Market Weighton by the ERFG

Market Weighton by the ERFG

Postby Rippers » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Yep we never stop long enough for the dust to settle at the ERFG..........

With the NRM layout now safely installed its time to wheel out the next project...........which in the best Blue Peter tradition...heres one we made earlier...... :shock:

mw1.jpg

The not uncomplicated double junction station at Market Weighton (handling trains to and from Beverley and Driffield at one end and York and Selby the other)....so not exactly you average run round loop and coup0le of sidings scheme then!!.............. even after some selective compression this mega model weighs in at a not unconsiderable 40ft by 21ft....and can handle 15 coach double headed holiday excursion trains withought looking at all full. :mrgreen:
mw2.jpg

mw3.jpg

So how did we build it so quickly I hear you say.....probably!!......

The quick answer to that is that Mally (and most of the rest of the motley assortment that now form the ERFG) built it getting on for 20 years ago! 8-) ......held up well hasnt it!!.
mw4.jpg

We did have it on the exhibition circuit on an off for a few years in the 1990's and actually managed to sell it some 10 years back...... however the purchaser simply put it into dry store as we had packed it for collection and that is as it has stayed until his untimely death earlier this year. Whereby we were given the oppotunity of re-aquiring the layout....
mw5.jpg

mw6.jpg

What you see here is less than half of the scenic area (and less than a fifth of the layout as a whole)......so it s big un!!. Plans are a bit sketchy at present due to other commitments. However intial thoughts having now found that i still actually works are to give it a full clean and bring the electrics and scenics up to 21st centuary standards.......

Make a good club layout for someone.....anyone? :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Riding Finescale Group

Paint Splashing Department.
Rippers

Re: Market Weighton by the ERFG

Postby Tappa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:22 pm

One incy wincy detail Neil forgot to mention is that it is 16.5mm fine scale.
Jeff Taylor

You can't be optimistic with a misty optic
Tappa

Postby Clive » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Poor Steve looks very lost. :? I expect he is wondering how big the car is that it fits in? Not all layouts fit on the back seat of a car :) :)
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Tappa » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 am

I think he was wondering how many coal hoppers he could fit behind his Cl. 70 :D
Jeff Taylor

You can't be optimistic with a misty optic
Tappa

Postby iak » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:22 am

Mmmmmmmm 8-)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Neil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 am

Clive wrote:Poor Steve looks very lost. :? I expect he is wondering how big the car is that it fits in? Not all layouts fit on the back seat of a car :) :)

Never mind the transport, I remember it filling half a school hall many years ago. Big hall too; it's a bit of a whopper.
Neil

Postby MartinWales » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 am

Must say that's probably the best looking 16.5mm track I've seen.......
MartinWales

Postby steve1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Tappa wrote:I think he was wondering how many coal hoppers he could fit behind his Cl. 70 :D

Or an Alco RS3 and a line of ore jennies. :D

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Rippers » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Neil wrote:
Never mind the transport, I remember it filling half a school hall many years ago. Big hall too; it's a bit of a whopper.

Yep thats the one!! ;)............seen here in a few old shots of Johns at its last outing with us.
FromEast1.JPG

Big isnt it!!
FromWest2.JPG

and complete with 2 deck fiddle yard as the trains generally ran Hull - York and Selby-Driffield crossing in the station - therefore we recrossed them back in the fiddleyard.
Group.JPG

Some of the 'youthful' group on the layouts last exhibition date some ten years and a lot less grey hair ago! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rippers

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:00 pm

I didn't quite remember that fascia sign on the layout as the first one seemed to look like this.
Group2.JPG

Thinking about it, I should talk as the station sign on our last project at the NRM did look something like this when first installed.
"BACKMANN St. GILES"

Glasshouses and stones I suppose. :face:
Flashes, bangs and burning smells dept.
Judge Dreadfull

Postby Rippers » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Work at cleaning the layout and upgrading the 2o year old scenics with the addition of newer materials continues at a considerable pace....
mw2.jpg

Steve and Craig making short work of improving the looks of the first three scenic board with a range of scatter materials and copious amounts of cheap hairspray! ;)

mw1.jpg

Thought the allotments may require more attention as the veggies have got a bit out of hand in the 10 years the layout has spent in store! :shock:

mw3.jpg

The couple of hours of their work making a big difference to the appearance of the model.
mw4.jpg

mw5.jpg

mw6.jpg

Along with the scenic improvements we are also carrying out extensive testing ............... mind I doubt the batteries on this could have got this newly assembled assembly of Replica bits this far of the 3rd rail network!!.

We should be in a position to progress to the next boards done - however the ERFG are taking time out to promote the hobby at a charity event this weekend and we have Holcombe Brook and Tottington , plus the Judges new trainset at Shipley in a couple of weeks time. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rippers on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rippers

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Mmmm MLV, doesn't seem five minites since SMU's (Steam Multiple Units) were running here.
SMUs.JPG

There must be some-one out there who could give this layout a good home? :?:
Judge Dreadfull

Postby Rippers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 pm

By way of an update it might be worth appraising that this layout (well the scenic section only) will be making a rare public appearance when it goes on display for a period of one month starting 13th December this year in the Minster at Beverley. So if you happen to be in the town over the festive period (and wish to view it) you know where to find it!. :mrgreen:

Mind you might also come across it on TV or the radio as we seem to have been bombarded by media requests relating to it over the last few days as it will be forming part of a display by the Minster Rail Group who are campaining for the re-opening of the Beverley-York line as featured on the layout.
mw6.jpg

mw7.jpg

Related to which we borrowed a room recently so as to errect the whole scenic portion of the model in one go for testing (the first time we - or anyone else for that matter - has seen the model like this for over a decade).
mw8.jpg

mw13.jpg

A sizable layout isnt it - we used to run 15 coach double headed passenger snad 45-50 wagon freights on here and they didnt come anywhere near swamping the scene - in fact you could easily loose a small freight or 3 coach set if you werent careful! :shock: . Mind when errected in its full state with fiddle yards it is 40' by 21' so big enough to leave the transporting van in the middle without it getting in the way of the operators! 8-) ...........mor ethan likely bigger than most of the main line layouts currently on the circuit.
mw5.jpg

mw11.jpg

As we parted with vitually all of the 1930's period stock that we used on the model when originally shown on the circuit we have employed a bit of licence in a limited (but not strictly architecturaly accurate) update of the model to the 50's-60's period.

Looks well with this more modern stock on it too!.

Rippers

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:28 am

Hi,

Wow! That's a sizeable station. How big is Market Weighton (the real town)?

Mostyn was always a grandiose station for the likely traffic from the surrounding area but that is connected with the influence of the Mostyn family.

Are you going to operate the layout whilst it's on display?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby John B » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:50 am

Not very big, Richard... I grew up just down the road in Beverley. At the 2001 census it had just over 5,000 inhabitants - back in the 30s / 60s I dare say it was no bigger.

The importance of the station was due to it being the crossroads of two secondary main lines - Beverley to York, and Selby to Driffield.
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby Rippers » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 am

Richard Oldfield wrote:Hi,

Wow! That's a sizeable station. How big is Market Weighton (the real town)?

Mostyn was always a grandiose station for the likely traffic from the surrounding area but that is connected with the influence of the Mostyn family.

Are you going to operate the layout whilst it's on display?

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard

As John has aleady intimated the town its self isnt that big. There has been some modern commuter development of late (post buiding the bypass road) but nothing on the scale of that at nearby Beverley. (I am sure that the story would be different at here and Pocklington had the line remained open with a regular service). The size of the station facilities are more related to the fact that for 17 years it was actually a terminus of the York and Selby lines (though for all the grand appearance of the GT Andrews station building it can barely hold 5 short LNER Coaches - whereas the goods facilities reflect the needs of the farming community more than that of the town (apparently the station was the trans-shipment point for vast amounts of locally grown carrots - as well as livestock).

Curiously the loco shed to the rear of the station was seldom used other than for stabling banking locos after the through routes were constructed. (in fact the nearest road was used in relation to the granary which was constructed in the gap between the loco shed and train shed over the station.

The model will be on display 12 hours a day for a month :? (we struggle with 3 day shows!) so no the plan is for it to be 'demonstrated' :mrgreen: on limited occasions throughout that time. After all the display is all about promotion of the group who are campaigning for the re-open of the route not in any way intended as self promotion on our part. (though at present we appear to be doing all the media interviews! :scratch )

We are just happy to help out.

Neil

Rippers

Postby Alan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Nice to see the layout again, last time I did was at our small show for the York Model Railway Club when it took up most of the hall and some of the stage as well.
Alan

Postby Rippers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

As of yesterday the layout was placed in Beverley Minster and is on display for a month.

It has already hit the local papers (with mixed results on the spelling of names.............Mally Baker is now Mally Brown!...........)

and nearly an hours filming was edited down to a few seconds of TV time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-16151857

Still this is the first time trains will be seen running on it for over a decade.

Rippers

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:13 am

If you haven't been able to visit Beverley minster (worth the trip in it's self) you should hurry up and do so as "Market Weighton" will be returned home this weekend. That's if Mally Brown remembers to book a van!
By all accounts the layout has been well visited and mauled by a great number of visitors. The general feedback was that they liked what they saw.
"Just taking model railways out to the public at large."
Now to do the repairs and hope someone knocks on the shed door at 32B with a cheque book clutched in a hot sticky fist.
All currencies accepted, even Euros!
STOP PRESS
Removal day has now been put back to Monday 9th. Jan.
You are all welcome to turn up and help as the baseboards are now considerably heavier than they used to be!
:axe: :axe:
Judge Dreadfull

Postby steve1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Following its starring appearance in the latest issue of Hornby magazine, Forum members may like to know that the layout will be relocating to Pickering and, eventually, put on public display by its new custodian.

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Return to 00