Errol Street - Victorian Broad Gauge [Oz]

If you prefer, post in the forum for your scale, and paste a link here - we can lock the link for you

Errol Street - Victorian Broad Gauge [Oz]

Postby D6775 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Some of the following is a cross posting from RMWeb so some may have read it!!

Well, a little background to start! In 2002 i had my first trip to Oz part of the time I spent in Melbourne and did a few railway bits and pieces, well i was suitably impress with the old GM's still kicking around the broad gauge gave me the impetus to think about a small model. Well, at the time there was not much on the market and so eventually it died a slow death. About two years ago i started trawling the internet to see what I could cobble together from various other rtr items and came across a couple of new Australian manufactures planning the models I was after! thankfully most were planned well into the future!

Last year I made my second visit to the other side of the world, again spending time around Melbourne and infact managing to get round the main depot and take numerous pictures (some of which can be seen here). Earlier this year plans started to formulate with some of the models due this year. A trip to the EM do at Bracknell operating Tim Easters layout made a chance contact with Ian Hunter who is by chance creating a model based on similar prototype, Ian has supplied me with numerous plans and information which will be invaluable! After toying with various ideas, I eventually decided (for ease!!) to plump for EM gauge but with correct sleepers and spacing for 3.5mm-1' scale representing 5'3" broad gauge.

Well, I have been busy since the above post made it on RMweb, with some A class loco's currently winging there way around the world has given me a bit of a kick to get something done!

I have managed to finish the track on board 1 (the test bed!! once i have done this it might expand to a few more boards!!).

Overview:

T374:

T374:

Apologies for all the phots being of T374, its the only loco iI have for the layout at the mo, but the fleet will soon expand!

Track Comparison:

Thought i'd lay a piece of standard Peco track along side the broad gauge so people can get an idea of what the track is like!

Cheers.
D6775

Re: Errol Street - Victorian Broad Gauge [Oz]

Postby Dukedog » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Al and welcome to the forum.
What an interesting first post too!
I'm glad you posted this project because I must have missed it over on RMWeb probably due to post swamping on that forum.
I must admit at being totally ignorant of Australian railways either standard gauge or broad gauge, so will watch and learn here.

Thanks for posting.
Regards
Frank
Why do people always say " No Offence" just before they offend you ?
Dukedog

Postby D6775 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Frank, hopefully i'll learn a few things too, this is after all my first 'proper' layout!!

Anyway, latest progress:

Currently attempting to ballast using Klear, but not getting much success, have only done a little ballasting before never with much success mind, but we'll see how we go!!
D6775

Postby D6775 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Right, I have been plowing on with using Klear to ballast with, its not brilliant, but i think i might be getting somewhere. Unless I am doing something wrong it doesn't seem as easy as has been made out, but here goes:

I'm thinking once weathered and with a little undergrowth I might just get away with it!!
D6775

Postby Dukedog » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Ballasting looks fine from the pictures Al and I think it will look ok when weathered down a bit (or a lot depending on your taste!) Being a MPD where locos stand the tracks would be pretty grotty.
I wonder what material you used for that, It seems very fine, N gauge ballast perhaps?
Regards
Frank
Why do people always say " No Offence" just before they offend you ?
Dukedog

Postby D6775 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Dukedog wrote:Ballasting looks fine from the pictures Al and I think it will look ok when weathered down a bit (or a lot depending on your taste!) Being a MPD where locos stand the tracks would be pretty grotty.
I wonder what material you used for that, It seems very fine, N gauge ballast perhaps?

Its Woodland Scenics fine ballast, from memory, and my reference pictures of Dynon Depot in Melbourne the ballast is very fine, almost sand like. I wouldn't use it for my UK outline stuff but think it should work well for 3.1mm:1'.
D6775

Postby James » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:25 pm

This looks like a fantastic project!

I like the scale and gauge combination - I've read about it being used by Austrailian modellers before but I've not seen an example until this. I like the way it combines two common discaplines (H0 and EM) to produce something totally different :)
James

Postby Pugsley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 pm

That loco looks familiar - I'm sure its appeared somewhere in Scotland before :wink:

The ballasting looks fine to me, and it looks like a very interesting project indeed. Again, I'd missed this over on RMweb too.
The power and the money, the money and the power,
minute after minute, hour after hour
Pugsley

Postby D6775 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Well, after a LOT of waiting, my next two Aussie loco's finally turned up this morning with a bloody customs bill attached!! Cheers then!!

So, wheels have been re-gauged, and bogie frames spaced out. Might need a little fettling as they are not that snug on the spigots. Not that much side play on the bogies now either so curves could be a problem, we'll have to see and have a play!!

Anyway, phots!!

Image Image

Ballasting is pretty much done, though I am still not 100% happy, got a lot of bubbles i need to fill somehow.

Anyway, off to the promised land shortly to include some photographic research!! And some A class thrash!!
D6775

Postby D6775 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Well, its been a while, but i've been re-wheeling the Aussie fleet, so a small update here too.

The Fleet:

An overview of the board, warehouses have been resurrected form my old layout back home. It had been store in the garage so is a little damaged, should look the part with a little refurbishment. Will most likely just keep three out of the four ends.

All for now!
D6775

Return to Broad gauge