BR MK1 CCT (Masterclass Models)

BR MK1 CCT (Masterclass Models)

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi,

Another batch of parcels stock was finished earlier this year based on the excellent Masterclass Models kit by Chris Higgs.

A few of the ends, note that some vehicles were fitted with scalloped dome ventilators whereas most seemed to have shell ventilators

The complete build totalled nine vehicles. At the right hand end you can see the nickel-silver fold-up interior detail 'box'

A comparison of underframes. The one on the left has advanced a bit further having had the through steam pipe added. The one on the right, like a good proportion by the end of the 1970s, has had the footboards removed.

Questions welcome.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: BR MK1 CCT (Masterclass Models)

Postby Cock Sparra » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:44 am

Hi Richard

Lots of juicy underframe detailing there.
Cheers Phil

I used to be normal but I'm better now
Cock Sparra

Postby Waveydavey » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:47 am

I got halfway through building a pair of these three years ago before I had to pack everything away for the house move back to the north east. Really must get them back out and finished sometime soon.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:35 am

Hi David,

Waveydavey wrote:I got halfway through building a pair of these three years ago before I had to pack everything away for the house move back to the north east. Really must get them back out and finished sometime soon.

They are a treat to do, excellent as they stand but a couple of detail additions give individual vehicles character in what was quite a homogeneous build.
Will post some finished images when I find them.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi,

Some pre-paint shop views of this build:-

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi Richard,

Did you build all nine at once or in batches of a lesser number? The most vehicles that I have built at once was 3 midland cattle wagons.

I have on the go in between other builds 6 Slaters GWR cattle wagons. Only one of them is mine and the other 5 are for a friend and are being built to S7. I don't really do GWR but picked up my example cheap a few years ago from eBay and thought that it would add variety to my cattle train.
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Rob,

Rob Pulham wrote:Did you build all nine at once or in batches of a lesser number? The most vehicles that I have built at once was 3 midland cattle wagons.

As a rule I tend to build everything in one batch and that is the case with these CCTs. It can mean that some operations become a bit tedious and repetitive but Mostyn requires such a lot of stock that I'm not sure there is any other way to do it.

I have got a big project ongoing with ex-ironstone hoppers that has been split into four parts but that's an exception.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Cheers Richard,

I did wonder about the potential for it becoming tedious in places. You are lucky that it wasn't paired up with a loss of modelling mojo which seems to happen to me if things get tedious.

At the same time I understand why you build so many at once - a fine line to tread.
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Richard Oldfield » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 am

Hi Rob,

Rob Pulham wrote:I did wonder about the potential for it becoming tedious in places. You are lucky that it wasn't paired up with a loss of modelling mojo which seems to happen to me if things get tedious.

My escape route from the tedious bits is to keep a few projects ongoing at the same time and hope that there is at least something on or around the workbench that takes my fancy. Failing that I can always convince myself that a bit more research (i.e. happily reading books) will be beneficial.

The Whithorn project is coming at a good time as our clubroom gets very cold in winter and you can only sit still with a craft knife for so long before you need to do something more active.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Return to FRMW Clinics