A modern concrete under bridge

A modern concrete under bridge

Postby Butoxeter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Here are a few views of the new concrete bridge installed at Honeybourne recently.

When the OWW line was singled in 1971, a 'modern' single track steel girder span was installed here, where the line crosses the course of the Cheltenham - Stratford line.

With the OWW now being mostly re-doubled, this was the one structure that needed to be replaced (all the other bridges had been left in their former double-track guise).

The track on the former GWR Cheltenham - Stratford main line has long since gone (I visited the area in the early 1980s with Simon Castens, when some of the track was still there but severed, the section under the OWW having latterly been used as a headshunt for movements to/from Long Marston, which have subsequently run over a re-instated direct spur). More recently, a farm access road has been installed under one half of the bridge, in order to permit the closure of a farm O/A type crossing. The remaining area under the bridge is sufficient for a single track line of railway, which is now waiting for the Glos & Warwicks line to push northwards from Broadway and swing round to the still-extant island platform at Honeybourne Junction station. Although this is likely to take several years (they are still 2 - 3 years away from reaching Broadway, as I understand it), we have left what we call 'passive provision' for the single track to pass under the OWW, plus sufficient space for a platform line up at the station.

IMG_9727.JPG

IMG_9739.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9742.JPG

IMG_9743.JPG

I would stress that these locations are not accessible to the public and that I was there on an official work-related visit, using the appropriate track safety procedures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Re: A modern concrete under bridge

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi,

In the bottom image there is what looks to be a black pipe running down the left hand side of the bridge.

Do you know what the purpose of it is?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Butoxeter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:43 pm

We think that it's a track drainage pipe, Richard, from the OWW. I remarked upon it at the time and that's what my colleague (who is more closely involved with the actual works) said.
Butoxeter

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. You know when you look at a photo and something looks out of place - I felt I had to ask.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Butoxeter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Yes, it does seem a bit odd, where it is. The pipe itself is pretty sturdy, however, not some kind of flexibile flimsy stuff...

The deck was jacked into position over the first weekend in October, and was done in less time than planned. The old steel deck has now gone to the Telford & Horsehay Railway.
Butoxeter

Postby Color fast » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:42 am

A view of the old bridge from a similar position.
Honeybourne 16-06-79.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Color fast

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:33 pm

These bridges were "modern" in 1936 or so. Pictured on "Chessington (Chalk Lane)" by the Hull MRS, a model of course based on the unfinished Chessington branch. The prototype has a steel frame covered in concrete because it was thought that would give them protection. Strange to relate that appears to have worked but the one at Tolworth showed signs of road vehicle collision damage. The model was built from pieces of MDF covered with strips of plasticard. As always, I hope this helps.
Bridges.JPG
East Riding Finescale Group
Flashes, bangs and burning smells dept.
Judge Dreadfull

Postby Wally » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:35 pm

There should be no problem running busses under these bridges as they must be over 16 feet headroom or else they will have hight restriction signs fixed to the spans!

Wally
Wally

Return to Buildings and Structures