Hornby Hawksworth Passenger Brake (BG)

A place to ask for help and advice on modelling topics, prototype information, or to post items of concern to fellow modellers. We may not know the answer, but may be able to point out the right direction..

Re: Hornby Hawksworth Passenger Brake (BG)

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Stuart,

stuartfwlr wrote:What road would you be going down for the brake vans? I still think the bachmann version weathered and renumbered , instanter coupling fitted etc looks good enough and captures the appearance.

As Iain says, we have 10 or so Hornby vans at the club so that's likely to be the route we go down. I dont know whether I'm being a bit of a m*nge-bag but the cost of the Bradwell chassis is somewhat offputting (especially for a decent batch) so I might go with the basic Hornby underframe and add brass detail as required. There are at least three different patterns of supports for the stepboards so some scratchbuilding is required anyhow.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi,

An update on the weathering progress (including the 'before' shot for comparison):-
Please note that the first shot in each set was taken under artificial light at night whereas the second two shots in each set were taken in bright natural daylight. The change of colour is not quite as dramatic as it appears but nonetheless very clear.

W330

W315

W291W

The method is as follows:-
Step 1. Spray a 1:4 mixture of Phoenix Satin Varnish / Phoenix Varnish thinners evenly on the bodies. This has the desirable effect of reducing the depth of gloss of the blue plus lightening the shade.
Step 2. Make a blend of Frame Dirt plus 10% Dirty Black then mix with quick air-drying thinners in the ratio 1:3. Spray at solebar level and slightly above but allow to drift upwards.
Step 3. Make a very dilute mix of Mid-grey plus white spirit and hand-brush onto roof as required.
Step 4. Pick out door frame detail with a dirty grey/brown blend.

(The second image in each set was taken after steps 1 & 2, the third image after all steps complete.

The plan is that W315 should be very clean, W330 with some dirt and W291W fairly dirty. I'd have to say that all the coaches look somewhat dirtier to the naked eye than in these images. I'm probably going to wait to see what they look like under Mostyn's lighting before doing anything else.

Now is a good time to make any comments or ask questions before I forget what has been done. Big thanks are due to Gavin for his patience whilst we experimented with various varnishes, paints, shades and dilutions.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby iak » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Phwoooar!! 8-)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Waveydavey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:54 pm

I picked up a blood and custard Hawksworth BG from the secondhand stall at Scalefour North this weekend for the princely sum of 15 quid.

A strip and repaint into blue, new roof vents, and the removal of the gangways should provide a reasonably quick win for the Longcarse NPCCS fleet.
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Previous

Return to Help and Advice