RTP To Fine(r)scale: Tethampton Shed

RTP To Fine(r)scale: Tethampton Shed

Postby iL Dottore » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Following on from my recent post about whether or not RTP can serve as the basis for something finer, I attach some photos of a work in progress which I've called Tethampton - it being an amalgamation of the features of two GWR engine sheds: Tetbury (for the attached water tower) and Moretonhamptead (for the attached signal box)
shed iv.jpg

shed v.jpg

The following photos show (more or less) how effective adding lighting can be
upgraded shed.jpg

shed ii.jpg

The base models for this project were the Bachmann Scenecraft Brick Engine Shed and the Brick Watertower. I mated the two buildings together minimizing the join (which was then further disguised by adding downspouts) I then added shed doors, the signal box (with interior), interior lighting to the shed and (barely visible) access hatch to tank, access platform and ladder. Still to do - weathering and some fine detailing (all the connecting wires will eventually be buried under the baseboards). It ain't finescale, that's for certain, but I think it does take the two Bachmann models away from the commonplace.

Comments, thoughts, criticisms appreciated.

F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iL Dottore

Re: RTP To Fine(r)scale: Tethampton Shed

Postby Butoxeter » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I like it, Flavio, it's a good combination of R-T-P structures!

Assuming that it's GWR in flavour, the only comment I would make is that the windows of the signalbox don't quite seem to capture that company's style - wonder if perhaps some replacement etched brass ones from Modelex might fit the bill?
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby chrisf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:32 am

Flavio, don't be so dogmatic that it ain't finescale! Part of the finescale attitude of mind IMHO is that the end result should look right. This is based on two real buildings so it has that going for it. The ready-made products from which you crafted it were well chosen.

The real Moretonhampstead signal box always reminds me of a conservatory. I forget its origins but the shed to which it was attached was built by an independent company which was soon taken over by a larger company, the South Devon, which itself later [but well before the grouping] fell under the ownership of the Great Western. There were several bouts of resignalling work on the branch, the most drastic being in 1927 when Newton Abbot was being rebuilt and presumably the GWR took the opportunity to do some work on the branch while men and materials were available. In all of these upheavals the signal box remained untouched. I would explain yours as having started out as a ground frame which was given protection against the weather. There being no "style" for such work, a design could easily have been knocked up to fit the circumstances. Consider the distinctive style and shape of the box at Fairford, which was built to fit a particular site by an independent company that never reached its objective and ended in a field. Later it became part of the Great Western but is often cited as a"typical" GW branch. [Let's not open that can of worms!]

Chris
Chris Foren

He who expects nothing is rarely disappointed
chrisf

Postby iL Dottore » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 am

Butoxeter wrote:the only comment I would make is that the windows of the signalbox don't quite seem to capture that company's style - wonder if perhaps some replacement etched brass ones from Modelex might fit the bill?

Actually, the windows were made by laying clear plastic over a copy of the 4mm plan of the Moretonhampstead Signal Box (which came from from the orginal 4mm plans in my reference book on GWR termini) and thin white paper adhesive strip was used to create the window bars - again according to the plan. But you are quite right - it looks nothing like the standard GWR Signalbox windows - I wonder if this was something put up by a local contractor (see Chris F's comment above)
iL Dottore

Postby Neil » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:42 am

That's very neat work Flavio, mating the different components together definitely works, but I wonder if toning down the engine shed window frames would help to give the building age. At the moment they put my house windows to shame, now where did I put the bucket .....
Neil

Postby iL Dottore » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Neil wrote:.... but I wonder if toning down the engine shed window frames would help to give the building age. At the moment they put my house windows to shame .....
Oh indeed, a coat of "grot" is definitively foreseen for the whole shed - with the windows getting special attention 8-) . I'm also thinking of adding "rust" to the window frames next to the water crane. As mentioned, a work in progress.

F
iL Dottore

Postby Butoxeter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:49 pm

iL Dottore wrote:
Butoxeter wrote:the only comment I would make is that the windows of the signalbox don't quite seem to capture that company's style - wonder if perhaps some replacement etched brass ones from Modelex might fit the bill?

Actually, the windows were made by laying clear plastic over a copy of the 4mm plan of the Moretonhampstead Signal Box (which came from from the orginal 4mm plans in my reference book on GWR termini) and thin white paper adhesive strip was used to create the window bars - again according to the plan. But you are quite right - it looks nothing like the standard GWR Signalbox windows - I wonder if this was something put up by a local contractor (see Chris F's comment above)

Ho ho, so what do I know then?! ;) :lol:

I think the suggestion about them being installed by a local contractor is probably correct, in that case!
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby chrisf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:17 pm

I've just had a rummage in two books about the Moretonhampstead branch. The consensus is that the box dates from about the time of the conversion from broad to narrow gauge [May 1892] when full signalling was installed. There is no argument that it is non-standard but who built it and why it was at ground level and as a lean-to to the shed is not stated by the eminent historians of the branch. The useful bit is that it sets a precedent for non-standard buildings on a GWR branch [which, by this time, it was].

Chris
Chris Foren

He who expects nothing is rarely disappointed
chrisf

Return to Buildings and Structures