Airbrush Kit

Here's the place to share your knowledge of favourite tools and techniques that serve you well

Airbrush Kit

Postby flubrush » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:04 pm

This just arrived today. My mother gave me a bit of money for Christmas and I decided to invest it in some airbrush kit. I remembered a thread on RMWEB some time ago about a cheap compressor/airbrush kit from RDG Tools and went hunting, but RDG no longer sell that specific kit. However a wider look in Ebay soon dug up the same kit at a slightly lower price - £89.99, and free delivery

airbrushkit.jpg

The actual compressor is perched on the black tank with the water trap, gauge and pressure regulator to the right hand end. The compressor is fairly quiet and the adjustable range of the regulator goes from about zero to around 45psi.

There are two airbrushes - both double action. The one on the left is supplied with a side mounting cup and I assume it is the one intended for fine detail work. The one on the right is supplied with a cup, and a mounting for a glass jar (one supplied). I assume that this one is for spraying large areas and there is an adjustable stop for paint feed on the airbrush. I am no expert on airbrushes - my experience of spray painting starts with shaking Halford's Car paint aerosols :) But both airbrushes seem to be OK and I dare say I will find out in due course whether they are satisfactory in use.

I played around with both airbrushes and the compressor to see how things worked. The compressor seemed more than capable of handling anything that the left hand airbrush could do, but I noted that the right hand airbrush could beat the compressor if you held its air feed constantly at maximum opening for a few seconds at higher settings of the regulator. This might be a problem if a large area has to be sprayed, but I suspect that the problem will not occur when dealing with our size of models.

A two metre tube with fittings is supplied with the kit - on the right - and both airbrushes each have a coupling supplied, so you could make up a second tube is you sourced a suitable piece of tube.

I must now go and start reading Ian Rathbone's book to see what I have to do. :) I did buy a single action Badger airbrush and diaphragm compressor many years ago but never really got on with it. I dug it out from its hiding place a few months ago and found that it had succumbed to creeping plastic foam rot in its box and required a major job to get it back working again, so this purchase was as a result of that discovery.

The Ebay URL of the equipment is at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280602893795&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I think it is a good piece of kit for the price and could be worth it for the compressor alone. I aim to use the airbrushes for scenery so if they are not up to the finest model painting, they will at least be good for track painting and the like. :)

Jim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flubrush

Re: Airbrush Kit

Postby noddy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I picked up one of these a while ago... Minus the air tank.
Nice bit of kit and cheap enough to get started with a airbrush.

Cheers
Andy
noddy

Postby Butoxeter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 am

Interesting - would like to see how you get on with the airbrushes. I've got a compressor already, but my questions are - do the airbrushes use a standard fitting air line from the compressor to each airbrush, and also - what's the brand name on the airbrushes? The advert seems to just refer to 'top of the range' - but who's range is it?

Thanks.
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby flubrush » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Butoxeter wrote:Interesting - would like to see how you get on with the airbrushes. I've got a compressor already, but my questions are - do the airbrushes use a standard fitting air line from the compressor to each airbrush, and also - what's the brand name on the airbrushes? The advert seems to just refer to 'top of the range' - but who's range is it?

This seems to be the manufacturer and they seem to have a large range of airbrushes. There is no actual brand name or identification on the brushes - the type number is on the instruction sheet included in the box.

http://fenghuabida.en.hisupplier.com/

As a newcomer to airbrushes, I've no idea if these are good, bad or indifferent. I did notice that operating the air on one of the brushes seemed to be a bit on/off - with a graduated opening being difficult to achieve. Whether this is normal or not, I don't know and it might be what would be expected, or perhaps a more expensive airbrush makes it easier to get a more graduated start on the air. At the price for the kit, I'm not really expecting Rolls Royce quality - or whatever the equivalent is in airbrushes :) - but , as I said before, they could be useful for less exacting work if they were found to be lacking in any way for more exacting work.

The compressor has 1/4" BSP fittings and on doing a quick Google around, that seems to be a fairly common connector standard for airbrushes.

Jim.
flubrush

Postby Davidb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:19 pm

I bought a compressor & airbrush before Xmas. I wanted to avoid higher VAT and there was an offer on. It has been my experience that, by & large, you get what you pay for.

After much research and looking at other forums, I bought an Iwata Sprint compressor and an Eclipse airbrush. I can't comment on their use yet as I haven't been able to set them up - it's been too cold in my workshop and the management would be dischuffed if I started spraying things in the house.

Dai
Last edited by Davidb on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davidb

Postby flubrush » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Dai,

I just did a quick Google and found that your Eclipse airbrush can be from about £110 upwards and the Sprint compressor from about £190 upwards. My main concern is my competancy with an airbrush and I'm not certain how much better my results would be spending another £200+ :) :)

Jim.
flubrush

Postby Davidb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 pm

The price has risen - I didn't pay as much as that, but I take your point. I had in mind your comment "I did notice that operating the air on one of the brushes seemed to be a bit on/off - with a graduated opening being difficult to achieve."

Budget is important, but so, too, is satisfaction in the end result. I am not experienced with airbrushes. I last used one some 25 years ago. It was a Humbrol and used canned air. The results were 'alright' but the paint droplets were not reliably fine and controlling the air was difficult.

Hence my observation relating cost & quality (of result). With the right tool, it is possible to get much better results, though it usually costs more. Budget . . results. It's a matter of balance and what is important to any particular person. For me it was a matter of doing some research and buying what I thought was the best I could afford. I could have spent more (if I had had the money) but I'm not sure the results would have been worth the extra.

The other thing, of course, is practise. Ian Rathbone suggests getting an old metal bodied loco or something, stripping it and using it to practise on. It can then be stripped again . . and again . . and . . . .

My three ha'porth.

Dai
Last edited by Davidb on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davidb

Postby Color fast » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:00 pm

I bought my airbrush from the company in Bournemouth, and the compressor I bought in a flog off in B&Q. Total cost about £60 :!:

The Tim Shackleton weathering DVD was my inspiration, but being outdoors this time of year is a no no, plus it's too damp as well.

I'll have to wait for better weather before getting out the airbrush equipment again.
Tim
Color fast

Postby Parthia27 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:19 pm

No matter what type of airbrush you use you cannot get good results without practice. I have recently moved from an Aztec A470 Airbrush / Badger Compressor setup which I have had for about three years to using Iwata Revolution BR and CR Airbrushes and Powerjet Compressor. The difference in performance is IMHO amazing, the CR airbrush is stunning and there is no doubt that you get what you pay for. I've not yet tackled the BR, which I hope will deliver the same performance as it's stablemate. If you can afford it I would say that as with all tools you should go for the best value and quality you can afford. Buying Iwata, Pasche and other equivalent high spec airbrush kit is an investment in quality. Also I anticipate that I will be keeping the Iwata kit I have bought for a fair number of years, so the initial cost difference between an Iwata and other budget kits is really irrelevant when you measure it over the longer term. If other people's budgets cannot stretch to Iwata or similar, I would recommend a look at a the Premair G35, an excellent airbrush at around £40.

Cheers

ChrisM
Parthia27

Postby westerner » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:19 am

I agrre with the comment about the Premier G35. It got very good ratings in tests in various Model mags last year. I've got one and been very happy with it. Also the service from Airbrush .com is excellent.
Alan Davies

Modelling the Western Region in East Anglia

My layout viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18
westerner

Postby flubrush » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:09 am

Dai wrote:The price has risen - I didn't pay as much as that, but I take your point. I had in mind your comment "I did notice that operating the air on one of the brushes seemed to be a bit on/off - with a graduated opening being difficult to achieve."

Budget is important, but so, too, is satisfaction in the end result. I am not experienced with airbrushes. I last used one some 25 years ago. It was a Humbrol and used canned air. The results were 'alright' but the paint droplets were not reliably fine and controlling the air was difficult.

Hence my observation relating cost & quality (of result). With the right tool, it is possible to get much better results, though it usually costs more. Budget . . results. It's a matter of balance and what is important to any particular person. For me it was a matter of doing some research and buying what I thought was the best I could afford. I could have spent more (if I had had the money) but I'm not sure the results would have been worth the extra.

Dai,

I suspect that I might be purchasing another airbrush sometime in the future when I starting trying to get some experience in using the things. :)

But I often wonder about anything manufactured in China these days being sold cheaply. I believe that Chinese business ethics could be a bit different to what we might be used to. Nothing to do with model railways, but last Christmas I purchased online a pair of UGG boots for my grand-daughter. It was only when I got the confirming emails for the purchase that I noted that they came from China. I discussed with my grand-daughter and her mother about cancelling the deal since they were obviously fake (i.e. not from Australia) but they said to wait and see what actually arrived. The boots arrived and they were indistinguishable from the real thing, and, most importantly, they were of good quality since she has worn them regularly and they are still going strong. I did find out that the real UGG boots are made in China and I would reckon that what I bought were more than likely grey exports from the same factory, or factory seconds with some small imperfection somewhere. So I reckon I got a pair of genuine UGG boots for less than half price. I would be interested to know if the airbrush product I have purchased is being badge engineered by some suppliers. :)

Jim.

PS I hope this doesn't descend into a discussion about UGG boots. I have to confess that I thought the price I paid for the 'fake' ones was high enough. :)
flubrush

Postby Gavin Liddiard » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:22 am

Five years ago we at BMRG bought an air compressor with the intention of spraying the large number of rolling stock that have been built subsequently.
We chose an SIP Airmate oil free compressor with a 50 litre resevoir. This may seem a little excessive but it was on sale at Costco at a very good price.

Through my work I aquired a 60cm kitchen base unit and a canopy type extractor unit which I used to build a spray booth.

We also aquired a moisture seperator and finally bought some quick release couplings to allow us to easily switch between air tools.

The weekend that we decided to start spraying found us without a rather important piece of kit.... an airbrush.

After a rather fruitless search we stopped at Machine Mart in Chester and found that they sold two types of airbrush, a single action (~£9.50) and a double action (~£29). I bought one of each.

As I had never sprayed anything before, my practice was to be a weekend spraying the track panels that were to be loaded on Richard's Salmon wagon rakes.
I chose to use the single action airbrush which has turned out to be perfect for spraying complete wagons/locos and is the type I have used most over the years.
The double action airbrush I have used much less but is useful when fine control is required.

During that first weekend I found that the 50 litre air resevoir came into it's own as with near constant spraying it limited the time that the compressor was running.

After this baptism of fire I progressed onto the Salmon wagons. The results seemed satisfactory.

As others have stated, practice is vital to learn the tecniques needed to get the best results.
You need not buy expensive airbrushes although I would recommend a compressor with as large a resevoir as possible.
Gavin Liddiard

Postby Davidb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:10 am

When I was buying my airbrush, I bought from Graphic Air http://www.graphicair.co.uk/ who I found cheaper than https://airbrushes.com/ but who gave excellent service.

There are many cheaper products on the market, some of which will be fine and others which will not last the course. I stand by what I said earlier in that, by & large with tools, you get what you pay for. The most expensive is not necessarily the best and one needs to research the market. I don't go for the newest product either but read through other people's experiences. Let them spend their money and find the good & bad points. I then buy what I feel is the best that I can afford.

I have bought many tools over the years (mostly for woodworking) and those which have become old friends are mostly those I have invested in. There are some cheap ones amongst them; most acquired by accident like the screwdriver from the toolkit that came with a Renault 4 in the 1970's (remember when cars came with toolkits?). It is still going strong having been hit, bent, straightened, sharpened, dunked in countless liquids and generally abused for the last 40 years. In those days, there wasn't the quantity of cheaper imports. Some tools I have picked up from market stalls and second hand shops. Have any of you visited the Tool Box in Colyton (Devon)? http://www.thetoolbox.org.uk/ It is small but packed. I have picked up some very useful tools from here, some large, others small for modelling. Sometimes I have found nothing, but spent a fascinating time browsing! The chap who runs it is an O Gauge modeller.

This works for me; it won't be for everyone.

Dai
Davidb

Return to Tools and Techniques