Some Shocvans...

Moderators: iak, iak

Some Shocvans...

Postby iak » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

So one starts with these:

DSC_0049.jpg

Red Panda vans with added bits and a Parkside Dundas interloper .
Yup the buffer beam on one was replaced.
The buffers are MJT ones from memory and all the brake levers are Masokits with scratch-built lever guides

That leads to:

DSC_0313.jpg

A Dia. 1/220 Lot.3324 Shocvan built in 1959.
The replacement MJT buffers and the brake levers show well here - well worth the effort

DSC_0320.jpg

A Dia. 1/218 Lot.3117 Shocvan built in 1958.
The replacement MJT buffers and the brake levers again show well here.
The need for good images to work from allows differences in buffers to be modeled.

Sadly it appears that these Red Panda kits are not made anymore - shame as they go together really well.
No compensation or springing by the way even if these beasties are to P4 standards.
They run fine and cause no bother - honest :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Re: Some Shocvans...

Postby Clive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 pm

iak wrote:Sadly it appears that these Red Panda kits are not made anymore - shame as they go together really well.

That is a pity. For the dia1/219 vans I need 2 part ends. I brought a pair of Parkside dia 1/209 vans to use as the basis for my conversion and they have 3 part ends :(
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby iak » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Fat Bald Bloke wrote:
iak wrote:Sadly it appears that these Red Panda kits are not made anymore - shame as they go together really well.

That is a pity. For the dia1/219 vans I need 2 part ends. I brought a pair of Parkside dia 1/209 vans to use as the basis for my conversion and they have 3 part ends :(

They do appear on E-Bay occasionally so keep an eye out - its where I've got my most recent ones...
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

iak

Postby Clive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm

iak wrote:
Fat Bald Bloke wrote:

They do appear on E-Bay occasionally so keep an eye out - its where I've got my most recent ones...

Cheers
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Word from Parkside is that although there aren't any kits left at present, the man from Red Panda may well do another production run this year. I'll find out more when I go to Glasgow next month. I could do with a few of these myself for slate traffic ex Port Penrhyn!

Have you got the planked ones too? The Bachmann moulding is a bit on the chunky side....
Tim Easter
Tim

Postby iak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm

3 of them in the to dae box... :lol:
Just need to get some subjects picked out and such.
Mind is Mr Red Panda going to do anything new?
Hmmm a nice Gunpowder Van for instance...................... :scratch
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Pixie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Nice work agian Iak - I'm liking the second one with the shock-absorbing gear removed especially. I've always fancied doing on of the ply ones with the planked doors as shown in one of the Cheona books.

It's a shame if it's true but it sounds hopeful from what Tim's saying. I always make a point on stocking up on the Red Panda 8--hoe clasp chassis when the chance arises - just in case they do ever disappear.

No compensation or springing by the way even if these beasties are to P4 standards.
They run fine and cause no bother - honest

It sounds like you've come to the same conclusion as me on short wheel base stuff- I've found that if anything unsprung stuff runs slightly better on Roath. I guess a small yard with a max speed of sub-20MPH probably isn't the best place for a gauge-wide theory ;)

iak wrote:Hmmm a nice Gunpowder Van for instance......................

Some time ago on RMweb he did mention doing a Gunpowder van but I haven't seen any recent news. Again it's something on my casting list that I've just not yet got round to. One day, one day....

Pix
Pixie

Postby iak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 am

pixie wrote:Nice work agian Iak - I'm liking the second one with the shock-absorbing gear removed especially. I've always fancied doing on of the ply ones with the planked doors as shown in one of the Cheona books.

Some good example in there, in fact I think a least one of these beasties is from that source...

pixie wrote:It's a shame if it's true but it sounds hopeful from what Tim's saying. I always make a point on stocking up on the Red Panda 8--hoe clasp chassis when the chance arises - just in case they do ever disappear.

They are still about in large quantities - in fact Mr Hastie did a run recently I think

They run fine and cause no bother - honest

pixie wrote:It sounds like you've come to the same conclusion as me on short wheel base stuff- I've found that if anything unsprung stuff runs slightly better on Roath. I guess a small yard with a max speed of sub-20MPH probably isn't the best place for a gauge-wide theory ;)

This I learned years ago from David Goodwin who has built a LOT of uncompensated stock.
Anything above 10 ft gets bouncy underneaths now - its a lot easier than the stress of getting them to run rigid otherwise..

iak wrote:Hmmm a nice Gunpowder Van for instance......................

pixie wrote:Some time ago on RMweb he did mention doing a Gunpowder van but I haven't seen any recent news. Again it's something on my casting list that I've just not yet got round to. One day, one day....

Pix

Really??? :drool :shock: ;)
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Waveydavey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Pixie wrote:Nice work agian Iak - I'm liking the second one with the shock-absorbing gear removed especially. I've always fancied doing on of the ply ones with the planked doors as shown in one of the Cheona books.

Weren't most of the all ply shock vans built with the shock gear inside the solebar? It's the ones with outside mounted gear that are the rare(ish) ones. I remember having quite a struggle to find a suitable number for the shock van I run on Longcarse West.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Postby iak » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:47 am

Indeed the shockers are inside mounted.....
I think the Red Panda instructions state this as well?
Mind Mr Larkins books have the info as well probably.
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 pm

There's a goodly number of outside shock all ply vans on Paul Bartlett's site: http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c686509.html

Hopefully once the kit comes back on sale, I've got a fair few I'll be wanting to do myself.
Tim Easter
Tim

Postby Waveydavey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Tim wrote:There's a goodly number of outside shock all ply vans on Paul Bartlett's site:

Yes Tim but most of them are on Morton chassis rather than the clasp braked one supplied with the kit.

The all ply, clasp braked with offset V, outside shock gear vans are the rarer ones. Can't quote any numbers as I've not been to bed yet off a particularly horrible shift (0156 - 1238 if you are interested) and my brain is turning to jelly.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Return to 1970s BR