Railwaymen's cottage front door colours

Railwaymen's cottage front door colours

Postby Clive » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

I am researching the possibility of a new layout. It will be a LNWR country station and as such would have close by a row of LNWR railwaymen’s cottages. I intend to set in the 1960s, pre corporate image. Does anyone know what colour the front doors of the railway owned cottages would be? Would they have been painted the regional colour (if they had been repainted after 1948) or would the occupants have a choice of front door colours within a range set by BR? Would they be allowed to paint their own front doors a colour of their choice not that of BR?

Would the cottages be railway owned or would they have been passed on to the local council by the 1960s?

Any information of window frame, gutter and drain pipe colours would be welcomed as well.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Re: Railwaymen's cottage front door colours

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 am

Hi Clive,

The LNWR Society Premier Portfolio No.16 is a survey of company houses written by Bob Miller including plans and photographs. It lists the original colour scheme (up to 1923) as :-

Window frames, door frames and sills = chocolate brown
Window sashes and glazing bars = white
Doors, bargeboards, canopy brackets, gutters, drain pipes, rendering, fences, dates and other external wood and metalwork = stone colour (buff)

Most of the images are from the 1990s but there are a few earlier shots.

I'll happily lend you my copy.

Also, BMRG's Dave Goodwin took a series of detail photographs of an LNWR terrace at Queensferry before we built ours for Mostyn. I can ask if you can borrow them.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Clive » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Cheers Richard,
I know where to get information when I need it. I have be pondering a small country junction station based on the track plan of Edington Junction (S&DJR) for some time. I have always liked the LNWR wooden station buildings, a lovely drawing of Burnage Station appears in the LMS Architecture book by Anderson and Fox, it looks ideal for my planned station. In the same book is a drawing of a LMS timber and asbestos small goods shed that will fit nicely with my idea. And there are drawings for a LNWR station master’s house and other grades cottages in the same book. Job done so I thought, then the grey cells kicked in, what colour doors would the railwaymen’s cottages have had?

The LNWR had quite a few branch and secondary lines that went west to east, normally linking up with the GNR or GER. So the junction with no name is on one of these, and like many small junctions it was built on a green field site many miles from the hamlet it was named after. The only community would be those who worked on the railway so a row of cottages on Station Road who be appropriate. The flow of traffic would be passing DMU passenger trains, with a connecting branch service. A parcels and fitted freight trough services, may be detaching a CCT to run as a swinger down the branch. A pick up freight which will serve the branch as well. The main reason for the branch remaining open is the power station at its far end having a regular delivery of coal.

Edington Junction3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Color fast » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Its an interesting question.

I cannot reply for the North Western, but the Western Region in the 50s had green doors for staff housing. This was painted by the official painters.
Tim
Color fast

Postby Clive » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Cheers Tim

Perhaps we should start compiling the different railway/region colours of non-trackside buildings.
There are books galore about the minor differences of locomotive liveries but what colour was the drivers front on his house? It is information like this that we could well lose but I feel it is an important aspect of the social side to railway history. I also think it is nice to get things right on my train set.

Clive
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Return to Buildings and Structures