Cripplegate

Cripplegate

Postby Clive » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am

Hi All

After many years of do I / don't I? I have started on a new layout project.

Many moons ago DEMU had a layout competition based on the classic Minories design. Paul W and I were going to enter this competition. We drew plan after plan. It ended up as a small terminus on the Lancashire and Yorkshire boarder; I even went as far as working out where all the point rodding should go. It was going to be in P4. Now to get it all in we decided that a scissors crossover would be needed. One of the points would have to be a double slip for the three platforms. The only way that a double slip could be added was if the diamond in the middle of the crossing was off set. One of the other points became a three way leading a short loco siding. Owing to various life things and lack of working Mo Jos it remained a paper layout.

Last year I started to play with the idea again. This time moving the layout to London and making it 00. I drew the point work in MS paint. The main crossing angle is 1 in 8 and the switches are based on C type switches. Before everyone shouts “Why didn't you use Templot”, I am use to doing drawings in MS Paint and find it easier. I purchased some track components and then left them in their bag until this week end. Sleepers have been cut and gapped. They are stuck down on a printed plan. I have commenced on track building, one point, part of the diamond and part of the double slip have been done. Once this is completed and working I will build a layout around it.

The name for the layout is not an anti disability act jester but takes its name from one the original gates in the Roman wall around London. The only gate that does not have a major road, railway station or underground station named after it. Today most of the area around Cripplegate forms part of the Barbican.

At the moment I envisage the layout to be on a viaduct. The station architecture will be Eastern Region 1950/60s modernisation style similar to Harlow or Colchester. The use of "modern" buildings is very fitting with the area as much was heavily bombed in WW2. It will have 1950s colour light signals, a good excuse to use the model based on Colchester signal box I built for fun. Stock will be 1960s Eastern Region (GN), DMUs, loco hauled suburban trains, possibly the odd corridor train to Cambridge and parcels. If I can think of a suitable perishable goods then an occasional van train.

Cripplegate station.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Re: Cripplegate

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 am

Sounds great. I like the 'modern' take. You could do worse for inspiration for those viaducts and associated walkways than look at the east end of the London Wall Highwalk over Beech Street in the City that ends at Moorgate. Its almost the last piece of swinging 60s architecture left in the Square Mile. Fits beautifully in with those Eastern region modern buildings.
Like this?
this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9190307@N05/2701792999/
or this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9190307@N05/2702594022/in/set-72157605924094914/
lots of detail pix here
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1087629@N24/
Raphael

Postby Clive » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Raphael,

Cheers for the photos, that is the sort of thing I need as the backdrop. I use to work in a 1960s building along Moorfields so I am familiar with the area. As I am writing this I am thinking of lunch from the Pie and Mash shop by Whitecross market :drool :drool :drool Is it still there?

For under the arches I intend to have a selection of businesses, a cafe at one end, a travel agent (Thomas Cook of course, with a Deltic model in the window), a trendy record shop, a newsagent, and a Pie and Mash shop at the far end. The rest of the space under the station will be a parcels depot.

The ideas are well a truly imbedded, it is just making them reality.
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Davef » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 am

And would that be a pie shop of ye olde 'Mrs Miggins pie shop' chain as in Blackadder..... :)

Seriously though, it's going to look good and the name is ....... memorable.

All the best,
Dave F.
Davef

Postby westerner » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 am

Will look forward to see how this progresses. Ever since seeing MRJ's Inkerman Street and reading Trevor Booth's book Baseboard Basics and Making Tracks About building a model of Bolton's Great Moor Street station ( both 0 gauge) I have always liked the look of layouts and stations on a viaduct.
Last edited by westerner on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:33 am

Hi Clive,

It's great to see Mr Mo Jo is back in town. I also like the idea of a layout on raised arches / viaducts.

In the mid 1960s our family lived in Walthamstow but often went into town on Sundays to see what was in the docks, walk through Brick Lane market, have lunch at a cafe in the shadow of the GE main line and maybe finish off at a cartoon theatre in the West End. Seems like a million years ago.

By 1977-8 we lived in North London and part of my industrial training year from university was spent at Ford Brentwood. This entailed a commute on the then newly-opened GN electrified lines into Moorgate then a walk across past Broad Street into Liverpool Street Station for (hopefully) a semi-fast to Brentwood.

Looking forward to watching Cripplegate progress.

Perishables - fish for Billingsgate?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Clive » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:Hi Clive,

Perishables - fish for Billingsgate?

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard

I was thinking something that smelled sweeter, like flowers from Lincolnshire. :)
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Here are some photos of the station throat construction.

006 s.jpg

007 s.jpg

009 s.jpg

Progress is very slow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Clive wrote:Progress is very slow.

Hi Clive,

Progress is progress.

Trains is trains. :D :D :D

Cheers,

Richard.

ps a big thank you for stepping up to the mark and helping us out at Chatham with JR next Sunday. Tim has volunteered for Friday and Saturday so that leaves us looking for one more person for Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
Richard Oldfield

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:50 am

Splendid stuff. Looks a little like Broad Street in its last days - with masses of trackwork missing.

By the way, how far is it to walk to Tappa's Margery Street from Cripplegate?!
Raphael

Postby Clive » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:50 am

Raphael wrote:Splendid stuff. Looks a little like Broad Street in its last days - with masses of trackwork missing.

By the way, how far is it to walk to Tappa's Margery Street from Cripplegate?!

According to my AA route planner 190.7 miles, that's how far it is between Chelmsford and Hull :D :D :D :D

Cripple map.jpg
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 am

Bit too far to go in a lavvieless non corridor Mk1 too!
Raphael

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:17 am

After a very long time sitting in the man shed, Cripplegate has had some work done to the track. I hope to finish tomorrow and will take some photos.
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm

I have finished the track cutting and all components are now tacked inplace. I have pushed some wagons over the point works and there are still some bits that need sorting out. And I have the electric breaks to cut. Here are some pictures.
track 1.png

track 2.png

track 3.png

track 5.png

Adding trains always helps any project.
Brush 2.png

Cravens.png
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Cock Sparra » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Clive

Some Very nice S & C you have there, good luck with insulating it and then electrifying it. What with Tandem Turnouts plus Outside slip plus double slip. I look forward to seeing it operatation. :D
Cheers Phil

I used to be normal but I'm better now
Cock Sparra

Postby AuzzeMit » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 am

Hi..

very nice.. makes me want to do it again with a new layout...

Thanks
StuartM
AuzzeMit

Postby iak » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 am

Now that rocks Clive...
Signal and interlock that then :lol:
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby westerner » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:04 pm

As I do like a good Urban Terminus and class 31 pulling suburban stock, I was just wondering how Cripplegate was getting along?
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Clive » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi Alan

I very good question, to which there is a simple answer. Lack of momentum owing to life. :(
Clive Mortimore

Clive

Postby Tappa » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Clive wrote:Hi Alan

I very good question, to which there is a simple answer. Lack of momentum owing to life. :(

That makes two of us Clive! The new year will "focus" my mind though as Margery Street is due to debut at DEMU in July. Must something to do with suburban London stations and 31's.
Jeff Taylor
East Riding Finescale Group

You can't be optimistic with a misty optic
Tappa

Postby westerner » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Lack of momentum owing to life.

Clive I hope a life gives you a chance to get on in 2013. Oh and a Merry Christmas.
Alan Davies

westerner

Postby Judge Dreadfull » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Tappa wrote:
Clive wrote:Hi Alan

That makes two of us Clive! The new year will "focus" my mind though as Margery Street is due to debut at DEMU in July. Must something to do with suburban London stations and 31's.

I hope the layout shines brightly and flys high for you Tappa. :devil:
East Riding Finescale Group
Flashes, bangs and burning smells dept.
Judge Dreadfull

Return to 00