Give my regards to Margery Street

Give my regards to Margery Street

Postby Tappa » Tue May 31, 2011 6:44 pm

My new exhibition layout started construction this weekend. Margery Street is in between Kings Cross Metropolitan and Farringdon on the Widened Lines. It is set circa 1975 with Cl. 31's, Mk1 Suburbans, Cl. 105 DMU's and the like. It will be built to OO, using code 75 Peco track. Scenic viewing is just over 6ft, with an overall length of 14ft.
Code 75 Peco track I hear you ask? Well yes, once the track has had the sleepers spaced out correctly, it doesn't look bad. Plus, it saves me an awful lot of time re-wheeling to EM! Delivery of the baseboards took place last Thursday evening at the ERFG weekly get-together. The work of Colin Stark of http://www.blackcatbaseboards.co.uk/ is excellent and much, much better than anything I could achieve.

These few snaps show the general track layout and how the stock will look. As the ERFG are more of a "doing" group as opposed to a "talking" group, progress will not be quick due to other projects underway, but updates will show progress.

Left-hand end showing the station approaches. The two lines in the centre are the Widened Lines which go down to Moorgate. The point on the right is for Mount Pleasant sorting office. This is something I have introduced on the basis that the station has been invented, so why not a Post Office depot! The diamond crossing is the line heading off towards the LMR lines.

This is the view looking the otherway. Once this was all up, I couldn't resist trying out stock to see how positions look. Here we see a Cl. 31 waiting to depart back towards KX.

Arriving at Margery Steet is a Cravens DMu on an offpeak service.

Hopefully these give an idea of what I am doing. As ever, questions are welcome and if anyone has any info on the Widened Lines, please come forward!
Last edited by Tappa on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Taylor
East Riding Finescale Group

You can't be optimistic with a misty optic
Tappa

Re: Margery Street

Postby Clive » Tue May 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi Jeff

The concept is excellent, I like the idea of a railway link with Mount Pleasant.
The GNR and MR shared the same lines from a junction just under Kings Cross station to Moorgate. The Met Rly lines ran parallel all the way, except at the Ray Street Grid Iron where the main line railways went under the Met. From Kings Cross to Ray Street the Met were on the south and t'other way round for the rest of the journey. The only physical connection between the Met and the mainline railways was at Farringdon to allow the GWR freight trains to travel a short distance over the GN/MR metals to their depot at Smithfield. Until WW2 the GWR ran passenger services to Liverpool St on the Met Rlys tracks.

For the Hammersmith and City line and Circle line would require C stock and the Metropolitan line A stock. The stylish R stock had been withdrawn by the mid 70s.The LMR was still running a few services each day between St. Albans, Luton and Bedford to Moorgate using Class 116 units with three power cars and one trailer. Normally arranged from the Moorgate end, (cab)power car, trailer, power car (cab), power car(cab), Bedford end. From my memory and underlings in my ABCs I cannot say if there was one or two MBS, and which power car(s) they were. These trains looked most strange with a driving cab on the third coach when standing next to the 127s on the Midland. A lone 122 single car was on these services coupled to a three car 116 at some point in the late 60s or early 70s.

Cricklewood's Class 25s were not permitted on the widen lines as they had no LT trip gear. Both Finsbury Park and Cricklewood had Class24s fitted with this gear but they had been sent northwards in the late 60s following the withdrawal of the freights via Snow Hill . Finsbury Park class 31s and 15s were also fitted with this trip gear. If you look at a photo of a Finsbury Park 31, there will be a quarter moon recess with a lever in it on the valance behind the buffer beam on the secondman’s cab side at each end. This was the lever to set the trip gear. Take a step back a few years and you can have Class 24 and 15 hauled freight trains passing through, even the odd one with a SR Class 33. Owing to their smoky exhaust Baby Deltics were not used regularly on the widen lines.

The GN loco hauled services were six coaches long, by the time you have suggested you will be modelling they were arranged S/S/S/BS/S/S with the brake coach normally towards the country end. From Robert Carol’s BR Coach Yahoo group I have the numbers for the coaches for each set in service June 1975 should you want them. Up to three Cravens units could be coupled to form a train on the Moorgate services. These too had the LT trip gear.

There was an interesting LT stock movement, the changing of the tube stock used on the Great Northern and Metropolitan line. A 37 tube unit with a battery loco at each end would work down from Neasden, reverse at Farringdon on to the GN/MR line. It would then travel to Finsbury Park on the BR lines where it would again reverse to Drayton Park.

In my collection of things I think I have A and C stock drawings.
A couple of books that might be worth reading for the history of the widen lines are Steam on The Widen Lines vol 1 and 2 by Geoff Goslin, published by Connor and Butler. ISBN 0947699252 and 0947699287
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Tappa » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Clive - many thanks for that. I've got both of those books you mentioned - they are excellent. I am yet undecided as to whether I will model part of the underground. If I do, it will be a static model! I am already a member of the Yahoo group and so have a copy of the excellent notes on the Suburban stock. The formation of the 116 DMU's is interesting and is hopefully something that I will model.
I am really tempted to re-install the Holborn curve and re-introduce the cross London freights. Cork is being stuck down at the moment and with a bit of luck, the weekend may well see the first lengths of track being laid.

Jeff
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby westerner » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm

I like the idea I do like blue 31's but it seems a shame that only 42% of the total layout will be seen or is the PO depot going to hide the fiddleyard, thus lengthening the scenic area.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Jeff,

I like this idea, speaking as someone who saw these passenger workings a little bit further up the ECML. My parents house was above the tunnel just north of Bounds Green depot and I used to sit on a wall just opposite the depot watching the action. There was nothing better than travelling on a Brush Type 2 plus Mk1 suburbans - the DMUs were routinely ignored as uninteresting (how times change!!).

Of course the GN electrification in 1977 made everything much cleaner and faster - which was brilliant for the commuter but made things tedious for the enthusiast......

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Tappa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Alan - the post office depot won't actually be modelled as it is supposed to be just past the left hand end. Although only 6ft will be visable, I decided from day 1 that this would be a compact layout. The two 4ft fiddle yards are dictated by the length of the biggest train (Cl.31 + 3 Mk1 Suburbans). The idea is that the station is a "bitsa" so you will only see around a loco and two coaches.

Richard - the whole area is something that appeals to me and having already built one layout based on a London terminus, I was keen to expand the theme, hence Margery Street, or Margerine Street as it has now been dubbed by Rippers.
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:29 am

Very much like the plan - and always been fascinated by these lines - especially down through to Ludgate Hill and onto the Southern. Really like the Bitsa station concept - hope you can include that Holborn curve - even if only as a dummy junction?
Look forward to more! Those Cravens oose character even out of the box.

An LT tripcock can be seen in this photo - also full of other grotty detail.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/4545067359/
I particularly like this shot
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/5131374794/

Ride the line in these vids, which you've probably seen - first one has great sound of those Mk1s creaking and groaning over the pointwork at Kings Cross.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpb9oZ6f3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiTRd8dT6A&feature=related

I read somewhere that these trains were used in 12 car rakes to take fans to Knebworth rock festival in 1976 and were full of various '70s rock 'paraphernalia' the next day when back at work on outer suburban work.
Last edited by Raphael on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael

Postby Neil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Magic video clips Raphael, reminds me just how black cities were in my youth. To be fair the last time I was in London was late December '83 and that was just passing though overnight (trying to sleep on Kings X till the underground opened - nightmare) on the way to Paris. London still looked like a set from the Sweeney.
Neil

Postby Tappa » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Finally got the first piece of track laid last weekend - 'twas a bit warm doing it, but it helped setting the ballast.

I have also spaced out the Peco code 75 to give a better look using an etched fold up from PH Designs

The first bit of ballast was put down to see what it looks like - not bad me thinks.

Got a bit more time on my hands now, so progress might be a bit quicker.
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby steve1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:36 pm

That spaced out Peco looks pretty good.

Do I recognise that ballast? ;)

steve
Steve Grantham
General Assistance Dept.
DEMU, EMGS
steve1

Postby Tappa » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Do I recognise that ballast?

From the stock of around a ton :) Having not done much layout-building wise recently, I thought I had best crack on.
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby MartinWales » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 am

Jeff-the look of that Peco finescale track is transformed by a little careful work-superb!
MartinWales

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

What Ho Lucky Fellow, nice ballasting, not in the same league as Mally's but still nice. I hope your electrickery chappie does not make a mess of it drilling holes for the droppers and bus bars etc.
You know, all that complusory DCC malarkey :axe: :devil: :scratch
Flashes, bangs and burning smells dept.
Judge Dreadfull

Postby westerner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am

Just wondered how things are shaping up.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Tappa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Alan - progress is best described in one word - slow! I've been on my hols and working on another project. I have now taken delivery of some building components and so have made a start on the "station building" - in reality an entrance in a row of shows as per Kings Cross Local lines - see here for the general idea http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/ki ... ndex.shtml
A bit more tarck has been laid. I'll take a few snaps of the progress including the buildings at the weekend.

Jeff
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby Tappa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Update time - Judge Dreadfull has weaved his magic and all the boards are now wired up and working. I am using Tortoise motors and so have modified the Peco points by removing the centre spring and moulded pips.

The buildings have also started to come together. A small row will act as a scenic break at one end of the layout, comprising of a pub, the station entrance, a gents outfitters and a cafe. All are based on DPM components, which with a bit of work can be made to look like UK buildings. They all will have detailed interiors as they are quite visable.
Here we see the pub and station entrance

And here is the basics of the "booking hall"

And finally the gents outfitters

The area surrounding Margery Street is built up and so all buildings will have at least three floors.
Hopefully more to come (unless I get distracted again!) and I'll try not to leave it 6 months before I update.

Jeff
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Looking very nice Jeff, especially the shop and pub front mouldings.
Alan

Postby MartinWales » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:09 am

I feel a magazine article coming on........ :scratch :mrgreen:
MartinWales

Postby Tappa » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:13 pm

A quick update. The platforms are now going in. They are the Peco concrete version and have been sprayed in grey primer and will be weathered down once all in situ. Stock is there for clereance tests.

Martin - there will be a magazine article at some point, but as I don't see the layout finished before the end of the year, don't hold your breath. Anyway Widened Lines layouts seem to be the thing at the moment as I am aware of at least 4 that are either under construction or built! Tower Pier is in the next issue of BRM and is worth a look.

Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby David Long » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 pm

It all seems to have gone very quiet, Jeff. Any news ?

David
David Long

Postby Tappa » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi David - 'tis a bit quiet at the moment as I have been engaged on other projects. It will probably be around June time before there is any major progress as there are other non-modelling things happening at the moment which are kinda taking priority. Looking round the 'net, modelling the Widened Lines seems to be the in thing as I am aware of at least 4 other layouts on the go! Maybe we should all meet up and compare?? :lol:
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 pm

The word on the street is that something is about to happen on this layout in the very near future. Be advised, you heard it here first! 8-) 8-) :!: :!:
Judge Dreadfull

Postby Tappa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Sounds interesting - what am I supposed to be doing?
Jeff Taylor

Tappa

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am

Tappa wrote:Sounds interesting - what am I supposed to be doing?

Cannot say, on a need to know basis but if "some-one" thinks your attention is diverted on to "other" projects, that person may think you are not "adjusting" his layout! :lol: :scratch :hmm:
Judge Dreadfull

Postby westerner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm

but as I don't see the layout finished before the end of the year

Is it getting near to completion? It would be good to see an up date.
Alan Davies

westerner

Next

Return to 00