Gresley Full brake...

Moderators: iak, iak

Gresley Full brake...

Postby iak » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Gad the new Hornby Gresley's are nice.
However some tweaking and nurdling is need afore the one I have acquired can go near "The Beastie..."

1. The floor is too wide so its a bit of trimming, following the musings of Larry Goddard elsewhere.

2. The bogies are the wrong ones - 8'6" Gresley's instead of of 8'0". Some suitable parts have been sourced from Cooper Craft and an auld BB bogie etch. Yes it is going to get sprung bogies... :? And some nice P4 wheels of course...

3. The couplings will need putting in so some musing and cogitating there is needed.

4. The corridor gangways are in need of work, that is of course if they actually still existed. More digging around needed there for my "victim..."

5. Check the ride height and adjust if needed...

6. Jazz up some bits of the underframe but not a lot needed - its that good!

7. Glazing - see if it can be adjusted to lose any prismatic effects that may exist. Mind I'll bet Shawplan are on the case :lol:

8. Repaint in Banger Blue.

9. Crap it up to a suitable dog-eared finish.

Oh so much to do......................... :face:

Anything else anybody could add would be a help but we really are talking dots and eyes here ;)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Re: Gresley Full brake...

Postby iak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 am

Courtesy of the Mostyn Carriage Works Dept. - i.e. Mr Oldfield. ;)
We now have one Hornby Gresley full brake ready for some super-strip action.
Its been slid into another set of projects Richard and David Faulkner are in the middle of, so it saves wasting the super-strip.
Next on the list will be slimming the floor pan; then we will be getting some serious Gresley action.
Some 8-foot wheelbase MJT compensation units have appeared so its one of those which this will run on with Cooper-Craft sideframes.
Thanks again to Richard and David for these noodlings - looks like there is no backing out now :lol:
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

iak

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Iain,

It's perhaps worth adding here that removing the glazing strips from the Gresley full brake was difficult - at least on this example.

They were very well glued down and would not come away from the window areas without putting the vertical window dividing bars under a lot of stress. In the end I broke off the retaining lugs that hold the glazing strips at the top of the bodysides and this 'did the trick'.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby iak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Oooops
Quite correct Richard, to anyone who contemplates a spot of Gresley hatchet work, beware!
Mr Oldfield had quite a struggle persuading said glazing to come away, it is a testament to Richard it didn't get broken 8-)
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Iain,

Guess who's been in the Superstrip?

Time for you to get some underframe butchery on the go..........................

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Butoxeter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 am

Gents - can't see if there are any photos here at work, so if there are any, please do post 'em - especially of the floor thinning process - tempted to get one of these myself!

Thanks.
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby iak » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am

Well its actually a narrowing of the floor :shock:
Check out this link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/310/entry-5278-lner-corridor-carriages-4mm-coachmann/

Larry Goddard came up with the process as a way of correcting the width of the floors on the Hornby Gresleys.
In essence they are 34mm across the solebar faces and this process reduces that to a more accurate 31mm....

Once the work starts I intend to post some piccies mon so stay tuned 8-)
Robert Fripp

iak

Postby iak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 am

Images for two victims now are in hand.
The protocol for the work on a Dia.245 is now drafted so when the painting and lettering gets too irritating its out with the chisel, knives and files.
Banger blue Gresleys - 'ave it! ;)
Robert Fripp

iak

Return to 1970s BR