Pen-Y_Bont

Pen-Y_Bont

Postby Dukedog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:27 pm

New forum-Old Layout!
Well, not that old really, Those of you who are members of other forums may already have seen my layout Pen Y Bont, However I make no excuses for duplicating some of the information and images here.
The original plan for this layout was going to be a scale model of Aberayron (1950's english spelling!) on the Cardigan bay coast and in fact the layout started with that intention. However, it soon became clear that to do the model justice the layout itself would be over 18ft long and curved to accomodate all that was on the plan. As I am working on my own and wanted something more practical the plan was scrapped and Pen Y Bont was created.
Neil Rushby's "Abergwnant" was a source of inspiration, So I flipped his track pan into a mirror image, mixed a bit of Aberearon in with it and ended up with what I've got!
It's not true finescale and I don't pretend that it is. I could have used SMP or C&L track and points but as time was not always available I settled for Peco code75 HO track and large radius points.
I won't go into great detail about it's construction as that follows "conventional" practice, so I'll just post a recent picture which I think captures the essence of what I wanted to achive.

I'll post some more pictures and information soon.
Regards
Frank
Why do people always say " No Offence" just before they offend you ?
Dukedog

Re: Pen-Y_Bont

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:40 pm

There's a very nice shadowy quality to the photo Frank. Somewhat reminiscent of the great Ben Ashworth (in particular a snap of a Collet goods taken from up a tree, Wye valley, I think), I'm guessing that the lighting rig is the big yellow thing ninety three million miles away.
Neil

Postby westerner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 pm

That particular photo is my favourite railway phot of all time.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Dukedog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Niel, Alan,
Thanks for the comments. To be honest That's got to be one of my best pictures to date as well!
Neil you are quite correct in the fact that I used natural sunlight for that picture. IMHO it makes a world of difference to a photograph even in monochrome.
By the way, Neil, welcome to the forum it's nice to have some familiar names here. Hope you post some of your work here soon.

Alan, hope you sort your pictures out soon, lookingforward to seeing your layout here too.

I was going to post another picture on my first post but decided against it on the grounds that it was a long post already and I didn't want to over do it. So, I'll tag it onto the end of this post instead!

Yet another Ivatt! And yet another outdoor monochrome shot!
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm

Neil wrote:There's a very nice shadowy quality to the photo Frank. Somewhat reminiscent of the great Ben Ashworth (in particular a snap of a Collet goods taken from up a tree, Wye valley, I think), I'm guessing that the lighting rig is the big yellow thing ninety three million miles away.

Could'nt agree more,I also love the pic.of the tank at the buffer stops I was going to ask when you would post that.
Neil is'nt the only one to be a fan of Ben Ashworth,I have tried to create a few pics.myself of a Collet Goods from the treetops at Penhydd,mind you I did'nt have to lug a plate camera around with me ;)

Hope you give us a full layout tour soon Frank and perhaps some info.on your building methods using the Wills sheets.

Geoff
Geoff

Postby John B » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Not just lovely shots, Frank, some lovely, restrained modelling in evidence there. The texture of the ground cover, the arrangement of features, the small details, everything just "fits". Super stuff, and thanks for sharing.
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby Butoxeter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Neil wrote:Somewhat reminiscent of the great Ben Ashworth (in particular a snap of a Collet goods taken from up a tree, Wye valley, I think)

Kerne Bridge, I believe... a stunning classic shot it was indeed... :)
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Dukedog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
When I made my first post in this thread I made the mistake of assuming people had seen the layout before "else where" maybe that is not the case(?).
So I'll start again here with some more history and how the layout came about.
When I was looking for an alternative and more manageable build other than Aberaeron I decided that after all my research that the layout would have to be a fictitious location. I still wanted a Welsh Cambrian location so I just stumbled on the name Pen Y Bont, Quite by chance after the layout was half built I realised that in fact there was a station on the Cambrian system called Pen Y Bont, (actually the full name was Pen Y Bont Fawr) located on the old Tannat Valley line.
Pen Y Bont was in fact a though station the terminus being at Llangynog about 4 miles further west.

Here's a rough map for those who may not know the area.

My take on the layout is a "what might have been" had the line from Oswestry not closed under the Beeching axe. The line had been cut back to Pen Y Bont after half a mountain had slipped onto the track mid way between Pen Y Bont and Llangynog.
The (model) station still survives serving the local lead mines (which by some other miracle are still working!) as well as local passenger services.

So that then is a very brief potted history of the line and it's location. Now that I have set the scene I'll start posting some details on the layout itself as well as it's constuction.
Most of the buildings are scratch built so I'll put the details of their construction in the appropriate place.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby MartinWales » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 am

I do like those B&W photos Frank-it gives the layout a 'Trains Illustrated' look, keep em coming-as the layout just oozes the atmosphere of a lost Welsh country branch line.
MartinWales

Postby Dukedog » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 am

A lot of people browsing the layout sections of most forums ask to see the track plan of a layout so I thought I would post the track plan for Pen Y Bont here.

This was the original plan, since then I decided to not to include the water tank tower, it dominated the scene too much. The water crane on the platform being served by an "off scene" tank.
Also after the layout was well under construction a small extension board was made purely as a scenic feature (no tracks) and features the Village of Pen Y Bont that the railway serves.
Geoff and Alan (westener) were keen for me to extend the line across onto this board to include a level crossing and /or a dairy or similar. To be fair I did consider it but, in the end stuck to my original plan.
I'll post more about the layout and some more pictures soon.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Dukedog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:49 pm

Going back now to laying the first tracks at pen Y Bont!

On my previous layout I had used SMP Scaleway plain track and copper clad sleeper built points but, chickened out at Pen Y Bont and decided to use Peco code 75 track and points. In retrospect I reckon I should have gone down the SMP route but, like a lot of things in life I just hadn't got the time to mess about.
The ironic part about it all was that about 3 months after I took the above picture Neil Rushby was offering a bespoke point building service through RMWeb! If only I had known that was going to happen then things would have been a lot different.
As it is, being 16.5mm gauge the track is out of scale anyway so using Peco track was no big deal to me. The purists might think different though!
Picture 028.jpg

Whilst on the subject of track and accessories I wanted some buffer stops. I needed three in total and again was looking at "finescale" components.
In the end I found a couple of unused Peco ones kicking about in the "Junk pile" so decided to see what I could do with those before parting with more cash!
After a couple of hours work this is what I came up with.
The beam as supplied by Peco was dispensed with and in its place I used a length of wooden coffee stirring stick from the local burger restaurant.
Suitably painted and weathered it looks a lot better than the Peco effort. I also added wire rods for the tie bars and painted the rails a mix of Railmatch acrylic track colour and blended in some other browns from the artists acrylics I like to use for such jobs.To get the black marks where the buffers of stock had hit the beam I just coated a wagon buffer head with black paint and rolled it in to the stops. The mark left behind can be easily seen, and at least the marks line up with the buffers on my stock!

Once fitted and glued in they don't look too bad at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Dukedog » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Being a BLT Pen Y Bont needs a end feeding fiddle yard (for want of a better description!)
I decided that the old classic "tunnel mouth" was a bit of a cliche so opted for the alternative cliche of a road over bridge!
The road over bridge is shown below under construction.

The main girders are just a Wills Vari-Girder kit sat on Plasticard buttresses and wing walls.
I used 40thou Plasticard for strength with a laminate of dressed stone for the outer skin.
The pilaster caps are laminates of 40 thou filed to shape.
The picture below shows the bridge in place on the layout and painted.
The walls were painted using a mixture of artists acrylics and household emulsion test pot paints.
Also visible in the above picture is the only working signal on the layout, the UP starter.(more on this later).
Also visible (bottom just left of centre) is one of my home made alignment dowels made from 6mm dia silver steel.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Butoxeter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:36 pm

I do like nice, simple girder bridges, Frank, and that one you've just built is a corker - really nice :)
Butoxeter

Postby Dukedog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Yet another money saving build!
The coal drops at pen Y Bont were made from wooden coffee stirring sticks from the local burger joint.
stuck together with PVA glue and painted then real coal lumps added and again stuck down with PVA.

I've found lots of uses for these coffee stirrers including the barrow crossing at the end of the platform and the sleeper built fence between Jone's garage and the goods yard.
There's not much fence visible in the above picture though as the undergrowth is starting to take over!
Today's environmental health dept would have a field day at the pollution from those leaking oil drums too!
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Dukedog » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:46 pm

The story of Pen Y Bont continues
Going back to the bridge again.
This was the first area of the layout to get the scenic treatment.
To build up the ground I used crumpled up newspapers covered with a skin consisting of torn newspapers all stuck down with PVA.
I worked out that I have used nearly a full litre of the stuff during the layouts construction!
Here is the bare landscape with a coat of matt grey emulsion.

This was then followed up by a layer of hanging basket liner and Woodland Scenics foliage. The dry stone walls were picked up cheap from the local model shop for 50p each! Unpackaged, I think they are Gaugemaster products but, I'm not sure. The ballast is a mixture of Jarvis grey and brown ballast chippings.
Finaly for this post a veiw accross the road over bridge. I used thick card for the road bed, added scatter and weeds and my first tree was made and planted.

More on the building of the layout soon.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Butoxeter » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:39 pm

I like this a lot, Frank, and especially the girder bridge area. It's getting a real permanent 'belongs in the landscape' feel to it!

Edit - typo
Butoxeter

Postby MartinWales » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:20 pm

There's some really nice stone work in that overbridge-well done sir! :mrgreen:
MartinWales

Postby Dukedog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Some buildings.
Moving on with the story of Pen Y Bont, The station building is based on the prototype at Aberaeron. Scratch built from various embossed Plasticard.
The prototype being unusual in the fact that it used Brick, wood and corrugated iron in it's construction. I didn't have any drawings so I scaled all the major dimensions from photographs. I think it looks about right though.
This is a view of the front of the building.
The smaller corrugated iron lock up was also based on the one at Aberaeron and was also scratch built from plasticard
And another picture showing the canopy

The signal box is a modified Ratio kit,( more on that later)

Meanwhile at the other end of the layout the buildings on "Station road" were taking shape.
This row of cottages, the shop and the pub were also scratch built, this time using Wills sheets for the walls and Slaters Plasticard roof slates.
Jone's garage (the rear of which is shown above) was salvaged from my previous layout and is also scratch built from Plasticard.
All of these buildings were painted using household emulsion paint test pot colours, Dulux "Buttermilk" being a good match for the Western region cream!

More soon
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby John B » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 pm

You've captured the vernacular architecture very well, Frank, in my opinion. The domestic buildings scream "Welsh" in colour and style. And the station building is superb - a prime example of why using a prototype as a basis for a model works so well - it's hardly a "typical" building in any way, yet it looks instinctively "right". This layout has that elusive "sense of place" by the bucketload.
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby Dukedog » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks for the above comment John.
here's another closer view of the buildings at street level.

I had a problem of how to make this road disappear into the backscene. I came across an idea I found on an American model railroad web site and thought I would like to try it on my layout.
I went out into rural Shropshire and shot a few pictures that I thought would be suitable, and settled on this one.
I edited the image in Photoshop and printed it out, trimmed it a little with some scissors and stuck it onto my backscene.
I made some more trees to disguise the joints, a splash of grey paint to help blend it in and this is how it turned out.
I'm quite pleased with the results.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Butoxeter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:34 pm

I think that's a spectacular result, Frank! :)
Butoxeter

Postby Brinkly » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Frank that is excellent, I couldn't work out where it started. truly superb. :)

As ever,
Nick

Minister without Portfolio!
Brinkly

Postby Dukedog » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Just adding a couple more pictures to this thread.
The signal box. A modified ratio kit. There is no internal lighting so I didn't go overboard with the interior detail. I have just fitted a 22 lever frame and block token instruments.
I've often wondered why folk model working lamps on models and leave them on full when the layout is modeled on a sunny summers day, not very "green" is it?
The block token instruments can just be made out as a red "blob" through the left hand window.
I've tried to capture the "well weathered and battered" look of some of the prototypes I remember!

Picture 025.jpg

Note the "hole" in the platform face that will accommodate the point rodding and signal pull wires (Eventually!)
This second veiw also shows the two lamp huts, one is a Wills kit and the other was scratch built.
Picture 026.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Dukedog » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Time for another post.
Here's a picture of the weighbridge office and surrounding area.
Picture 014.jpg

The building was scratch built to the same size as the coal merchants office (below) Using my usual method of 40thou for the shell and embosed brick laminated on after.
The trees in this picture I'm quite happy with. I used my usual method of wire frames but this time I used Greenscene foliage rather than the woodland scenics stuff I used for the others on the layout.

Picture 067.jpg

The coal office was built first, I used Ratio plastic guttering and down pipe but they look a tad over scale in this picture, I might replace the down pipe with some 30A fuse wire. The chimney was recycled from the ratio signal box kit.
Regards
Frank
Dukedog

Postby Puds » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Dukedog wrote:Image

I'm not normally one for using this kind of technique Frank, and it might possibly be down to how you've taken the image, but you really do get drawn into that road as it heads off through the trees. Nice one :)
David
You know, it's not just about talking a good model...............but hopefully about modelling it too ;-)
Puds

Next

Return to 00