parkside dundas kits etc

parkside dundas kits etc

Postby stuartfwlr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 pm

hi,

i am fairly new modeller and have started constructing a small depot with a wagon repair shop.im only 20 so you will have to bear with my lack of model knowledge but i think this group could help me a lot.

i have a quick question which im sure someone can help me with.the answer probably seems obvious to everyone but i would like to ask before i carry out my project.

i have bought a few parkside medfits but the buffers are very weak and break when you even try and push them into position.what would be the best way to overcome this and how would i go about putting in more robust buffers?

if anyone could give me some advise i would be grateful.

stuart
stuartfwlr

Re: parkside dundas kits etc

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Stuart,

Welcome aboard.

The usual method for improving the appearance and performance of plastic kit buffers is to replace them with metal equivalents. These can be wholly made of whitemetal or brass or have a whitemetal housing with a steel buffer head. Many buffers can be made to spring in operation but these cost more.

If you look at my thread on Tube wagons viewtopic.php?f=8&t=939 you can see where this has been done for another Parkside Dundas kit.

The steps are:-

1. Clean off any buffer/buffer housing detail on the headstocks (to leave a flat surface where replacement buffers will be mounted).
2. Drill a suitable hole through the headstock to take the replacement buffer (this is normally about 2.00 - 2.10mm but can vary so check the replacement buffers). The holes should be 22.5mm apart if you're working in 4mm scale. You will often find that the end of the solebars restricts the fitting of the tail of the buffer so you may need to file some of it away.
3. Fit replacement buffers, tack in place with superglue. Check ride height - it should be about 13.8mm from the centre of the buffers to the top of the rail. Adjust if neccessary and strengthen joint with araldite to finish off.

To find the replacement buffers you need, first choose suitable prototype wagons to model and identify the buffers from the ranges offered. I use buffers from Nairnshire Model Supplies for preference now

http://www.nairnshire-modelling-supplie ... 5_186.html

I hope this gets you going but fire ahead if I've missed something.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby MartinWales » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:32 pm

I can wholeheartily agree with Richard's methods, and if you get a chance try fitting some sprung buffers-fiddly but well worth it.
MartinWales

Postby stuartfwlr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 pm

thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post.I will give it a go and will let you know how i get on.

i have just completed a cambrian dogfish and i think it looks really good.i will try upload a picture later if i get the time.my main interest lies with the 1976-1979 era for a reason unknown!i was a spotter when i was younger but that was when loadhall,mainline etc ruled, good times but not so keen on modelling it.
I am a keen photographer and have regular pics published in todays railways uk.

stuart
stuartfwlr

Postby stuartfwlr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:09 pm

as i mentioned in my earlier post i have just completed a cambrian dogfish.i think the key with these wagons is to do a trial build then do a batch.i found many things that were to be done but were not in the "how to build" leaflet.i have finished the wagon in a weathered rusted state.any comments welcome.
IMG_13431.JPG
IMG_13491.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuartfwlr

Postby Butoxeter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:27 am

That's a very good representation of long-term rust and neglect.

As it happens, there is an old, neglected Dogfish at the former Tiverton Jct station, in the weeds, which we are trying at work to get removed. Someone took some photos recently, which I have copied here, in case it's of interest:
dogfish Tivvy jct 001a.JPG

dogfish Tivvy jct 002a.JPG

dogfish Tivvy jct 003a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Mr Wales - set a course for the Parkside system, MEK Factor 7.........engage!'
Butoxeter

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Stuart,

Good images of the first of your Dogfish - it certainly looks as if it has been worked hard. Many of the Cambrian Kits are old-fashioned in terms of quality, in my opinion not a patch on recent work by Chivers and Parkside Dundas but they do fill a gap for Engineers' wagons in particular. I remember the Dogfish and Catfish as requiring some fettling, getting the body to sit straight and level on the underframe for example.

Is there anything you would like to improve or change before buidling the rest of your batch?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby stuartfwlr » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:00 pm

hi richard,

thanks for the comments.

i would consider using the colin craigs handwheels i think to better the appearance of the wagon.apart from that im not sure.

is it possible to get better brakes for the cambrian dogfish rather than the supplied ones?

stuart
stuartfwlr

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:50 pm

stuartfwlr wrote:hi richard,

thanks for the comments.

i would consider using the colin craigs handwheels i think to better the appearance of the wagon.apart from that im not sure.

is it possible to get better brakes for the cambrian dogfish rather than the supplied ones?

stuart

Hi Stuart,

Using Colin Craig handwheels for both the brakes and chute controls will certainly benefit. David Goodwin and I went quite a bit further when we built our fleet of Dogfish and Catfish some years ago. I'll post up some images so you can choose how far you wish to go.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby stuartfwlr » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:01 pm

hi richard,

that would be great.

Did you find that you had to file away a large part of the platform cross-member that joins the two solebars?i found that by doing this the platform -1, sits better on the solebar and -2- doesnt fit akwardly on top of the brakes shoes!

when building my next dogfish i will show some pictures of what i mean and hopefully others can benefit from this.

stuart
stuartfwlr

Return to FRMW Clinics