Hawksworth Full Brake

A place to find past magazine articles and other items of interest.

Hawksworth Full Brake

Postby noddy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Guys
Not sure if these few photos are of interest to anyone. They were taken by my Dad back in the 80's on one of our many days out. Got a few others thats i'm sorting through if anyones interested.

Cheers
Andy
noddy

Re: Hawksworth Full Brake

Postby Penrhos1920 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Excellent.

Any IDs for them?
Penrhos1920

Postby iak » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 am

Ooooo very nice...
But to say why would be telling :D
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Andy,

Excellent timing there!!

Why?

And there are two more of them on the production line.

Can anyone point me in the direction of detailed drawings of the Hawksworth full brakes - are there any internal fitments in the body which would be visible through the windows?
I'm also looking for suitable prototype candidates in 1977 condition (or nearabouts) - one with gangways, one without gangways and one in departmental use would be just fine - inspiration gratefully received.

Cheers,

Richard

ps This is the Hornby model stripped down, glazing removed and awaiting a meeting with some compensation units.
Richard Oldfield

Postby stuartfwlr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm

how many of these survived in the 1977 era out of interest?were they used on general parcels traffic or restricted to loco hauled trains?
stuartfwlr

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Stuart,

stuartfwlr wrote:how many of these survived in the 1977 era out of interest?were they used on general parcels traffic or restricted to loco hauled trains?

The RCTS 1978 coaching stock book (which shows the position at the end of 1977) lists 19 Hawksworth BGs as still in revenue service (i.e general parcels use). It would be more accurate to call them B vehicles at this time as all bar one (W315) had lost their gangways. On top of this we know that an additional number were transferred into departmental usage.

Going off at a tangent here, I also notice that five other GWR-designed full brakes had survived in revenue use to the end of 1977. They are W70W, W92W, W121W, W268W and W270W. Can anyone tell me the appropriate 4mm modelling route to them - I cannot resist parcels stock..............

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby stuartfwlr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:43 pm

hi richard,
thanks for your reply.
Im quite sure you will have seen the picture but there is a cracking shot of a class 40(by david rapson) on a parcels train with a hawksworth in the formation in paul shannons rail blue book on page 53 if you want some inspiration 8-) 8-) .I had wondered what the coach was but this thread verifies my query.
Are there any southern bogie b coaches on the list to be done from the ratio kit?
stuart(following with interest) :)
stuartfwlr

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Stuart,

stuartfwlr wrote:Im quite sure you will have seen the picture but there is a cracking shot of a class 40(by david rapson) on a parcels train with a hawksworth in the formation in paul shannons rail blue book on page 53 if you want some inspiration 8-) 8-) .I had wondered what the coach was but this thread verifies my query.

No, I've missed that image and will have to get hold of it. There's no real excuse either as Dave Rapson's son , Mike, regularly comes along to our club to model so there should be no difficulties getting an enlargement........

stuartfwlr wrote:Are there any southern bogie b coaches on the list to be done from the ratio kit?
stuart(following with interest) :)

Yes, they are on the 'to do' list as well but quite a way down the page. It may well be that the forthcoming Hornby ready-to-run ex-SR Bogie B will be available by the time we get round to it so it will be interesting to see how it compares with the log-established Ratio kit.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby noddy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Glad these might be of some help guys.. Sadly i've not got any ID's for them.
Cheers
Andy
noddy

Postby Penrhos1920 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:The RCTS 1978 coaching stock book (which shows the position at the end of 1977) lists 19 Hawksworth BGs as still in revenue service (i.e general parcels use). It would be more accurate to call them B vehicles at this time as all bar one (W315) had lost their gangways. On top of this we know that an additional number were transferred into departmental usage.

Going off at a tangent here, I also notice that five other GWR-designed full brakes had survived in revenue use to the end of 1977. They are W70W, W92W, W121W, W268W and W270W. Can anyone tell me the appropriate 4mm modelling route to them - I cannot resist parcels stock..............

Cheers,

Richard

Collett BGs / Bs:

W70 K44 1941 59'10" No kit?
W92 K42 1945 57' Comet Kit W13
W121 K42 1940 Ditto
W268 K42 1940
W270 K42 1940

An interesting Hawksworth would be W98 which in 1976 was still a BG with adaptor gangway at one end. For a couple of examples in departmental use have a look at Paul Bartlett's website. It was mostly Hawksworth BTKs (at least 11) that made it into departmental service, but 2 Bs also went that way, including one that lasted a long time up in Newcastle.

If you love esoteric parcels vehicles how about converting a certain ex GWR Kirk kit to what the RCTS books call GUVs? No 493 - 498 and 596 - 600.

Richard
Penrhos1920

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for digging out the information regarding the Collett B/BGs - I'll have to give Comet an order.

Penrhos1920 wrote:An interesting Hawksworth would be W98 which in 1976 was still a BG with adaptor gangway at one end. For a couple of examples in departmental use have a look at Paul Bartlett's website. It was mostly Hawksworth BTKs (at least 11) that made it into departmental service, but 2 Bs also went that way, including one that lasted a long time up in Newcastle.

If you love esoteric parcels vehicles how about converting a certain ex GWR Kirk kit to what the RCTS books call GUVs? No 493 - 498 and 596 - 600.

You're pushing at an open door here :D :D :D
At our current rate of parcel stock building we'll probably be able to make five long rakes for Mostyn and fill most of Mark Forrest's Wolverhampton Low Level requirements.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Pennine MC » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Penrhos1920 wrote:If you love esoteric parcels vehicles how about converting a certain ex GWR Kirk kit to what the RCTS books call GUVs? No 493 - 498 and 596 - 600.

I did one of those many years ago that I subsequently sold on, they're quite a beast 8-) The kit isnt too easy to obtain nowadays as the moulds were altered (by either Mailcoach or Cooper Craft) to the outside frame type, but I did get hold of one and have plans for a replacement. I'll get the lettering right on this one...
Pennine MC

Postby Penrhos1920 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Pennine MC wrote:
Penrhos1920 wrote:If you love esoteric parcels vehicles how about converting a certain ex GWR Kirk kit to what the RCTS books call GUVs? No 493 - 498 and 596 - 600.

I did one of those many years ago that I subsequently sold on, they're quite a beast 8-) The kit isnt too easy to obtain nowadays as the moulds were altered (by either Mailcoach or Cooper Craft) to the outside frame type, but I did get hold of one and have plans for a replacement. I'll get the lettering right on this one...

I've got one. The question is whether to label it GUV or NIV. The PB photo shows after May '77 NIV was used. When did the change from using GUV to NIV occur? Also should a BR GUV be labelled NKV or GUV in 1976?
Penrhos1920

Postby Pennine MC » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:31 am

Penrhos1920 wrote:I've got one. The question is whether to label it GUV or NIV. The PB photo shows after May '77 NIV was used. When did the change from using GUV to NIV occur? Also should a BR GUV be labelled NKV or GUV in 1976?

Must admit I'd not noticed that, despite knowing the PB shots. That strikes me as quite early for NPCCS to be carrying a TOPS code, though it may have come in at around the same time as it did with freight stock, which I've always believed to be *around* 1976, give or take. On that basis, as recoding all stock took some time, it wouldnt be wrong for a model to omit the code.
Pennine MC

Return to Reference Library