Dock Road

Dock Road

Postby PhilEakins » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Well, Pint having pioneered a way into the thick undergrowth of this part of the forum, I thought I'd better trot along after him before he gets too far ahead, particularly as he knows what this is all about.

The Story

At the last Taunton get together I rashly committed myself to a layout in a year. Arriving home I got out the trusty Templot and a map and drafted myself a heck of a layout (historically accurate too) - but I live in a small terraced house sharing my modelling facilities with my youngest son's bedroom, and he is into war gaming. I just didn't have any room that he didn't (selfishly in my opinion .... just because it's his room :shock: ) want.

So, the Authorities graciously agreed that I could spend several pounds sterling on opening up an area under the sitting room , we live on a hill, on the basis that I would actually built something. Kenny, the contractor having pick axed (and I mean pick axed - every inch of it) through thick clay, I now have an area, not finished - but an area I can call me own. Think Hobbit here.

The Layout

I am a historic modeller (not having a model yet of course) and have had a particular interest in Sheerness LCDR, later Sheerness Dockyard, for many a year. The 1862 OS sheet shows a layout which can be suitably altered in length (so as to eliminate points across baseboard joints) which would fit the room I am allowed. So, that is presently the plan.

Luckily I have a number of drawings from the Plans Arch, before it went off to the black hole at York, and there are some on-line research sites to help.

Watch this space.

Phil
PhilEakins

Re: Dock Road

Postby Pugsley » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 pm

PhilEakins wrote:At the last Taunton get together I rashly committed myself to a layout in a year.

Ah yes, I remember that - I wondered how you were getting on with it :mrgreen:

I look forward to seeing your progress.
The power and the money, the money and the power,
minute after minute, hour after hour
Pugsley

Postby Butoxeter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:15 pm

PhilEakins wrote:At the last Taunton get together I rashly committed myself to a layout in a year

Did you promise to bring the new layout to the next gathering, Phil? I can't remember!! :oops: :oops:
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby MartinWales » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Butoxeter wrote:
PhilEakins wrote:At the last Taunton get together I rashly committed myself to a layout in a year

Did you promise to bring the new layout to the next gathering, Phil? I can't remember!! :oops: :oops:

Aha! Forgetful Tim strikes again!! :mrgreen:
MartinWales

Postby Butoxeter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm

MartinWales wrote:
Butoxeter wrote:

Aha! Forgetful Tim strikes again!! :mrgreen:

Oh, did I strike?

I can't remember..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby MartinWales » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Butoxeter wrote:Aha! Forgetful Tim strikes again!! :mrgreen:

Oh, did I strike?

I can't remember..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P[/quote]

I think it was more of a clanging noise, actually..... :mrgreen:
MartinWales

Postby PhilEakins » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 pm

MartinWales wrote:Oh, did I strike?

I can't remember..... :mrgreen: P

Ooohhh, I hadn't realised that Martin was a postman!

The Story .. Part 2

Anyway, I went away from Taunton full of ideas, Templot plans of ever increasingly complexity were produced and delightful day-dreams were indulged in, until the fateful day that 'her' said - "How are you going to build it and where are you going to keep it?' Hmm, I couldn't actually build any of the plans in one piece in our small and crowded terraced house, let alone store them properly.

Plan X3.0034 was brought into play.

By hook, crook or sheer good luck I have found myself on the operating team of Grenville Williams' "Wadebridge 1860's" (see December RM). I've discovered that small, if suitably organised, is enough. So, going back to the research materials, I have have produced a plan 12 feet by 3 feet, excluding 'fiddle' arrangements, which will, by stretching history 10 years or so in certain areas, will work.

Dock Road 26-10-2009.jpg

Introducing .... Dock Road, please excuse the rude (as in primitive) scribblings on the Templot diagram.

Historically almost correct for the 1880's, although contracted in length. The design allows for an increase in platform length by inserting a short baseboard and the cassette yard can be pushed off to the right by a further scenic baseboard representing the bridge over the moat (duck houses an optional extra!). Anyway - it will just fit across the 'Hobbit Room' for construction as it is, dismissing empire building!

The wood is on order, Exactoscale can expect an order for several hundred(s) ply sleepers, rail and chairs in their several thousands, and the family can expect me to go into purdah for the next month or two. Several small shrubs can expect to be used up in printing templates, and an awful lot of hot air generated in the planning process.

As to whether emergent Dock Road will appear at next Taunton - it does rather depend on the good Captain. It certainly won't be a working layout - just a work in progress unless I get cracking on a suitable engine - but then I'm planning to experiment with the Red Arrow system so I don't know how it will go.

Watch this space. Comments always welcome.

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PhilEakins

Postby PhilEakins » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Hoorah!! The wood is here - well, it's in the back of a van just down the road actually ....

Hopefully I'll have something to start with tomorrow - except that tomorrow I'm playing trains on Grenville Williams' 'Wadebridge 1860's!

Friday? Must finally finish that Templot plan, and buy some wood glue.

Ooh-er-missus it's beginning to come together, and I ain't built a baseboard for a donkey's age. All very well talking about it - I've now actually got to do it! :shock:

Watch this space - there might be pictures .........

Phil
PhilEakins

Postby Puds » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:54 pm

Interesting plan Phil, although I'm a bit unsure about the position of the goods shed, as would this not mean locomotives will have to run through the shed, a practice I thought never allowed, to then gain access to the siding fed back off of it!?

PhilEakins wrote:Anyway, I went away from Taunton full of ideas...........

..........As to whether emergent Dock Road will appear at next Taunton - it does rather depend on the good Captain.

And, what's all this about Taunton, are we missing something here :? :mrgreen:
David
You know, it's not just about talking a good model...............but hopefully about modelling it too ;-)
Puds

Postby PhilEakins » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am

Puds wrote:Interesting plan Phil, although I'm a bit unsure about the position of the goods shed, as would this not mean locomotives will have to run through the shed, a practice I thought never allowed, to then gain access to the siding fed back off of it!?

I wondered when someone was going to notice that. Yes, that was the way it was built when the line opened in 1860, and that was the reason that that part of the layout was relayed in 1883 when the line to Sheerness-on-Sea was opened from the Dockyard station. Unfortunately the revised formation included a three way point and more diamond crossings which does not make it conducive to being 'shrunk' into a twelve foot long space on four foot baseboards. Anyway, the original layout lasted for 23 years, and Sheerness was a running shed with its own allocation of locos, so it makes it operationally interesting. :D

The goods shed really was built that close to the pointwork, but I might just move it along a little, or I might not. If I get to the stage of exhibiting the thing its position will make a good arguing point! :geek:

Phil
PhilEakins

Postby PhilEakins » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks Cookie, I probably will leave it where it is, and wear a crash hat.

Now, especially for David:

This is how the goods shed access changed in 1883, suitably condensed into the available space. I've not tidied the templates up, particularly in the tandem point area so don't look too closely. The buildings didn't move. I didn't think it would work, but it does fit onto the projected baseboard size.

The platform dock road access also changed, but the access point would have been in the fiddle yard, so I've left it alone.

The turntable didn't move position, but the loco shed was rebuilt and made two road. Strangely it seems that although the shed covering the line nearest the main line was a substantial brick building, the second shed covering the line off the turntable was a wooden lean-to, but both built at the same time (as shown on an LCDR drawing). Photo's are thin on the ground to prove this although there is a glimpse in the background of a couple. Oddly enough photographers of the time were too busy snapping trains rather than the important things!

Templot Pages 13-11-2009.jpg

Comments, as always, welcome.

Phil

[Edit for repetition]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PhilEakins

Postby Jack » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 am

Being a fan of all things North Kent pre-grouping I will be following this with some interest.

Always liked the idea of the point/tuntable/thing-a-me-bob instead of a release loop at Sheerness.

Atleast your locos are in lined black rather than the Wainwright green ... should eb a bit easier to paint!
Jack
Jack

Postby PhilEakins » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks Jack.

The problem with pre-1890's modelling of the LCDR is that I'm compelled to scratch build a lot of kit! Not that I'm complaining but it does mean that I'm going to look at resin moulding/brass etching to speed things up.

Two baseboards built and a Templot scheme for the post 1883 layout finished. Hmmm - which way do I go? The pre layout is simpler and will rely on shunt and release for every train back to Sittingbourne. The post will need multiple run rounds as all trains called at Dockyard before leaving to Sheerness-on-Sea and vice versa back to Sittingbourne so that there is much more going on.

[Advert] If you are 'into' NK pre-grouping, are you a member of the South Eastern & Chatham Society yet? If not why not? :) PM me for details if you want.[/Advert]

Phil

[Edit] Ignore the sector table on the earlier plan - It shouldn't be there. I'm not sure when the signal box appeared. [/Edit]
PhilEakins

Return to S7