BR Fruit Vans

Moderators: iak, iak

BR Fruit Vans

Postby iak » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Now this is a nightmare subject.

DSC_0315.jpg

This is an old LMS design, built by BR in 1949 to Dia.1/230 Lot.2018.
Fine you say. Its a baisc Parkside kit with replacment MJT buffers and an Ambis brake lever; the lever guide again being scratch-built.
The repairs to the door are pieces of evergreen strip.
The underframe is an LMS type and it got LMS style 8 shoe brake gear.
However, some very bizarre mixes appeared including LMS Underframed vans with LNER type 8 show brake gear.
One of these beasties is on the bench at the moment - this involving much jiggery pokery :scratch
I hope to have some images soon for your amusement...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Re: BR Fruit Vans

Postby david bigcheeseplant » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 am

ImageImage

Here is my fruit van with the LNER clasp brake gear, the sprung subframe and bake gear are from Masokits

David
Last edited by david bigcheeseplant on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
david bigcheeseplant

Postby stu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 am

In reply to all the wagon posts excellent, keep 'em coming! Got some assorted new Bacchy BR vans to do plus some GW fruit vans so any thoughts on those............?
Stu
stu

Postby david bigcheeseplant » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:35 am

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

My fruit van and also a standard BR Vanfit with 8 shoe clasp brake underframe again Masokits.

David
david bigcheeseplant

Postby iak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am

david bigcheeseplant wrote:ImageImage

Here is my fruit van with the LNER clasp brake gear, the sprung subframe and bake gear are from Masokits

David

You've beat me tae the punch :hmm:
Mind it is a tasty beastie.
Like I say, I'll try to get some images of work in progress sorted...
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

iak

Postby iak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

stu wrote:In reply to all the wagon posts excellent, keep 'em coming! Got some assorted new Bacchy BR vans to do plus some GW fruit vans so any thoughts on those............?
Stu

Hmmm.
I'd have to measure them up...
The GWR covered van that Bachmann does is ok dimensions wise, its just getting a proper underframe sorted out.
The Bachmann BR vans again are spoilt to my eyes by the underframes but then I do like noodling with wagon chassis :devil:
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

iak wrote:The GWR covered van that Bachmann does is ok dimensions wise, its just getting a proper underframe sorted out.

As it happens, I've got 6 unpainted specimens bought many moons ago which could well get a warming up and a new chassis. Think the Ratio one isn't too bad in terms of the solebars.

The Bachmann BR vans again are spoilt to my eyes by the underframes but then I do like noodling with wagon chassis :devil:

I bought a single insulated one off the returns stand a while back and decided I wouldn't bother with any more. I'll be sticking with the Parkside one as it's both cheaper and finer in terms of detail. The Bachmann moulding is rather chunky and overbuilt IMHO. It does also mean that I can do my own paint-job with a better finish.....

All this has reminded me that I ought to resurrect some photos and stuff and stick it on here. I've been rather busy of late with 12T vans of all forms.

Cheers!
Tim Easter
Tim

Postby Pixie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Top series of thread Iak - keep them coming!

The GWR covered van that Bachmann does is ok dimensions wise, its just getting a proper underframe sorted out.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were a bit tubby - although that could well be my wires getting crossed. Maybe it was the fruit version or the Mogo? I did start the master sometime ago for a ply-sided GW van but I soon got distracted and the projet stalled. Perhaps one to just off over Easter...

Pix
Pixie

Postby iak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 am

Now the Mogo..
Why bother when the Ratio kit is still about and is pretty decent.
AND the still existed in Engineer's use in ther 70's
All these castings to do eh :face:
Get yer exams done first ye daftie Image
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Pixie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:10 am

iak wrote:All these castings to do eh :face:

I'll get there one day - I'm knee deep in terraced house castings and 37 nose moulds at the minutes! ;) Once they're done I will start on some more rolling stock ones - probably the GW ply mentioned above and the Izal Pallet... but then there's those tasty shocpallets that Clive's been talking about... and....

Get yer exams done first ye daftie Image

Don't remind me...

Boomshanka,

Pix
Pixie

Postby craigwelsh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm

iak wrote:
stu wrote:In reply to all the wagon posts excellent, keep 'em coming! Got some assorted new Bacchy BR vans to do plus some GW fruit vans so any thoughts on those............?
Stu

Hmmm.
I'd have to measure them up...

The GWR Fruit van is ex-Mainline and ideally needs slicing down the middle, a little bit taking out and sticking back together as its slightly overwidth. You can get away with it though unless you try to put a new chassis underneath!

Bachmann BR vans are chunky as people have said above, they look odd in a rake with Parkside kits due to the planking being so much cruder. If you have a RTR rake though which is quite long they are some of the best modern RTR covered stock out there. Do add some metal tie bars though.

I do like your weathered bauxite on these ply vans Iak. Great to see some individual models from the Mostyn rakes appearing on the forums and its a pity I missed you at Wigan. I have a couple of these vans but mostly having the fruit accessories removed. They are on hold while I design an underframe kit and I also want to raise the sides to flatten the roof profile to a more LMS shape.
craigwelsh

Postby iak » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Ahhhh your underframes Craig...
Now they are something to drool over...
The weathering on the vans is a mish mash of techniques which I hope to illustrate - one day :lol:

Sláinte
Robert Fripp

iak

Return to 1970s BR