 73 or GWR railcar..well, I've always liked the GWR railcars having "met" No.20 on the K&ESR at an impressionable age, so the hunt for a suitable "victim" was on.
Train Times over at Eastbourne had a very nice, nearly unused, example in GWR livery for a reasonable price and so...
Dismantled the railcar.....it came apart quite easily once I realised I needed to remove the buffers :roll:
The trailing bogie was the work of seconds to convert...it took me far longer to remove the tension-lock coupling than to swap the wheelsets over.
Took the powered bogie apart and then vague memories of converting locos to EM back in the '80s re-surfaced.....I needed to drift out the 00 axles from the insulated wheels to get the new axles in.....how did I do it back then? :scratch
A cuppa and a root through the toolbox brought enlightenment....I'd bought some old measuring calipers from a local model engineering shop as part of a job lot wondering what use they'd ever be....well; close them down so they fit behind the flange of the wheel, balance on top of the vice, and drift out the axle using a small jewellers hammer (as used by small jewellers) and punch. Tool abuse? Yes, but the calipers were almost free and at least they were getting used for something!
I know I should have used a wheel puller, but where to get one at 9 o'clock on a friday night?
The rest of the job was simple enough; I used the vice (with protection pieces to prevent damage to the wheel faces) as a press, carefully tightening it a bit at a time until my 25-year-old EMGS B-B gauge just slid in nicely.......
A quick static test (using croc' clips as I haven't any EM track...dunno where the old test track's gone...landfill I expect), reassemble and the old girl immediately looks a lot better (this also prevents bits getting lost).
I'll have to sort out a way of flush glazing that gives more convincing top-lights; also the vents are a bit too low-relief and...
well, I think that's enough for tonight....time for bed!
Simon Hargraves
It's not just a matter of life and death.....it's my HOBBY!
Simon Hargraves

Re: Lima GWR Railcar

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:21 am

Hi Simon,

Judging by the time of your posting, the adrenaline must have been really flowing. :D :D

Ultrascale wheelsets are not, by any measure, the cheapest re-wheeling option but you cannot beat the "fit and forget" quality of them.

Looking forward to more updates............

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby steve1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Wheel puller? :shock:

Nah, biggish screwdriver behind the wheel braced against the 'power block' and heave. ;)

Worked on all my Lima & Hornby diesels (inc 3 x GWR Railcars) when that was all there was in way of diesels.

Quite agree about the quality of the product too. And you can pick up s/hand examples for the old Hornby & Lima stuff for a song.

steve
Steve Grantham
East Riding Finescale Group
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 pm

[quote="steve1"]Wheel puller? :shock:

Nah, biggish screwdriver behind the wheel braced against the 'power block' and heave. ;)

Worked on all my Lima & Hornby diesels (inc 3 x GWR Railcars) when that was all there was in way of diesels.

Quite agree about the quality of the product too. And you can pick up s/hand examples for the old Hornby & Lima stuff for a song.

steve[/quote)
I did sort of think along those lines, but didn't want to risk breaking something.......
Yes, I've been impressed with Ultrascale products since I first messed about with EM (converting things like 33s and 73s) back in the '80s, which was why I snapped this conversion set up without a second thought...it's often the case that this sort of thing ends up on a club stand for a silly price as it's perhaps less likely to sell than old bits of 00 r-t-r or whatever.
I'm off to the Wimbledon show tomorrow, so I'll take a look for any more odds and ends.
Meanwhile the railcar will join the other odds and ends in the standard gauge section of the cupboard, til I get more bits for detailing; next will be stuff like vac' pipes, couplings and some better roof vents.
I'm not sure how to go about glazing it; doing nothing isn't an option......to be honest I'm wondering about getting some etches done for the toplights so I can ditch the 'orrid moulded ones.
As for a layout to run it on, I'm thinking maybe post-WWII GWR for a change.....although another idea would be to model the K&ESR in its early preservation days as I've got a WD saddle tank sitting in the cupboard....we're a long way from that stage anyway.
Who knows, I may even end up re-joining the EMGS at this rate.......
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby MartinWales » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 pm

......And why not?

Come on in Simon-the water's lovely!
MartinWales

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 pm

MartinWales wrote:......And why not?

Come on in Simon-the water's lovely!

...but I might have to do some muh....muh....modelling....... :shock:
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby steve1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I used the SE Finecast Flushglaze on mine but, in my defence, that was about all there was at the time. Maybe the Laserglaze folk will do something. The roof vents are a doddle. Just slice off the moulded ones, drill and glue in the replacements. MJT do the correct pattern if I remember correctly.

Incidentally, replacement buffers are (were?) available. I used ABS whitemetal ones, they're some sort of obscure GWR coach type.

EMGS - go for it! It's easy and it works.

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby iak » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Simon...
Ahhhh go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on..... ;)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Simon Hargraves » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm

iak wrote:Simon...
Ahhhh go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on..... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi Simon,

I hate to add to the the pressure but my vote goes to the EMGS as well (and I'm a member even though I dont and never have modelled in EM).

Cheers,

Richard

ps I've been known to make made-to-measure glazing from thin lexan sheet.
Richard Oldfield

Postby Simon Hargraves » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm

steve1 wrote:I used the SE Finecast Flushglaze on mine but, in my defence, that was about all there was at the time. Maybe the Laserglaze folk will do something. The roof vents are a doddle. Just slice off the moulded ones, drill and glue in the replacements. MJT do the correct pattern if I remember correctly.

Incidentally, replacement buffers are (were?) available. I used ABS whitemetal ones, they're some sort of obscure GWR coach type.

EMGS - go for it! It's easy and it works.

steve

I think I've seen one with the SEF units installed but wasn't all that impressed; if I remember rightly, the bits of glazing for the toplights are so small that the vacform(?) process used to make them is really past its lower size limit.
I think that perhaps individual pieces of glazing for each window with an etch for the bottoms and uprights of the toplights should work if applied carefully, although the result may be rather delicate.
I've had a look at Shawplan's blog and there's no mention of glazing packs for the railcar yet although they're getting warm with GW goods brakes and pannier tanks; perhaps an email would be in order, after all it they don't know that somene wants them, they won't make 'em will they?!
Thanks for the MJT/ABS tip for small detail castings; to be honest I'd half-forgotten the existence of some of these manufacturers, having been rather immersed in the narrow gauge for a decade or so!
There now follows a short intermission while I contemplate:
A) The extremely rare Ian Kirk 009 plastic loco kit I picked up yesterday,
B) The ongoing motorisation of an H0 scale diecast Lisbon tram using a Leopold Halling mechanism and (probably)
C) My naval. :roll:
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby gobbler » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Go on post a pick of your progress.

Scott
There's more than one way to skin a cat.......Fortunately no animals are harmed in my model making
gobbler

Postby Pannier Tank » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:58 am

If enough people show an interest I'm sure Shawplan will produce a Lazer Glaze set for the Railcar.
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby Color fast » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 am

I glazed mine in a similar way to that described in MRJ 6 - the hard way :!:

Maybe there are easier ways today.
Tim
Color fast

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Simon Hargraves wrote:C) My naval. :roll:

If you find any sea moss in there you could also:
D) scenic interlude.

Simon you really are your own worst enemy!
Raphael

Postby Simon Hargraves » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Just realised I used the wrong naval (as in Discipline Act or perhaps Artillery, as opposed to the navel from which small quantities of sea moss......well, that's quite enough of that!)

Must admit that in the absence of something like laser glaze, I was thinking in terms of "the hard way".......in which case I'll have to find a suitable sheet of glazing and just get on with it!
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby steve1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:09 pm

I've resorted to Krystal Kleer on the toplights in the past...

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Bought a copy of C.W. Judge's History of the GWR AEC Railcars at St.Albans today; for a "cheap and cheerful" project this is getting out of hand........... :face:
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby westerner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Good to have met you at St Albans Simon.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Pannier Tank » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Simon Hargraves wrote:Bought a copy of C.W. Judge's History of the GWR AEC Railcars at St.Albans today; for a "cheap and cheerful" project this is getting out of hand........... :face:

So you will have noticed that the Lima Guards / Luggage doors are incorrect?
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby Simon Hargraves » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Good to meet you as well, Alan......I popped back later on but still didn't manage to meet Josh.....another time, hopefully! Nice to see some S&W couplings in operation too as that's what I intend to use on my layout.
I haven't had time yet to take more than a quick look through the book (back late yesterday and an early shift today); not too sure just how far I will go with detailing the Lima body.....I suppose the most obvious single thing is those windows, but as ever the more you look for, the more you find :roll:
I'd like to get hold of a copy of the MRJ (No.6) with the article on detailing the Lima model and have a little think about where to start.
I'm also thinking about a small test track/micro-layout to test run/play trains on......perhaps based on Ken Gibbons' "Penthalk" plan in the Santona book, as realistically it's about all I have room for in my current home and I MIGHT even get around to building 2 turnouts and a bit of plain track :lol:
I've already got a number of wagon kits appropriate to a just post-war setting and I've even got as far as buying a kit for a tubular post signal (Wizard/MSE rather than Ratio) all of which provides an ecscuse* for further procrastination of course.........oh and there's an old Wills kit for an "1854" PT needs building, too......
I picked up the details to rejoin the EMGS at St.Albans from the very friendly chaps on the Society stand; it'll have to wait 'til pay day though due to the purchase of the aforementioned book!
Perhaps this thread should be under "work being thunk about" as opposed to actually "in progress" :lol:
Regards,
Simon
*the phonetic spelling is due to the fact that the ecs button on this pc (the letter between w and y) is broken!
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby Simon Hargraves » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Pannier Tank wrote:
Simon Hargraves wrote:Bought a copy of C.W. Judge's History of the GWR AEC Railcars at St.Albans today; for a "cheap and cheerful" project this is getting out of hand........... :face:

So you will have noticed that the Lima Guards / Luggage doors are incorrect?

Yes, I see what you mean David; I think filling the incorrect aperture and cutting a new one in the right place will be simpler than swapping the doors around!
At least the shell vents that I've had since the late 1980s look spot on, although my original intention to try and keep the original paint finish looks like going by the board :roll:
Looks like I'd best get on with it......... :lol:
Cheers all for your encouragement,
Simon
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Postby Simon Hargraves » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 am

I spoke to a gentleman on the Shawplan stand at Watford on sunday, asked the question about laserglazing for the GWR railcar.....and the answer was, yes, he'll be doing it fairly shortly (although not immediately) :D
So, really it'll be a case of getting on with most of the project for now, do the stuff I can (vents, doors, etc.), probably a repaint, and.......well by the time I've done all that lot I dare say the glazing will have been out for months :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Simon Hargraves
Simon Hargraves

Return to W.I.P