Kingsbridge Regis the end of the line.

Kingsbridge Regis the end of the line.

Postby westerner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:37 pm

For those who do not know Wencombe from another place let me describe it to you. It is roughly based on Cyril Freezer's Yarlington Junction in his book"The Model Railway Design Manual". Wencombe differs in having a much smaller single road shed and it has lost a couple of sidings (one in the Goods Yard and one at the Dairy). The layout has taken just nearly 3 years to date and is in
a spare bedroom measuring 11ft 9ins. x 9ft although the width of the layout is only 8ft due to a chimney breast.

As you can see it is a branch of a branch.

The fictitious history of the Branch;

In the 1850's the local landowners of the South Hams area of Devon gave their support to to line form Torquay to Kingsbridge via Churston (change for Brixham), Dartmouth. It was hoped that the line would then continue back to the mainline near Plymouth. However the cost of building the line meant that it never got further than Kingsbridge This of course allows me to run a variation of the Kingswear branch timetable.. However a line was built from Wencombe down to Slapton allowing this area to develop as a tourist destination. As Dartmouth now had a direct connection to the mainline the line to Kingswear was never built. This branch to Slapton was strengthened during the 2nd World War to allow easier access to the beaches between Slapton and Torcross which were being used for practising the D-Day landings. The layout is set in 1958- the early1960's allowing Hydraulics as well as steam on the line as well as early DMU's.

I 've attached some pix (not sure whether they were on the other place).
Last edited by westerner on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Re: Wencombe

Postby westerner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:44 am

I think I've done it and to see if it still works I'll post 3 more.

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby John B » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 am

Ah, the benefits of a smaller, compact, bijou forum. I'd completely missed this gem in the other place - threads seem to get lost so quickly there.

That dairy is a masterpiece of kit-bashing - I *think* I can peg it's origin as a Walthers kit, but it's so well done as to make me uncertain - it looks absolutely right in it's setting. And that country road junction really evokes the elusive sense of place for me.
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby westerner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm

You think correctly John it is a kitbashed Walthers grain store kit.

Just one more pic of the barrow crossing

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm

As you may have notuced the station has no name running in boards at the moment. Hopefully by the end of the weekend they will be done and on the layout. I'll then take some pix and say how I made them.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Wenbridge » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm

I think you have created some very West Countryish scenes with this layout and I bet its good fun to operate too.

Your dairy I particularly like, it very much puts me in mind of that which existed at Lostwithiel.

Great stuff!
Simon Castens

http://www.titfield.co.uk

And even if our labours shall not conduct to any great or important results, they will yet have the means of opening to us an inexhaustible fund of rational occupation and amusement
Wenbridge

Postby Butoxeter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:57 am

Wenbridge wrote:Your dairy I particularly like, it very much puts me in mind of that which existed at Lostwithiel

Yes, it does rather impart the atmosphere of places like that!

In fact, many of the buildings and some of the sidings are still extant at Lostwithiel...
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Adam » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:01 pm

Butoxeter wrote:
Wenbridge wrote:Your dairy I particularly like, it very much puts me in mind of that which existed at Lostwithiel

Yes, it does rather impart the atmosphere of places like that!

In fact, many of the buildings and some of the sidings are still extant at Lostwithiel...

I do like the rather 'plonked in the countryside' look that country dairies tend to have - think Appleby or Chard Junction - and that the model captures this perfectly. Less convinced by the Scarab tanker though - very much an urban animal - and very much one of those modellerisms. A small tanker, flatbed with churns or an 8 legger tanker would be more typical.

Adam
Adam

Postby westerner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 pm

I agree Adam and I do have a small tanker to replace the scarab which to my eyes looks a tad over scale. I mentioned earlier abot the running in boards please look in W.I.P forum for that info.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Another pic for those of you new to the layout, (trying out the new attachment feature.whilst I'm still doing the running in boards.

Forest& Mogul 23Jun08.jpg
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm

The Running Boards now finished and installed. Next lampost and totems and things.

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Some new images at Wencombe. The South Devonian rolls into Wencombe to be met by the branch B set.

I must get started on the lamposts etc.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:30 pm

I seem to be doing some modelling again. I've put together two Mike's Models water cranes which have been sitting in a drawer for about a year (Haven't painted them yet or set them properly into the layout). I've also put together another Mike's Models kit, the medium GWR yard crane, that I bought at the MRC stand at Ally Pally some 5 years ago. I hope it's OK as I had no instructions. It' painted but again not set permanently in the layout and I've not yet added the chains. part of me is wondering if I should leave it in a semi derelict state.

A couple of pix of the yard crane and in the distance can be seen one of the water cranes,

Image.

After weeks of modellers block this modelling is good fun! :o :o
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Butoxeter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Nice Class 22 Alan - is that the Silver Fox one?
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby westerner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:21 am

Yes it is the Silver fox one bought as Christmas present many years ago at Warley. I've just weathered it and put pipes on the front. It has a Hornby chassis.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:18 pm

You lucky devil Alan,fancy having one of Mikes yard cranes tucked away.That is just the type I wanted for Penhydd but could I get hold of one. :roll:
Were it me then I would add the chains,well rusted mind you and mount it on a small circular stone base,add a few weeds around to give a slight feel of neglect and decay.Water crane also looks very nice,it's good to see you are motivated and enjoying your modelling again.

Geoff
Geoff

Postby westerner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for that Geoff. I quite like that idea. For ease of manufacture it might be a square stone base. Next is try and get some Mike's Models lampposts.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Yard crane now finished and I took geoff's advice and mounted the crane on a stone plinth and "weeded" it

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Neil » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 am

Really nice work Alan (I think I'm allowed to say that now) the layout simply oozes charm.
Neil

Postby westerner » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:36 pm

This modelling lark is a bit addictive.

I decided to do something about my Lima 121. The running was terrible, when it did run and didn't short out the layout. I noticed that Hatton's were selling off Chiltern 121 at £39-00. It meant i would get one with the new Hornby chassis. It came the next day so decided not only to swap chassis but to add all the pipe work from the craftsman kit. I also thought putting the destination panels in would be a good wheeze. I used the same programme that I used for the station name boards, namely Coral Draw. The old body was already weathered so all i had to do was weather the chassis. I think it just about looks OK. I still need windscreen wipers as I also changed the glazing to flush glazing.

If you look carefully you will just be able to make out Slapton on the destination board.

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Brinkly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi Alan,

Very nice work sir, the Craftsman detailing parts really do breath a bit more realism into older (or less detailed) models.

Kind regards,
Last edited by Brinkly on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Nick

Minister without Portfolio!
Brinkly

Postby westerner » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Thought I'd share a couple of pix of the 121 now its had its chassis painted and weathered.

It's the mid morning train from Slapton to Kingsbridge crossing the stream about to enter Wencombe.

Now to get back to the Western and finish adding the pipes etc.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:41 am

Over the last couple of weeks I have been building the Ratio GWR Bracket signal and struggling to make it work. Eventually I succeeded, not bad for somebady who has ten thumbs :cry: :D . I have placed it on the layout and all it needs now is the strings under neath the layout. I have decided to delay doing that until I have completed nay other working signals and the I will put a lever frame together. so I will ahve my own little signal box to play with. Any way here are a couple of pix.

The pannier with pick up goods waiting for the off to Slapton.

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby westerner » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 am

just sketched out aroute map of the layout.

Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Easterner » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:09 am

Like the new signals Alan, all they need now is a slight toning down and some point motors to go with them ;)
Thanks as always

Josh
Easterner

Next

Return to 00