New Hey

New Hey

Postby Andy C » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:34 pm

If you want to see it you will have to come to the Manchester Show!

http://www.mmrs.org.uk/exhibition/exhibition.htm

I can be such a tease :D
Theres only one way of life, and thats your own.

Andy Cooper
http://newheymodelrailway.wordpress.com/
Andy C

Re: New Hey

Postby Brinkly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Andy C wrote:If you want to see it you will have to come to the Manchester Show!

So sir for those of us who will be unable to make the Manchester Show this year, can we have some photos to enjoy?! :)

Kind regards,
Nick

Minister without Portfolio!
Brinkly

Postby Andy C » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Oh go on then:

IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

Also viewable at:
York 2010
Expo EM 2010 Bracknell
Expo EM North 2010
Railex 2011

and in this months Toddler to promote the Manchester Show

and hopefully some more to come!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby westerner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 pm

I've just read the article in Railway Modeller and am well impressed. Intersesting that you say that for a one man layout of that size if you were to do it again you would go OO. I have followed the build on the other place and it was good to see it in print.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Andy C » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Its a stock thing to be honest Alan - I just got fed up of having to convert enough stock to EM to run on it - and Im still at it even now although the end is in sight - until i see a new loco i want on it!! OO would have cut the construction time down by half at least and a bit more instantaneous running with it. Still so long as i dont change era / location i will have enough EM stock to last me the rest of my life, bring on the P4 layout!! (its much smaller)

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby noddy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Must say this is one layout really i'm looking forward to seeing at Madchester ( Thats if Puds lets me off his layout for 5 minutes :D ).
I too have just read the article in the Modeller. I don't normally get the modeller and it was only New Hey that made me pick it up while getting more :roll: nappies in Tesco :lol:

Cheers
Andy
noddy

Postby Andy C » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:36 pm

Until my workshop thread comes up heres whats on the bench at the moment:

IMG_4690.JPG

which is shortly to appear on the "Shaw Curve as this:

IMG_4687.JPG

Its the last building to go on the layout although strictly speaking its on the scenic return board which I initially was less bothered about as I never saw them as part of the main layout, rather a neater way of taking the trains off scene. Now by York will end up with signals on them, and I see them as part of the full scenic boards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Wenbridge » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:57 am

Andy

Not having been on RMweb for some while I haven't seen New Hey recently and so its grood to see your pictures.

It's a really believable evocation of time and place and is a one heck of a project to take on, I look forward to catching up with you and it at a show in the future.

Completely different subject, your "to err is human to arr is pirate" (or something like that, don't think I have got it quite right) always made me laugh, did you invent it yourself or if not where did it come from?

Both brilliant.

Simon
Simon Castens

http://www.titfield.co.uk

And even if our labours shall not conduct to any great or important results, they will yet have the means of opening to us an inexhaustible fund of rational occupation and amusement
Wenbridge

Postby Neil » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:57 am

Andy C wrote:Its a stock thing to be honest Alan - I just got fed up of having to convert enough stock to EM to run on it - and Im still at it even now although the end is in sight - until i see a new loco i want on it!! OO would have cut the construction time down by half at least and a bit more instantaneous running with it. Still so long as i dont change era / location i will have enough EM stock to last me the rest of my life, bring on the P4 layout!! (its much smaller)

That's not an uncommon view Andy, and if I Morfa was intended as a steam era layout I'd have been seriously tempted by OO. It's partly a time thing, though as long as I'm enjoying myself I see no need for a quick completion, but being born and bred fifty miles to the east the extra expense would play a larger part. Diesels are a quick fix that costs nothing, steam's another matter.
Neil

Postby Andy C » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:20 am

Wenbridge wrote:Andy

Completely different subject, your "to err is human to arr is pirate" (or something like that, don't think I have got it quite right) always made me laugh, did you invent it yourself or if not where did it come from?

Both brilliant.

Simon

I'd love to take credit for it but I saw it on someones T shirt at Glastonbury the other year!

The running sequence with New hey demands 18 loco's / DMUs on tap at any one time, plus I like to have a spare for most roads - currently the stock box / work bench has approx 30 lcocs with several unbuilt kits "maturing" in the cupboard :D
I havent counted the pieces of stock!

It got to a stage just before we took it to the Rochdale show where i was so fed up of a constant round of getting something, invaliidating the warranty straight away and then spending ages getting it right. Its not like you can get drop in wheel sets for steamers other than a few Ultrascale examples - which work out usually more expensive than the loco you are converting. Like you Neil in a way I was born within a mile of "that" border, and with a bit of Scottish ancestry on my mums side to boot. Today i'm going to expo Arnold (EM North for those who dont get it!!) on the shopping list is some AG washers for the inside of con rods for the Jubillee and an Ivatt 2-6-0. Then you have to solder them in etc etc. Given the amount of conversions people do Why the likes of Colin etc can't machine a dedicated crankpin bush to make life easier! Rant over 8-) :lol:

having read Tony Gees article now in the Jacko special of MRJ Im also of a mind to change locos in the fiddleyard when a train has been round the circuit to make it appear different - Oh b*gg*r, more work!! Still Ive got till York show cos it wont be done for Manchester :roll:

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby James » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Andy C wrote:Im also of a mind to change locos in the fiddleyard when a train has been round the circuit to make it appear different

I'd be interested to know how easy or otherwise that proves as we'd discussed the matter with regards Botanic but we were worried about handling stock too much but it easily provides a lot more variety to the casual observer.
James

Postby Andy C » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:13 am

Hi James

My past experience with Spotland Bridge told me this was a no no, after having to handle the stock in a fairly cramped traversing fiddleyard locos were suffering - it wasnt so much damage as the effect on the weathering jobs and paintwork, because it was cramped you couldnt pick them up from under the footplate / valances.

New Heys yard is a lot more open - on the exit roads its eay to draw clear of surrounding stock and minismise handling damage. The return board onto the fiddle has been designed as a workshop table (one end has a piece of track on for testing and wheel cleaning purposes run by the trusty Duette) so theres space to put locos making the move from storeage to track about two feet. It seemed to work last weekend but the real test wil come at a show, Im not sure i will have enough stock to do this at Manchester show, but certainly by York next Easter - as I know you are a York regular you can come and have a try yourself!

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Andy C » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Platelayers hut progress - considering this is the last structure to go on the layout it seems to be taking longer - maybe because im am some different techniques. The lean to hut for example is platicard covered with one ply of a tissue to represent roofing felt - the battens are microstrip. The brickwork is now primed and when dry i will work on this with watercolur pencils to bring out the tones and colours in the brickwork. The slates are now painted. Still lots of work to do the doors to be painted (note the padlock!!) guttering, windows, downpipes, chimney etc.

hut 3004.JPG

hut 3005.JPG

hut 3006.JPG

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby westerner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Re the handling of stock conundrum, I was wondering if the Peco loco lift might be of use or DCC cocepts motive power depot boxes reviewed in Oct Hornby mag (apparantly they can be converted to EM one draw back they do seem expensive there are three version 360mm, 460mm and 560mm long The latter pictured holding a 2car 108 DMU
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Andy C » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:34 pm

westerner wrote:Re the handling of stock conundrum, I was wondering if the Peco loco lift might be of use or DCC cocepts motive power depot boxes reviewed in Oct Hornby mag (apparantly they can be converted to EM one draw back they do seem expensive there are three version 360mm, 460mm and 560mm long The latter pictured holding a 2car 108 DMU

The loco lift might be an idea - when we had "Gauxholme Viaduct" at the Rochdale club

GV-4.jpg

we used to use white cotton gloves to prevent paint damage - trouble is it looked like a magicians convention and they used to catch fine detail - even worse these days i suspect. Rubber gloves may be an alternate ("Nurse, the screens please"). I must admit Ive not seen this bit in hornby mag - i tend to flick through it rather than read it when Im down at Dean Hall but I will have a look - sounds expensive though!!

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Andy C » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:36 pm

The platelayers hut is now ready to go on the baseboard - only trouble is working out the exact spot where it was - the L and Y drawings I have dont go any further than Two Bridges Road and the old OS map Ive got is not much help. I have tried to work it out from Photos but they are all taken from the Bridge and theres not a refernec point to be seen. Still it will give me a chance to leaf through books and plans once again and maybe for the last time as this is the last building structure to go on the layout.

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Steve P » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 am

Really good to see this in the magazine Andy, I like the Northwest we have family in the area. One litle thing, the pics are a bit small :cry:
Steve P

Postby Andy C » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Steve P wrote:Really good to see this in the magazine Andy, I like the Northwest we have family in the area. One litle thing, the pics are a bit small :cry:

Cheers Steve

Next time we have the layout up and running (York show at Easter - itss too big to get up at home) I will take a few more photos - the layiout should be officially complete then with the added new signals ive just built, and the point rodding. Still not decided if we are going to paint the backscene :scratch

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Andy C » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Finally got round to planting the remaining signals this weekend - need now to get the two ground signals completed, but this means waiting for a new BR ground signal etch from Palatine Models - Ive seen the test etches so watch out for this when its out because its better than anything else on the market. Sorry for the dark pics, my garage is not blessed with natural light unless the doors open, and in this January - no thanks!!

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

Copy of IMG_5010.JPG

Copy of IMG_5001.JPG

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Andy C » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am

I've just started doing the point rodding for New Hey. First time i have evr bothered with this but as its a protoype model, then it has to be done. Now being of distant Scottish ancestry and born within a midges dick of the yorkshire border, i know a bargain when I see one and when, a few years ago, a deceased members modelling bits box came into Dean Hall (MMRS HQ) for disposal with some of the much lauded Colin Waite etches in, they swiftly found their way into my projects box for a princely couple of quid!

last weekend i set to work with gusto but its clear to see this aint an easy job - Ive done some fiddly etched bits before but these take the biscuit. A full weekend to produce 8 stools - none soldered yet and the roller bars to go in yet - They are the devil incarnate, its a 3 handed job, but of course the pieces are so small its a struggle with two, the third would get nowhere near the work!

By sunday evening i was on the Brassmasters web site looking at alternate - the right pattern (unlike the CW etches) and look marginaly less difficult to put together but when I coosted it out for the number an combination required - well lets say that for what is a cosmetic job, Ouch. The MSE stuff is completely wrong - its for tubular rod not square - andthe stools require a lot of fettling to make them look right.

Ever the inventive I think I have a woarkaround - lay the rods out on the Templot plan, solder the top roller bar across, slot the rodding stool outer uprights at either end (sod the inner ons, you cab=n only see a littl of the tops anyway, and put onto the base - bottom roller - maybe not. keep yu posted how things progress for those about to follow on his route.

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Andy C » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Ive finished the signal operating mechanisms today, just need to fit them under the layout and hopefully at York Show in 4 weeks time we will have operating signals. the operating wire is in temp. Im not wholly certain how effective the omega loop Ive bent into the Nickel silver wire will be. Once the crank mech is fitted in place I will solder stops on the backing plate to limit the travel of the crank.

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

Ive also attached a photo of the point rodding workaround - the top rollers are soldered in place and I was considering soldering the Colin waite side plates on but as this particular section is being viewed at a distance I may just leave it as it is for cosmetic effect, There is a section to the front of the layout which may well be done properly though!

IMG_5107.JPG

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Bryn Mawr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:58 am

Again, the question...where are all the photos?
Bryn
Bryn Mawr

Postby Butoxeter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Bryn Mawr wrote:Again, the question...where are all the photos?
Bryn

It's got something to do with a recent software or server upgrade - they all appear to have disappeared prior to that date, which I think was in March sometime. Photos from prior to that date will only appear in threads, I guess, if the thread authors have re-uploaded them (I have done this in one of my threads, for example).
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Andy C » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:16 pm

As I cant remember what I posted in the first place and probably have deleted the work in progress pics from my PC I doubt I can resurrect the stuff :x

Heres a few taken at York show
IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5116.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Postby Andy C » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1qaFEpSzU

Some really good footage from railex.

Andy Cooper
Andy C

Next

Return to EM