Fumbling in 3mm Finescale

Fumbling in 3mm Finescale

Postby MartinWales » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:09 pm

As some of you who have bumped into me recently may have heard me utter amongst other deranged ramblings that I have a long term interest in 14.2mm gauge 3mm scale, that is 'ScaleThree' by any other name. Having been a member of the 3mm Society, essential in these matters, for well over a decade I felt it was high time that I actually pulled my finger out and actually did something instead of just hinting and talking about it! To this end I have consolidated a small collection of wagons and passenger stock, some of which have been acquired via another modeller whom I happened to mention to at an exhibition that I expressed an interest and hey presto!, the project and several items were acquired moving the project on several notches.

Recently, the 3mm Society have introduced a new 14.2mm trackbase which available through the Society shop and it looks a treat. Similar in principle to the ol' Ratio Kit track of yore, but with the benefit of modern plastic moulding technology, it sits up there with C&L and Exactoscale in terms of having the correct 'look'.

Obviously having advanced the project a little further in a small space of time, thought has been given as to the specific project parameters, once 'Kinmundy' is brought to fruition, and several ideas are under consideration, but I am extremely anxious not to duplicate what I have already done in 4mm scale, EM gauge.

More soon!
MartinWales

Re: Fumbling in 3mm Finescale

Postby John B » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 pm

MartinWales wrote:Recently, the 3mm Society have introduced a new 14.2mm trackbase which available through the Society shop and it looks a treat. Similar in principle to the ol' Ratio Kit track of yore, but with the benefit of modern plastic moulding technology, it sits up there with C&L and Exactoscale in terms of having the correct 'look'.

Damn. I've been in the 3mm FS "closet" for a while now, and you have to tell me this. Time to rejoin the society, methinks... :roll:
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby MartinWales » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:49 pm

I'll try and post some pics of the said trackbase John!

But well worth re-joining the Society :mrgreen:
MartinWales

Postby Stuart in OZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:06 am

Hi
I myself have been a member for a few years, still having problem with they dark age systems. (NO online shopping)

Here is a pic of the new tack

Stuart in OZ
Modeling the GWR Downunder
Doing it in O Gauge..
Stuart in OZ

Postby MartinWales » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 pm

After 4 years of silence and little progress on the 14.2 mm front including selling up the collection of kits and bits amassed over a similar period, an unmissable offer of some part built locos and track components at a very advantageous price was snapped up!

Which made me rather regret selling some of the better quality items initially, but at least this would mean obtaining EXACTLY what is needed rather than collecting a number of items

As this was probably the reason which derailed the project in the first place (sorry about the 'orrible pun!)it seemed foolish to pass up an opportunity to model something that is close to my heart, namely a passing station on the ex GWR Bala-Blaenau Ffestiniog line.

More soon!
MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:59 pm

What I had in mind was a small collection of stock-three locos, two of which are part built and components for a third

Two coaches initially as most trains seemed to constitute a single brake third

Some dozen kit built wagons initially, increasing as funds allow

Also as most station plans upon the line are somewhat unique and designed for local needs and traffics, a composite track plan with buildings taken from the area, complete with a backdrop of locally based vernacular architecture-chapel/terrace/pub etc
MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 pm

This would be based upon the upper half of the old line-that is the urban/semi rural section between Manod and Maentwrog Road with as previously intimated a composite track plan and buildings culled from various sources

And a sparse train service to match no doubt
Last edited by MartinWales on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:24 pm

A quick phone call to Gary at 247 Developments and the number plates are now ordered-they are 5810/5775/8729
MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Sun May 11, 2014 9:21 am

A trip to Yorkshire, coordinating stewards at the York show, with an appropriate detour to 247 Central, to inspect the lovely plates that Gary has managed to etch in 3mm scale (complete with smokebox numbers), which are winging their way to North Wales as I speak.

Now to some permenant way, and rejoin the 3mm Society!
MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:45 pm

A chance purchase on Ebay has resulted in the wagon fleet doubling overnight-now for some detailing!
MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:05 am

With the surplus items back on Ebay I have taken stock (sorry!) of the roster and find I am O.K. for LNER/LMS opens/BR brake vans but to balance the situation a programme of mineral and fitted van purchases are called for.

Now where's that 3MM Society pricelist!
MartinWales

Return to 3mm FS