8ins Bench Shear/Bender

Here's the place to share your knowledge of favourite tools and techniques that serve you well

8ins Bench Shear/Bender

Postby micknich2003 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 pm

I have just acquired an 8ins "Shear/Brake, a great aid and time saver when scratch building. The tool is ideal for accurately cutting tinplate, brass or nickel silver sheet up to 20thou/0.5mm thickness. Obviously, it will take me a few days to become acquainted with it but I can already see its potential, and if nothing else it will save me a small fortune in purchasing the various grades of Piercing Saw Blades. I obtained mine from Arc Euro Trade of Syston near Leicester. See their website http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk apart from the Shear plenty of other "Goodies" of use to the scratch/kit builder.
_MG_4179.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micknich2003

Re: 8ins Bench Shear/Bender

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Mick,

Looks very interesting and at £145 may not be cheap but would earn its keep in time saved if it proves good.

We've got a set of 'Hold & Folds' available for bending etched components. For cutting thin sheet I have either used hand-held shears (not really recommended because of the bending that results) or made a deep score with a scrawker until the piece can be separated before cleaning up the resultant edges with a decent file (not all that easy to be accurate).

Is it possible for you to take an image of the edge you get when using the shear action on a piece of brass?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Davidb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:48 pm

A couple more bending / cutting brakes made by Sieg. See:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/page/find/?name=Sieg%20miniature&page=1

David
Davidb

Postby micknich2003 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:Hi Mick,

Is it possible for you to take an image of the edge you get when using the shear action on a piece of brass?

Cheers,

Richard
BEND 1.JPG
BEND 2.JPG
BEND 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micknich2003

Return to Tools and Techniques