Hanging Hill

Hanging Hill

Postby Clive » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Not sure if this is a finescale layout as I used good old Peco code 100 track. "well it works don't it"
It appeared in BRM a couple of years ago and since then spent a year crated up from its last show in January 2008, thats's right no invites after appearing in BRM :D
I got it up and had a few running sessions over the past year. The photos are from one of those sessions.
003 small.jpg

006 small.jpg

008 small.jpg

022 small.jpg

023 small.jpg

038 small.jpg

About a month ago I done some changes to the track plan. I had a siding for the breakdown train, the trouble was each coach, van etc would have had to been shunted out individually and the train reformed. Not a problem as the fiddle yard is too short to takle the breakdown train but it did not look right. Another operational problem was that I had no stores unloading facilities at the shed, most large ER sheds had a platform where spare parts could be unloaded. The solution to both these inaccuracies was to make the crane siding into a loop, the headshunt off the loop became the reversal headshunt off the fuel points and the old headshunt a stores siding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Clive on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Re: Hanging Hill

Postby Clive » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Here are some photos taken a few moments ago to show the PW changes.
387.JPG

388.JPG

A few shots of the breakdown train.
389.JPG

390.JPG

391.JPG

392.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Wenbridge » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Brilliant!

It all just oozes atmosphere to me, I still like the Triang 37 body too :)

I also admire the way you have got on and modified and created from scratch the things you wanted to see, from Gresley breakdown coaches to strange Western Region contraptions, not many of us manage that...

Didn't you make some baby deltics too?

I'd happily pay money at an exhibition to see your layout.

Simon
Simon Castens

http://www.titfield.co.uk

And even if our labours shall not conduct to any great or important results, they will yet have the means of opening to us an inexhaustible fund of rational occupation and amusement
Wenbridge

Postby Clive » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Wenbridge wrote:Brilliant!

It all just oozes atmosphere to me, I still like the Triang 37 body too :)

I also admire the way you have got on and modified and created from scratch the things you wanted to see, from Gresley breakdown coaches to strange Western Region contraptions, not many of us manage that...

Didn't you make some baby deltics too?

I'd happily pay money at an exhibition to see your layout.

Simon

Thank you Simon.

The aim of Hanging Hill is to recreate a trainspotting trip to a shed, as I remember. To get the right atmosphere I feel you need to get things as near correct as you can, the track plan, the buildings, the colthes the little people are wearing etc so not only does it convey the impression you wish to create but the layout is going to be workable. Too many layouts have unworkable track plans, copied not from the prototype but other layouts. There a loads of books of real locations with trackplans in them, if the real one worked the model will as well.

Getting on and making things I want is modelling, adding to yet another wish list on Reallywantthis Model web doesn't count in my mind. Anyhow who is going to produce a model of the Norwich snowplough? (that's the black one)

As for Baby Deltics, you mean these ten.
060.JPG

061.JPG

The B1 is departmental loco number 19, the Norwich train heating boiler. Norwich shed had a habbit of keeping their B1s in excellent external condition, number 19 was no exception. It saved me from having to weather it.
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Having posted the photos of the Baby Deltics, I realised there was something wrong

http://terrycampbell.fotopic.net/p60387571.html

I thought I hadn't finished the shed :(
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:19 pm

I have just defrosted following a running session on Hanging Hill. The garage are not the warmest room in the house. :( There is a heater in there, but it is still waiting for a plug and to be placed on the wall. Any sign of DIY tools being used will generate a list of jobs from SWMBO (called Carys) :shock:

Anyhow I was running it strictly to my card system and for the first time since the modification to layout I turned over a stores train card, and shunted a fresh batch of wagons on to the new stores siding. :)
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Re: Hanging Hill....Oh Dear

Postby Clive » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 pm

After many months, OK over a year of non-activity I decided to clear everything off the layout and test it.

The amount of scenic damage is incredible, so it may be a good time to revitalize the look of Hanging Hill. Following cleaning the track, it worked fairly well, the hot weather has produced a short where the section break is across a baseboard joint and the tracks have expanded and are now touching. One point has a broken tie bar and the motor is not switching the frog. Loads to do, will I have enough bounce in my Mo Jo to get it done? I hope so.

An update on the heater for the man shed, it is still not fixed to the wall and still awaiting a plug.
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Jim S-W » Sun May 01, 2011 7:59 am

Are you on a deadline Clive?

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Clive » Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 am

Jim S-W wrote:Are you on a deadline Clive?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

Sometime before the eyesight goes, or the arthritis prevents the hands from moving or the senility kicks in.....a couple of years. :) :) :)
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Re: Hanging Hill....Oh Dear

Postby Clive » Mon May 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Clive wrote:After many months, OK over a year of non-activity I decided to clear everything off the layout and test it.

The amount of scenic damage is incredible,

Even more so when I vacuumed the layout...ping ping ping could be heard as bits went up the pipe ;)
so it may be a good time to revitalize the look of Hanging Hill.

It is in a very sad state :( General idea is to tart it up so that it looks good (better than before) from the operating side as it a stay at 'ome layout now.
Following cleaning the track, it worked fairly well, the hot weather has produced a short where the section break is across a baseboard joint and the tracks have expanded and are now touching. One point has a broken tie bar and the motor is not switching the frog.

I used my new (only had it just over two years) razor saw to good effect. I thought I will use my spare point left over from the mods to the track plan. The damaged point is a "Y" point and the spare is a straight point, the sidings will need re-alining. Ah I thought I have a "Y" point on a little shunting layout I started. I lifted the damged point and the one from the shuning layout. Whoops I forgot the shunting layout has code 75 track :( After rebuilding the shunting layout I pulled up the track of the fuel wagon sidings, installed the spare point and relaid the sidings. :)
Loads to do, will I have enough bounce in my Mo Jo to get it done? I hope so.

Following the mods to the track plan I had made some bodges to the controll panel....the panel and track plan did not mtach so any visting driver would not have been able to follow what he was doing. The switches were moved to their correct location, and the "new" track plan painted on the panel. This involved using the soldering iron and some new wiring. I did not stop at this, when I first built Hanging Hill I managed to wire up the section switches so that switching the panel controller on was upwards where all the isolating switches are down for on. All on actions are now a downward movement :o
An update on the heater for the man shed, it is still not fixed to the wall and still awaiting a plug.

In the tidy up I found a plug so off to the man shed now it is warmer to fit the heater :) :) :) :)edit: it is on the wall
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby steve1 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 pm

visting driver

Been there, done that!

And it was fun too.

steve
Steve Grantham
East Riding Finescale Group
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Clive » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:59 am

Decided to treat myself to a day in the garage playing trains. Hanging Hill is behaving so badly, thank goodness it is not at an exhibition :)
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Coffee cup was empty, so I tried to go and refill it. SWMBO had come 'ome from 'orse riding to find the back door unlocked. No need to guess who could not get in. :(

I have now made a sign stating "Hanging Hill, motive power depot. Man at work, do not lock doors". :)
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:36 am

Today's planned running session has been cancelled. Too cold and a foot of snow against the man shed door :( :( :(
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Just in from the man shed after a very enjoyable running session following a couple of months sitting idle. :) Train set not me. ;)

Can anyone explain how a layout set up in a locked garage manages to unsolder a wire from a point motor? :scratch Apart from that one problem it ran reasonably well.
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 am

The other night my friend visited and we had a operating session on Hanging Hill. It is not until someone else drives the layout that you realise that the little niggles are really major problems and need sorting out :( :) :o :oops: :? ;) :scratch
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:25 am

Hanging Hill has been formally retired from public exhibitions.
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Return to 00