Mold Junction shed

Mold Junction shed

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 am

Hi,

In connection with Tim's next project, the two of us plus John Dixon (the co-author of Railways around Saltney - A Pictorial Record) paid a visit to Mold Junction shed last Friday. The shed currently forms part of a scrapyard, is no longer watertight and will probably have to be demolished in the not too distant future - it is now nearly 50 years since it was closed. The back of the shed is viewable and photographable from Saltney Ferry Road but the side nearest the railway line is covered by trees.

The side away from the railway line and the front of the shed are only properly viewable by entering the scrapyard's property (and we had permission to do this). The manager of the site was polite and helpful but we were instructed that, whilst we could take measurements to our heart's content, we could not enter the shed (safety considerations) nor take photographs of it from their property. I formed the impression that the scrapyard business had previously had to deal with unexpected/impolite visitors and this had coloured their view of railway enthusiasts.

Tim now has most of the information he needs to start planning how to re-create the shed in 4mm scale as of 1961.

Some of Tim's images will be posted in this thread when he gets back home.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: Mold Junction shed

Postby Butoxeter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:The manager of the site was polite and helpful but .................we could not ...................take photographs of it from their property.

I formed the impression that the scrapyard business had previously had to deal with unexpected/impolite visitors and this had coloured their view of railway enthusiasts.

But that's a very interesting contradiction/contrast in attitudes, in some ways. If he truely wanted to be helpful, why would he have stopped you taking photos from his property? Was there something else on site he didn't want photographed?

On the other hand, if he had had bad experiences with railway enthusiasts, it's perhaps a bit unexpected that he would be 'polite and helpful' on this occasion?...
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Dave Millward » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:12 am

Rich,

I've nudged Nick Allsop re the missing pics of the number 2 signalbox at MJ, he is going through his collection now. He asks whether Tim has approached the contacts which he suggested during the Bracknell weekend?

See you soon

Dave
Dave Millward

Location: Leek- just below the snowline in green welly country!

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 am

Hi Tim,

Butoxeter wrote:
Richard Oldfield wrote:The manager of the site was polite and helpful but .................we could not ...................take photographs of it from their property.

I formed the impression that the scrapyard business had previously had to deal with unexpected/impolite visitors and this had coloured their view of railway enthusiasts.

But that's a very interesting contradiction/contrast in attitudes, in some ways. If he truely wanted to be helpful, why would he have stopped you taking photos from his property? Was there something else on site he didn't want photographed?

On the other hand, if he had had bad experiences with railway enthusiasts, it's perhaps a bit unexpected that he would be 'polite and helpful' on this occasion?...

I think my post would have been better had I distinguished more clearly between the manager of the scrapyard when we visited and the owner(s) of the scrapyard business. The manager was polite and helpful but had received clear instructions from the owner(s) that he was not to permit any photography of the shed from their property.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Butoxeter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks for clarifying, Richard. It's nonetheless an 'interesting' response from the current owners..

You mentioned the difficulty of getting photos from the track side, is there another angle that isn't in the scrapyard that still allows some decent shots?

Notwithstanding this, hopefully you've all managed to get sufficient information for the project!
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Tim,

Butoxeter wrote:You mentioned the difficulty of getting photos from the track side, is there another angle that isn't in the scrapyard that still allows some decent shots?

Possibly in winter, when the foliage has disappeared, you might be able to get some shots from the far side of the main line at the rear of the LNWR-built houses on Ewart Street.

Having spent a few hours with Tim calculating out brick courses and the dimensions of various concrete lintels, I think we got pretty close to a working drawing of the front of the shed for modelling purposes.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby KevinBays » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:20 am

Having spent a few hours with Tim calculating out brick courses and the dimensions of various concrete lintels, I think we got pretty close to a working drawing of the front of the shed for modelling purposes.

I only have photos for nearly all my structures, but I do have 'footprint' dimentions on a 40'/inch engineers drawing. Are their any good tips for calculating height on 'random stone' type buildings.

Kevin
Kevin Bays
KevinBays

Postby Clive » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm

KevinBays wrote:

I only have photos for nearly all my structures, but I do have 'footprint' dimentions on a 40'/inch engineers drawing. Are their any good tips for calculating height on 'random stone' type buildings.

Kevin

Do your photos have any people or vehicles in front of them? If several humans you can see who are the tall and short people and guesstimate their height, and use this dimension as a guide. Better still if it is the good lady in front of the building as you meassure her to get a ture height. Road vehicles are better tahn pople as dimensions or drawings of most common types are avaiable. Use the vehicle height as a guide.

Houses normally have doors of about 6ft 3ins to 6ft 6ins, so doors can be a good guide.

Steps are another potential guide as they are commonly 9ins high.

Street furniture like post boxes, telephone boxes, dustbins etc. are of known heights so if one of them is infont of a building then use that as a guide.

Hope this helps.

Clive

PS failing any of these there was an article in a 1960's MRC that involved sines, cosines and other such maths that is only useful to pass exams.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby KevinBays » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:50 pm

PS failing any of these there was an article in a 1960's MRC that involved sines, cosines and other such maths that is only useful to pass exams.

I have one pictue with a Ford Anglia in front of the good shed, all the other pictures are deserted. Sadley every single building was demolished in 1971, the only remaining structure left is the viaduct which is still in use today.

So if anyone knows of the specific MRC article or has the method of calculation to hand that would be great.

Kevin
Kevin Bays
KevinBays

Postby Clive » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Kevin

Where are you modelling? many railway buildings were built to a style, so there may be drawings from another station which could help with the height dimensions.

As for teh MRC artilce (at least I think it was an MRC), I recall trying to follow the authors logic and wound up lost.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby KevinBays » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:20 pm

St. Ives (Cornwall) is my subject. But getting back on topic, I was wondering what method of calculation Tim & Richard used for Mold Junction shed.

Kevin
Kevin Bays
KevinBays

Return to Buildings and Structures