BR 16T Minerals - The Mostyn fleet

BR 16T Minerals - The Mostyn fleet

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi,

For anyone looking for yet another take on the BR 16T Mineral, the building of Mostyn's extensive fleet was the subject of a series of articles in Railway Modeller:-

August 1999
March 2000
May 2000
July 2000

I still remember when a massive box of bits arrived from Parkside Dundas - is that ten years ago ?

If anyone wants to see some detailed images then just ask.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: BR 16T Minerals - The Mostyn fleet

Postby John B » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 am

Hi and welcome aboard, Richard!

I'm sure you'll have a very receptive audience for any pictures of the fleet that you'd be willing to post here.
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby Neil » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 am

Hello, and yes I'd like to see what you've got too.
Neil

Postby MartinWales » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:56 am

Oh yes-please let's see em!
MartinWales

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'll get one of the Mostyn crew with camera talent to take some images shortly.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to let you know that this has not been forgotten.

We were planning to photograph the wagons en masse at Ally Pally but the exhibition was never quiet enough to justify halting movements to take the snaps.

We'll try again later this week.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Gentlemen,

It's only taken me 9 months to get round to this but here is some of Mostyn's collection of 16T minerals.

We'll start off with B106972:-

This is an unfitted, original bodied Dia. 1/108 wagon which has been re-plated and suffers the characteristic corrosion on the repair. Key features include the pressed steel type brake lever (scratchbuilt from nickel-silver strip and wire sweated together). It's a close-up image so be kind and remember this has done 10 years exhibition service.

Viewed from above, you can hopefully see where significant effort was invested in the Parkside Dundas kit. The sides have been thinned down (hours of work with a file creating lots of plastic dust and plenty of scowls from the domestic authorities) and this required filling in the resultant gaps in the corners. Corner strengthening fillets are cut from plasticard sheet. Prototype wagons generally bow outwards - not inwards like model kits - and this has been achieved by inserting over-sized spacers whilst the body assembly was drying.

More to come, providing this generates some interest.

Being more or less talent-free when it comes to cameras I apologise in advance for any focus and/or composition issues.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Striking whilst the iron is hot, I'll move along to another Mostyn 16T mineral.

This time it's B274348. She's unfitted but has survived rather better than B106972 in the first posting since there is no re-plating. Unlike the 4-shoe braking system on B106972, this wagon has 2-shoe brakes and the image shows the unbraked side. The wagon shops have not got round to putting a data panel on her so she has early style lettering. The keen-eyed may notice the variations in brake lever (plain) and buffers (4-rib) from the first posting

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Moving swiftly along, let's meet B225908 which is another 4-shoe braked unfitted 16T mineral. She's led a hard life and has been re-bodied - note the lack of top-door which required careful filing away then a replacement top edge and strengthening fillet. To add insult to injury B225908 has had the new body added in the reverse orientation to the 'as-built' condition - we understand wagons entered shops for re-bodying and the new body was added without considering the layout of brake gear. B225908 has a data panel but retains COAL description rather than the later TOPS MCO designation.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:39 pm

The final contribution for today is B149327. Not a good image I'm afraid but I've included it to show differential height re-plating on ends and sides and yet another buffer type variation. The freight grey livery and lack of vacuum pipe and lamp-iron on the end clearly identify it as an unfitted wagon

Are we sick of unfitted 16T minerals yet or is anyone 'up' for more before we move on to fitted versions?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby noddy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 pm

More unfitted please. I might not be modelling the same era but i'm slowly trying to build up a fleet of mineral wagons for coal traffic use on my new layout and want to do a few different types so they don't all look the same old boring Bachmann wagons :roll:
Could you also explain the way you've weathered some of these?

Cheers
Andy
noddy

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 pm

noddy wrote:More unfitted please. I might not be modelling the same era but i'm slowly trying to build up a fleet of mineral wagons for coal traffic use on my new layout and want to do a few different types so they don't all look the same old boring Bachmann wagons :roll:
Could you also explain the way you've weathered some of these?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I tried to take a few more images this afternoon but the light was pitiful and there's nothing worth posting. I'll try again tomorrow.

As regards weathering, I can go through the techniques we use after we've got a few more images uploaded.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Light not too good but here's a few more to be going on with:-

B116509 and B159783 together showing the variety of weathering patterns.

A close-up of B116509 with 'COAL 16' branding in the data panel.

B116730 with bright rusted re-plating on display.

B228907 less-heavily weathered. The paintwork has been distressed to provide more texture. I can't remember the name of the liquid that does this but it was on offer at a Show.

MCO- branded B594352 shows dark and bright rust blended together.

That's probably enough unfitted 16T minerals for now (although there's still plenty more where these came from).

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby John B » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Great stuff Richard - many thanks for sharing.

I particularly like the texture of the rusting effect. To your credit, none of these look like the "Kung-fu Panda" or "Freesian Cow" school of paint-daubed weathering that is all-too-often applied to unfitted 16T minerals. Appetite suitably whetted for more..
John Bardwell
Modelling whatever takes my fancy, whenever I get the chance..
John B

Postby Butoxeter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 pm

rdobidston wrote:I can't remember the name of the liquid that does this but it was on offer at a Show

Wouldn't cellulose thinners, carefully applied, achieve a similar result, or perhaps Mek?
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Neil » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:00 am

Butoxeter wrote:
rdobidston wrote:I can't remember the name of the liquid that does this but it was on offer at a Show

Wouldn't cellulose thinners, carefully applied, achieve a similar result, or perhaps Mek?

I'm not sure if Mek will, (years since I used it) but the stronger plastic solvents of the Plastic Weld variety attack paint in a similar way.
Neil

Postby Dukedog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 am

You could try nail polish remover, It contains acetone which has the same effect on enamel paints.
Make sure SWMBO isn't looking though!
Regards
Frank
Why do people always say " No Offence" just before they offend you ?
Dukedog

Postby the bigbee line » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 pm

I worked with a guy in the early 80's. He was previously employed in Ashford Works fitting new bodies on mineral wagons. There was a right way round for the body, but if the frame was the wrong way round it got fitted as it was. Mostly on nights....
the bigbee line

Return to Mineral wagon clinic