Can RTP Become Finescale?

Re: Can RTP Become Finescale?

Postby Clive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Andy C wrote:
I must admit to being a bit cautious about RTP buildings - I'm now starting to see layouts at shows that have used them and they look wrong - the building style quite often doesnt suit the geographical location, They are often just the basic product with no attempt at repaint / weathering / detail and all off a sudden, layouts all sort to look identikit.

Hi Andy

That's what I trying to say in my post about the depot buildings. When they are plonked in the wrong geographical location, they are normally incorrectly sited and/or have numerous unworkable features. How many diesel depots have the Peco loco pits? The Peco pits are ideal if you intend get in-between the frames to rake out the ash pan or oil up the inside valve gear. Not deep enough to work on a traction motor unless you are under 3ft 6ins high. :shock:
Look how many layouts have a goods shed where even the tight turning circle of a horse and cart would be pushed to be able to get in and out for loading :o Even worse are the ones where there is no road access to the goods shed, cattle dock etc but some woofing great arctic has got itself wedged in between the shed and coal staithes. :(
The quality of RTP has improved but where they are plonked often shows a total lack of understanding of how a railway works. :?
Last edited by Clive on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Dave and his mutt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Point taken Clive although I'd suggest that in many cases, it's largely down to poor observation of the prototype. Fine for somebody who just wants to add a bit of play value to a train set, we all had to start somewhere. For anyone seriously wishing to portray an authentic scene though, considerably more thought about relative positioning of buildings and appropriate (historically and geographically) architectural styles is an absolute necessity if the overall effect is going to look right.
It can be done using RTP with the application of logic and a little inventiveness.

Dave.
Dave Smith.

Elevating mediocrity to an art form...

http://maxstafford60093.wordpress.com/
Dave and his mutt

Postby Andy C » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Dave and his mutt wrote:Point taken Clive although I'd suggest that in many cases, it's largely down to poor observation of the prototype..

Thats hit a very big nail on the head there Dave. I sometimes fret about the length of time I spend looking at buildings before attempting a model of them - Everything has got to be drawn from the area. Im going to be shortly involved in building a largish industrial layout with a club mate and the research for the buildings (loosely based on ICI Blackely) has already started - and its likley to be a good year before the scalpel goes anywhere near the plasticard.

Dave and his mutt wrote:For anyone seriously wishing to portray an authentic scene though, considerably more thought about relative positioning of buildings and appropriate (historically and geographically) architectural styles is an absolute necessity if the overall effect is going to look right.
It can be done using RTP with the application of logic and a little inventiveness.
Dave.

Absolutely - Cant disagree with that at all, but the individualistic nature of various buildings should be taken into consideration - a row of terraces modelled anywhere from the mid 80's onwards (and probably before that) is going to have extensions, new bathrooms and other alterations (which will affect wastewater pipes, windows possibly), as well as different paint jobs so that a row of RTP terraces without a nod in that direction just aint going to look right.

My biggest gripe was seeing a layout at a show firmly pitched in the North West (East Lancs to be exact) with a row of terraces (Scaledale?) clearly built to London Building Regs - you just dont see that round here!
Theres only one way of life, and thats your own.

Andy Cooper
http://newheymodelrailway.wordpress.com/
Andy C

Previous

Return to Buildings and Structures