Bachmann St Giles

Bachmann St Giles

Postby Rippers » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Some of you may recall that as a group we at the ERFG have occasionally got involved in the design and construction of layouts that dont neccesarily fall into the usual easily portable exhibition catagory. In fact theres one or two younger modellers with layouts that were created in our workshop.

Well, we have been at it once again thans to a call not so long ago that offered us the oppotunity of creating a 3.5m by 1.5m model to go on perminant display to promote the hobby to thousands of museum visitors every year............... oh and it had to be designed, built and installed in less than 8 weeks...... :shock:

bla.jpg

blb.jpg

blc.jpg

bld.jpg

What you see here is the finished model, ready for transport to its new home in the new foyer of the NRM at York. Where it currently resides (alongside a second model)entertaining and enthrawling the visitors from near and far. When in full operation the model supports 3 circulating trains plus a 3 further locations where a loco or DMU are opperated on a shuttle system, shunting etc.

A worth while project to get involved with we think, as not only was it an interesting challenge for us, but the finished model we hiope shows the hobby well (within the limitations of the basic specification we were given to work with)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Riding Finescale Group

Paint Splashing Department.
Rippers

Re: Bachmann St Giles

Postby iak » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Gents, mark well and truly reached 8-)
Methinks it should entertain a few wee people and maybe the odd adult as well - bravo!
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Stanier6256 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 am

Yes, a project well worth doing, well designed, and executed. My congratulations. Doing all that in a limited time concentrates minds wonderfully I think. Your only worry now will be reliability and maintenance, but the latter I guess you have in hand. On another forum there has been a lot of traffic on the topic of the early wearing out of modern RTR locos. Your layout should either support or confound the view that modern stuff is not built to last. Keep us posted.
Stanier6256

Postby Pannier Tank » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Congratulations and well done.
Regards,

David
Pannier Tank

Postby MartinWales » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Inspiration indeed! The bar for base RTR is set even higher!
MartinWales

Postby John B » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 am

[phone box stoat]

But but but there's a Hull Corporation phone box outside a LBSC station building!! I know Kingston Comms have expanded, but...!

[/phone box stoat]
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby Tappa » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am

Congratulations John - you win a nights free accomodation in a KC phone box of your choice!

There are one or two other "items" on the layout for people to spot ;)

Jeff
Jeff Taylor

You can't be optimistic with a misty optic
Tappa

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 pm

John B wrote:[phone box stoat]

But but but there's a Hull Corporation phone box outside a LBSC station building!! I know Kingston Comms have expanded, but...!

[/phone box stoat]

Speaking as a retired KC employee of some 22 years service (please note I didn't say I worked for them) the old Hull Corporation Telephone Department has spread it's wings under the KComm banner and now provides a telephone service, in both private lines, office systems and computer services to a major part of the UK. I will conceed that public pay phones do not extend any further than they did in the days when you lived in the area John but the boxes are still painted cream!
Working atlast.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flashes, bangs and burning smells dept.
Judge Dreadfull

Postby Rippers » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Stanier6256 wrote:Yes, a project well worth doing, well designed, and executed. My congratulations. Doing all that in a limited time concentrates minds wonderfully I think. Your only worry now will be reliability and maintenance, but the latter I guess you have in hand. On another forum there has been a lot of traffic on the topic of the early wearing out of modern RTR locos. Your layout should either support or confound the view that modern stuff is not built to last. Keep us posted.

Actually maintenance is the responsibility of the NRM staff and Bachmann I guess - we just built it ............! ;)

However we did run it extensively whilst it was in build - some of the locos we used will have completed 30 to 40 hours running whilst we were checking trackwork, reliability and durability of the model. Some of the stock we used actually improved with time!.

Rippers

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Nicely put together chaps, but which one of you has been channelling the ghost of Cyril Freezer and who's left part of their BMW on the table in the background?
Neil

Postby Rippers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

Neil wrote:Nicely put together chaps, but which one of you has been channelling the ghost of Cyril Freezer and who's left part of their BMW on the table in the background?

Me I guess, given that I designed it!.......when fully opperational it supports 6 trains/locos in operation (3 on the circuits - plus three on shuttles in the yard, shed road and bay platform respectively).

As for the BMW - thats Mallys.....in between bouts of cobbling layouts together it hasnt been unknown for us to end up dismantling or reassembling an odd bike or three. :shock: ....previous to stubbing toes on the BMW we were falling over BSA Dandy's in verious states of assembly.

Still with the NRM layout now in the Museum (hands up all those who have seen it!).....we now have a very full workshop as were are working on a 4mm scale model of Market Weighton ......... which is huge! :mrgreen: ..but does have the advantage that the prototype was just down the road!. :D

Rippers

Postby steve1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:31 pm

hands up all those who have seen it!)

Me, today!

It was in full running order, all trains going and in the right direction too. ;)

A NRM official I was chatting to said that they did have a problem with fingers getting over the barriers but that both layouts were very popular with the punters.

Incidentally, NRM chap said that the Hornby layout has now been converted to DC due to so many problems with the DCC set-up...

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Rippers » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Me too - this very morning! ;)

Layout seems to be copeing well though they are having problems with dust and the related dirt build up on the wheels (no one has told the NRM staff that you have to clean track.wheels etc). :? ..........pitty in some respects that they didnt make full covers for the models (which wold have been better at stopping prodding fingers too).

Still apart from some slight issues with sticking on the engine shed road (dirt) and the fact that the Voyager unit they have didnt like the really tight curves (the branch line they had it one wasnt designed to take it!)....it is holding up well. The same cant be said for the Hornby one though which in spite of ripping out the dcc system and installing dc still isnt working properly.

Rippers

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:26 pm

At the weekend my eldest daughter and her family visited the NRM to view Bachmann St. Giles. My 6 year old grand-daughter Trinity was so taken with what she saw that she had to tell a chap, a perfect stranger, that "My grand-dad built that!".
"Yes dear" was the reply "Grand-dads do build that sort of thing". She got quite upset and repeated the statement several times until my daughter had to step in and explain that she was right, her father, Trinity's grand-father did indeed build the layout.(well part of it, just a member of a team doing his bit to promote the hobby to the general public at large.)
What's next Rippers? :drool
Judge Dreadfull

Postby ColPeake » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14 am

I saw the layout yesterday and must say I was very impressed with it. It also impressed my non-modelling (but railway minded) friends so you must be doing something right!

Colin
ColPeake

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm

ColPeake wrote:I saw the layout yesterday and must say I was very impressed with it. It also impressed my non-modelling (but railway minded) friends so you must be doing something right!

Colin

Thank you for that Colin.
I understand that the NRM has now asked for a new volenteer post to be formed for some one to go in to the shop and maintain the two layouts on a regular basis.
Don't look at me, to quote my old dad,
"Only two things in life to remember, don't get caught and don't volenteer!"
:scratch
Judge Dreadfull

Return to 00