Converting DCC fitted loco to DC

Standard variable 12 volts DC control, wiring and operation, etc.

Converting DCC fitted loco to DC

Postby Clive » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:55 am

Today I came home from my local model shop with a new Peak loco. Trouble with Bachman they seem to do the locos in the liveries I want with DCC chips inside. I was informed that there was a blanking plate in the box. :( OK no problem. ;)

After undoing all the screws that hold the body on (and losing one) I changed the chip for the blanking plate. Body back on, out to man shed, loco on track, controller turned "go faster"......loco stood still :( not a flicker. :( What had I done. :? Back into the warm, body off, all looked right, back out to man shed, still no movement. :( Swapped the blanking plate with chip, nothing. :( Blanking plate back on, this time the other way round. Nothing. :( Spotted that this time it was on wrong, :( which meant I had it on right in the first place. :). Silly little circuit board off and I worked out which wires were to be soldered together to hard wire the motor. I was just about to warm up the hot stick, when I thought let’s see if there is a problem with the track. :idea: A Deltic was placed on the track, no zoom when power was applied. :( :( :(

I have been starting to wire in some new signals, so had been working on the control panel adding the new switches. I needed to move an existing switch, the one that isolates the transformer and controller mounted in the panel box, if there is a problem and enables power to come from the external spare controller. It had been switched to spare controller position....hence no go :( pushed the switch, ZOOOOOOOM went the Detic, some silly twit had forgot to place the controller in the "no go" position. :o

I rebuilt the Peak, with the blanking plate in the right position and what a nice runner it is :)
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Re: Converting DCC fitted loco to DC

Postby metro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Why remove the chip the loco will work on DC with it fitted ??
I find that they are less likey to storll on a dead spot with a chip fitted
metro

Re: Converting DCC fitted loco to DC

Postby Clive » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Mozzer

I know that they will run on DC with the chip in place what I don't know is what effect DC in the long term has on the chip/loco motor. I am sure so techno geezer will tell me but that does not matter the main reason for removing it is that I have a good mate who buys ones without a chip and has a DCC layout, he is getting it as a present on Monday down our club.

Clive
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Return to DC Control