Pen-Y_Bont

Re: Pen-Y_Bont

Postby Dukedog » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 pm

I've decided to build an extension to Pen Y Bont.

I am going to add another 4ft board in the middle of the layout.
This will incorporate the other end of the loop (currently off scene) and a small engine shed as per Aberaeron.
Anyway, pictures speak louder than words so here's the plan!
Regards
Frank
Why do people always say " No Offence" just before they offend you ?
Dukedog

Postby Pannier Tank » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Frank,

Ok on your plans to extend Pen-Y-Bont, that would be the course of natrual progression. I wonder if you have plans to use it in short & Long Format or is it going to be a permanent long format?

Unfortunately I've not got round to seeing your layout at an exhibition yet. Look forward to seeing you progress.
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby Dukedog » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Pannier Tank wrote:Hi Frank,

Ok on your plans to extend Pen-Y-Bont, that would be the course of natrual progression. I wonder if you have plans to use it in short & Long Format or is it going to be a permanent long format?

Unfortunately I've not got round to seeing your layout at an exhibition yet. Look forward to seeing you progress.

Hi David,
Thanks for the comments.
The extension will be removable, in other words the layout could be set up in either short, (as it is now) OR long format (with the new extension).
The idea being that if it were to be invited to shows then the exhibition manager could choose depending up on space available.
I am in the process of working out the controls, signalling, timber requirements etc etc before commencing work.
Don't expect any rapid progress any time soon!
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Pannier Tank » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Dukedog wrote:
Hi David,
Thanks for the comments.
The extension will be removable, in other words the layout could be set up in either short, (as it is now) OR long format (with the new extension).
The idea being that if it were to be invited to shows then the exhibition manager could choose depending up on space available.
I am in the process of working out the controls, signalling, timber requirements etc etc before commencing work.
Don't expect any rapid progress any time soon!

Hello Frank,

Once complete you'll have a nice versatile layout. Hope to see Pen-Y-Bont in one form or anther at some stage.
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby PeteT » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Ive not logged in in quite a while so just catching up with this - its looking good!

My only comment on the extension is whether it is intended to be a double track feed coming in from under the bridge, and if so would it be worth switching the new crossover so that trains can leave the platform road and join the left hand running line?
Pete
PeteT

Postby Dukedog » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:45 pm

PeteT wrote:Ive not logged in in quite a while so just catching up with this - its looking good!

My only comment on the extension is whether it is intended to be a double track feed coming in from under the bridge, and if so would it be worth switching the new crossover so that trains can leave the platform road and join the left hand running line?

HI Pete and thanks for your input.
Good point!
The "original concept is that the station is a single line terminus. The run round cross over being "off scene" on the other side (fiddle yard) of the bridge.
This was an idea I lifted from Neil Rushby's Abergwynant layout.
Now that the run round crossover is being moved "on scene" I suppose the extra part of the loop is redundant.
However, the layout may not always be erected full length so It will be retained and used as a head shunt or line leading to other sidings. Cattle dock or something similar.
The final plan has still to be decided but it won't be far from the plan shown
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Dukedog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Nothing much happing on the layout at the moment, but with two exhibitions attended some valuable lessons have been learned.
I will be glad when the extension is built so that running round of trains and shunting can be made easier without having to keep using the cassette fiddle yard.
A point operating linkage failure that occurred at the Kernow show has been cured by beefing up the components used and the layout performed faultless at Cheltenham at the end of October.

Only one picture worth adding, taken with the Blackberry at Cheltenham.
IMG00004-20101030-1618 (Medium).jpg

With nothing booked until January 2012 and the impending prospect of becoming unemployed I should be able to find time to get some more work done on both layout and stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Dukedog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14 am

Just a quick note.
I know that Model Rail is not what you would call a "finescale" publication but, I thought I would let you know that Pen Y Bont will feature in the next issue (155)
Due out on the 24th March next.

No further progress to report at this time due to personal circumstances and no exhibition booked until January 2012.

I hope to do some work on the new extension after the end of April when I join the ranks of the unemployed!
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Pannier Tank » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Dukedog wrote:Just a quick note.
I know that Model Rail is not what you would call a "finescale" publication but, I thought I would let you know that Pen Y Bont will feature in the next issue (155)
Due out on the 24th March next.

No further progress to report at this time due to personal circumstances and no exhibition booked until January 2012.

I hope to do some work on the new extension after the end of April when I join the ranks of the unemployed!

Frank,

Looking forward to your Model Rail article and eventually seeing Pen-Y-Bont at an exhibition. I hope everything pans out ok for you.
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby Dukedog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 am

Just thought I would mention that Pen Y Bont is featured in the current edition (155) of Model Rail magazine.

I don't like to blow my own trumpet but, I have to admit I am impressed by the way Richard Foster of Model Rail has presented the feature.

I had also never seen the pictures used in the magazine or the write up before publication so didn't know what to expect,but, it has exceed my own expectations.

Cheers for now.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby iak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 am

You know I thought it looked familiar Frank :oops:
Congrats on the article - MRail is a reasonable mag most months.

best wishes
IAK
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Pannier Tank » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Well done Frank, enjoyed reading the Model Rail Article.
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 am

Hi Frank,

Finally got to read the Pen-y-bont article in Model Rail yesterday. Well done on an entertaining read and I look forward to extension developments......

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Dukedog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Pen Y Bont seen in Railway Modeller!

I had a pleasant surprise this week when I found a picture of my layout Pen Y Bont in the April edition of Railway Modeller, No, not a feature or article by your truly, but as part of an advertisement for my local model shop Modellers Mecca,

I had almost forgotten that I had given the shops proprietor Lucy Pitch permission to use some of my pictures on Modellers Mecca web site http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/ Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ModellersMecca and in some magazine advertisements.

This is the picture, taken some time ago....

The picture shows Standard 4 75059 looking like a refugee from Barry scrap yard!

For those with access to the April edition of railway Modeller the advertisement can be seen at the bottom of page 58a

There is also an excellent feature on my good friend Geoff Forster's layout Penhydd, a super BR western region layout in EM gauge.

That's all for now, More soon!

Cheers!
Frank.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Previous

Return to 00