Done rolling

Done rolling

Postby Rippers » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:25 pm

Now I have to admit to having a bit of a fascination with grounded coach and wagon bodies. In a sense they bridge that gap between structure and rolling stock, perhaps in many cases having a life now in a roll that they were never designed for but because of it still existing today (when so many of their like have long gone).

In some cases a mystery to the interested observer as to what the item once was, but nevertheless often cracking inspiration for a scanic model (which is why they apeal to me).

Take this small selection all clustered together within a few yard of each other in a small hamlet of cliff top holiday dwellings on the outskirts of Skipsea on the East Yorkshire coast .....(just around the corner from ever popular Mr Moo’s ice-cream parlour :mrgreen: if you know the area!). Just a few of the last survivors of the many hunderds of ex-railway, bus and other bodies that found use as holiday homes dotted this coast from the late 40's onwards in the pre-static caravan days. Many surviving long enough to form part of my childhood holiday memories of the 70's.

Firstly, clearly visible for what it is, but by virtue of its position in relation to the sea showing scant signs of its original livery (or any other paint for that matter! :shock: ) is this 4 or 6 wheeler ..... North Eastern origin im guessing given the area its located in.

Next, and far more hidden under various claddings and additiones is this longer bogie coach (or part of given the differing shaped ends).

Lastly .even more hodden behine various ramshakle additions and many years of paint applications is this ............
.err tramcar body :? (well it ,or was ....is rail mounted!)
Seen here in a better shot by tram enthusiast P Derrik of the seaward side the body reveals itself to be the lower saloon of a double deck Hull Car.
East Riding Finescale Group

Paint Splashing Department.
Rippers

Re: Done rolling

Postby Adam » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:22 am

You might say NER, but the roof profile of the carriages suggests GNR to me, not that I've anything to back that up. It's amazing what does appear from time to time however. The Bluebell have recently taken delivery of this:

http://extension3363.fotopic.net/c1746917.html

Apparently this is an LB&SCR vehicle from the 1860s, it's been a garden shed for rather more than a century...

Adam
Adam

Postby 31A » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:09 pm

From the style of panelling (as well as roof profile), I would say the first one is definitely of Great Northern origin. From the roof profile, the second one could well be as well, in fact the end with the window in possibly gives the impression of a bow-ended design and if so probably a very early gangwayed coach. Unfortunately, looks as though it's too much altered / too far gone to be worth preserving as (if so) it would be quite an historic vehicle.
Steve Pearce
31A

Postby John B » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:46 pm

This

former garden shed is now rolling again, thanks in no small part to Stephen Middleton, the Highland Railway Society (who sponsored it's removal from Brighton's Preston Park depot before demolition) and the Yorkshire Dales Railway - it's the former Pullman Car, "Balmoral", on a borrowed set of bogies. This is the good side - there's a lot of restoration work needed to be done. The graffiti, sadly, was done by chavscum who broke into Preston Park.. :evil:

John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby James » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm

I'd love to know what happened to the Hull Tram body as I suspect would my dad - where was that Neil?
James

Postby Rippers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:20 pm

James wrote:I'd love to know what happened to the Hull Tram body as I suspect would my dad - where was that Neil?

The tram was with the other two coach bodies at Skipsea ........... for certain it has been there some years though as you can see was getting pretty near the edge when I took those shots last year.

There used to be a lot more along this coast ......... including one of the original Clayton Railcar trailers (for use with the Sentinel and Clayton Railcars) that was at Cowden for many a year. Now that would have made an interesting restoration project.

Though just a bit further down the coast the body of the ex-North London coach brought in for use on the Spurn Head line still stands to this day....making the surival rate for the coaching stock used on the Spurn line 100%! :P

Rippers

Postby John B » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:12 pm

The Vintage Carriage Trust has this very useful database at http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/search.asp - it suggests that the carriage at Skipsea is indeed an ex-GN 6 wheel 5 compartment 3rd.

Amazing how many relics there are to be found in fields, in use as sheds, holiday cottages, etc.
John Bardwell
John B

Postby Rippers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Mind grounded wagon bodies can also throw up some unusual items above and beyond the usual standard van body.............

This brake van body (judging by the internal door its not a BR Standard but an LNER or BR Build LNER design) currently languishes in a field not far from Robin Hood airport (near Doncaster).

Not the obvious choice for an animal feed store or similar.

Rippers

Postby John B » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Neil - that looks in better condition than most of your brake van models! :mrgreen:
John Bardwell
John B

Re: Done rolling, started storing!

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 pm

A grounded Hornby Siphon H
In a moment of madness I decided that the coal processing plant on my exhibition layout, Brockley Green SE4
really needed a grounded van body to act as a bag store. But what? As a true Yorkshire man it had to be
something cheap and my eyes fell on the Hornby Siphon H I had been given mainly because it had a buffer
missing.
It had been destined for a parcels train but replacing the missing buffer defeated me. The body was deemed too
long to be installed as it was, and so I decided to cut it in half and have it projecting from the end scene. Then
the full moon rose.
If I cut out of the half of the body that was going into the scrap box, one of it's end doors, I could graft it into the
other end as an open example. This meant cutting the donor door plus all the way around and filing it down to a
dead size.
Then I drilled a hole into the still closed door and filed outwards to create an opening. I suppose I could have cut
around the door opening with a fine enough saw but I didn't have such an item and in any case I would have then stood
more chance of cutting off one or more of my fingers.
The enclosed photo is taken from one of those taken by Mike Wild for his Hornby magazine and I thank him for it.
Grounded van body.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Judge Dreadfull on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flashes, bangs and burning smells dept.
Judge Dreadfull

Postby Rippers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 pm

A recent break in the Lake District afforded time for a brief stop at the Yorkshire Dales line on the way over where the body of this saloon, though grounded, appears to be undergoing some degree of conservation work.
g1.jpg

The notice on the coach attested to some royal connection.

g2.jpg

Be nice to see it up and running at some point. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rippers

Return to Buildings and Structures