Georgian Terraced Housing

Georgian Terraced Housing

Postby iL Dottore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am

I have been working now for about 2 years (off and on) on building a row of Georgian terraced houses, closely based upon (but a not direct copy of) the houses in Trinity Church Square in South East London (see here: http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark ... square.htm here: http://wiki.worldflicks.org/trinity_chu ... -0.0938195)&z=18 and http://www.london-se1.co.uk/places/trin ... rch-square). The d**n thing is now finally finished and is - despite many bodges and compromises, dead-ends and foul-ups - fairly satisfactory.

The following photos (and please excuse the quality and colour balance) show the end results:

Row IIFR.jpg

Size Matters.jpg

GT Looking AlongFR.jpg

Underneath The LampostFR.jpg

Doctors Office.jpg

And finally, it's all neat and tidy behind the scenes:

BacksideFR.jpg

The model was created using resin copies of a "master" created in plasticard and embossed plastic sheet. I was lucky enough to have found an architect's drawing of Trinity Church Square - complete with scale bar, which - when resized to 4mm/foot in powerpoint - allowed me to create the plans to build both the facades and the roofs (I still have the masters somewhere....)

There are several interiors installed and such are illuminated (like the Doctor's office).

In all an interesting, if often VERY frustrating, project, which - were I to do over again - I'd do somewhat differently (e.g. scale wall thickness in the plastic master and a thin silicon rubber mould is a recipe for disaster...)

I await your feedback

F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iL Dottore

Re: Georgian Terraced Housing

Postby Butoxeter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am

Stunning, Flavio, very impressive indeed! :)
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Clive » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Wow

Do you have any photos of the building under construction, and of the mould? It would be great to see how you put it together.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby John B » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Really lovely work, Flavio. Like Clive, I'd be very interested to see more details of the construction.
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby iL Dottore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Clive,

I have posted various odds and ends about the construction on another site (and over the various incarnations of said site) and I'll be writing up the process for a model railway magazine (sooner, or perhaps, later).

I do have some photos. First up the plans I created in powerpoint:
4mm Sketch for Georgian Terraced House - I.JPG
4mm Sketch for Georgian Terraced House - II.JPG

And the "proof of concept" foamcore board mock-up (using the plans I drew up)

Georgian Terrace 1.jpg

I then built the plasticard masters:

GT Master Facade.jpeg
GT Master Side Wall.jpg
GT Master Mansard Roof.jpeg

Here is a pile of resin castings

Castings From Moulds.jpg

And finally, work in progress:

GTH 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iL Dottore

Postby Clive » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks iL Dottore.

I look forward to reading the article when it is published.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Tim Hale » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Is there any shrinkage during the resin casting process and what do you use to join the castings to:

1. Each other
2. Other material

Thank you
Tim Hale

Postby iL Dottore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 pm

AHSM1 wrote:Is there any shrinkage during the resin casting process
I didn't check, but didn't encounter any notable shrinkage. The MicroMark resin is pretty good stuff to work with
AHSM1 wrote:what do you use to join the castings to:
1. Each other

2 part epoxy resin and/or UHU "kraftkleber" (a premixed epoxy reinforced with glassfibre particles was also useful).
I used two types of resin: one from MicroMark in the US (which epoxied well) and one from a UK source (which didn't epoxy well). Occasionally superglue was used with the MicroMark resin. But I wasn't too happy with it
AHSM1 wrote:what do you use to join the castings to:
2. Other material
2 part epoxy
iL Dottore

Return to Buildings and Structures