Southerham Bridge Lewes East

Re: Southerham Bridge Lewes East

Postby ColPeake » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Good to see this progressing, it has changed a lot from the original competition entry but is still recognisable. One of my favourites from that 'era' :D

Colin
ColPeake

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks Chaps. I just found some drawings I made ages ago which are pretty close to this and now will need to make some more accurate plans soon so will post those when done. I know it seems a bit ar*e over t*t not having a Templot plan or similar stuck down on some straight and square boards first but I've enjoyed tweaking the construction to fit - hopefully it will all flow nicely in the end.

It may end up like the covers of my old school books when one started writing the word 'Chemistry' across the front with good intentions but it gets all bunched up the nearer the edge of the page it gets!

I did notice one thing last night that I'd forgotten about is an underbridge or cattle creep is going to have to thread its way between those two point motors!
Raphael

Postby Raphael » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Little update. Templot plans for the junction at Lewes East. I'm using it on a Mac using Wine http://www.winehq.org/ seems very stable and I have no problems with any of the functions apart from my own inadequacies.

Best scoop was a bunch of images I grabbed on my phone photographed from a mural at a community gallery recently built on the site in Lewes.
The junction with diesel shunter in the yard. Lewes East box at the lower edge of the image.
A little bit south of here - the up sidings full of wagons.
...And over the river - with a six car EMU heading south. This shot is excellent for working out the various embankments now covered with bushes [and dubious magazines]. As well as the electric power supply trunking. You can just make out the line to the cement works bottom right.
Map of the junction

This is how I've compressed it. The double junction of the mainline and exit form the yard includes a single slip on a curve which I think Templot can't do [yet] so I've overlaid a pair of turnouts to simulate it. Have managed to stitch it all in between the joins in the boards and under bridges, batons under the boards etc. This is still a bit rough in places and I need to fine tune all the sleepers but getting there.

I've also been distracted by various rolling stock projects including my brace of EDs, a 4COR and my Bulleid electrics seen elsewhere on here to which I have added seemingly endless Archers rivet detail. I think my eyesight may go before I finish this job.
I read somewhere that during WW2 the SR added electrified leads to some yards including Lewes so these locos could have a bit more flexibility in use but I found it hard to work out exactly where this extra 3rd rail went. But now from one new discovered image it appears that the yard exit route was electrified when I hadn't spotted it before.

Archive images are hard to come by because of the low lying position of the site but I was very happy to find a really a good colour image of the junction with the preserved T9 headed for Eastbourne on a railtour in 1962 that has lots of good track detail in Southern Counties Mainline Steam by Michael Welch. This also helps me work out up to which point that the up line was laid with flat bottom rail - in fact this was evident in photos from the early 50s.

Until next time....
Raphael

Postby Cock Sparra » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Raphael

Templot does slips from ver 0.8* if you're using ver 0.91 or TDV you can use the video

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=12&forum_id=8

For a double slip just repeat the operations for the first one. If your diamond is irregular you will have to sign up to TDV.

Happy Temploting :D
Cheers Phil

I used to be normal but I'm better now
Cock Sparra

Postby Raphael » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks Phil - but does it do irregular slips with one route on a curve? I didn't think so? But I should investigate this TDV.
The junction is as below. This is 1934 just before electrification
Raphael

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Raphael wrote:I've also been distracted by various rolling stock projects including my brace of EDs, a 4COR and my Bulleid electrics seen elsewhere on here to which I have added seemingly endless Archers rivet detail. I think my eyesight may go before I finish this job.

Hi Raphael,

There's enough rivets on there for Archers to declare a special shareholder dividend. :lol:

Did you know, by the way, that there is now a UK stockist for Archers products? - see http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/index.php?cPath=272_579

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Cock Sparra » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Raphael

I have always got mine from Historex http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxse ... &PageNo=10.

Usual disclaimer.
Cheers Phil

I used to be normal but I'm better now
Cock Sparra

Postby Butoxeter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Cock Sparra wrote:Hi Raphael

I have always got mine from Historex http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxse ... &PageNo=10.

Usual disclaimer.

Same here - they were based in Dover when I last ordered from them.
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Phil/Tim,

Thanks for the info about Historex - I have never heard of them before.

Has anyone tried the Andrea Colours range offered by Historex?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Can't say anything about those paints myself. I will happily order from the UK if required again but then I will miss the slight frisson of an envelope from the USA with their lovely stamps.
Raphael

Postby westerner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Raphael, No posts for a long time how is it going?
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 pm

No sorry not much to report. Partly because I don't think I've done anything particularly interesting to it. Got sidetracked by various other projects. But I have been laying staging yards. Ugh I hate PECO track but have to grit my teeth do these before I can return to the front of the layout.

One good thing perhaps was I did devise a method of attaching Seep point motors to the underside of the board using Lego. Which means I can remove them and fix them when they need servicing or replacing. Two 2x2 pieces are superglued to the underside of the board and then a little pile of similar 2x2 pieces are glued to the motor. Remarkably neat and easy to do. It gives a bit more leverage to the throw as when they were directly attached to the ply baseboard they didn't seem to throw quite as well. I was very pleased. I'm sure it will be frowned upon!

Most of the pointwork for the scenic sections is manually thrown and I'm experimenting with Bluepoint switches and Bullfrogs with the frog polarity switching done with a frog juicer which flips the polarity when it detects a short. Using the high-tech to allow low-tech.
regards R
Raphael

Postby Easterner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Glad to hear your still progressing - Like Alan, I have really enjoyed your progress so far and look forward to any future updates :)
Thanks as always

Josh
Easterner

Postby Clive » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Raphael wrote:No sorry not much to report. Partly because I don't think I've done anything particularly interesting to it. Got sidetracked by various other projects. But I have been laying staging yards. Ugh I hate PECO track but have to grit my teeth do these before I can return to the front of the layout.

One good thing perhaps was I did devise a method of attaching Seep point motors to the underside of the board using Lego. Which means I can remove them and fix them when they need servicing or replacing. Two 2x2 pieces are superglued to the underside of the board and then a little pile of similar 2x2 pieces are glued to the motor. Remarkably neat and easy to do. It gives a bit more leverage to the throw as when they were directly attached to the ply baseboard they didn't seem to throw quite as well. I was very pleased. I'm sure it will be frowned upon!

Most of the pointwork for the scenic sections is manually thrown and I'm experimenting with Bluepoint switches and Bullfrogs with the frog polarity switching done with a frog juicer which flips the polarity when it detects a short. Using the high-tech to allow low-tech.
regards R

Hi Raphael

Any photos of the Lego-Seep arrangement? It sounds very interesting.

Clive
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm

I used these pieces of LEGO
IMG_0027.jpg

...and built a stack as so. They fit the width of the SEEP almost exactly. It occurred to me I could also indicate the positive and negative to help with wiring. I also used a LEGO block that has a hole in it to hold the wires together.
IMG_0029.jpg

The flat topped pieces are superglued to the ply. Dot some some superglue on the flat bit and hold the whole lot: - LEGO and motor - just slightly off the wood. You can get the thing positioned exactly right and even test the throw at this point. If its the right place press it down and it grabs. If its not quite right its quite easy to pop them off and try again. Stick a chisel under the edge of the piece of LEGO.
IMG_0030.jpg

I've not glued the middle pieces of LEGO together - they may require that in time but when new they hold very nicely.
IMG_0032.jpg

I'm going to see if I can't use LEGO to carry the flexible rods for the manually controlled points - there are blocks with holes which would so the trick brilliantly. Even bits that swivel slightly which will probably be useful on longer runs. Each piece costs a few pence - I think i spent £15 on twice as much as I needed, all ordered off the LEGO website. Takes about 3-4 days to arrive.
R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raphael

Postby Clive » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Raphael,

I going to give that a try.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Previous

Return to 00