BR MK1 Full Brakes (BGs) - Bachmann

BR MK1 Full Brakes (BGs) - Bachmann

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi,

With David Faulkner steadily making progress on MK2 coaching stock it's time to get their complementary MK1 vehicles moving (and use up some of the great heap of compensation units we now have in stock). The full brakes are a good place to start as (famous last words) the Bachmann model is fundamentally correct but capable of being upgraded.

Here's a shot of two BGs together having been mated with appropriate compensation units. The vehicle on the left is destined to receive BR1 bogies and therefore has larger diameter wheelsets whereas the vehicle on the right will have B4 bogies and therefore has 3ft diameter wheelsets. I'm going to try as far as possible to keep the blue-grey livery intact. If anyone wants to know the detailed steps I took to get this far then please fire ahead. No work on the bodies has yet been started.

An overall shot of the two vehicles.

The complete BG build is shown following our customary discovery of vehicles lurking in everyone's stock stashes. This will give us ample opportunity to demonstrate the detailing differences in the BG fleet in our time period. I'm certainly going to include one example of the high security variation with all opening windows plated over and grid mesh rather than window bars.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: BR MK1 Full Brakes (BGs) - Bachmann

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:49 am

Hi,

Progress has been made with the required roof modifications to the Bachmann MK1 BGs.

All roofs have undergone the following:-
1. Removal of roof-mounted grab handle and associated mouldings.
2. Removal of end handrail and moulding where mounted into roof.
3. Roof seam lines pared back to virtually flush with the roof line.
4. Periscope blanking plates filed back smooth to roof curvature and then replaced by 5 thou plasticard rectangles.

Having studied as many MK1 BG photographs as possible it is clear (to me at least) that the Bachmann choice of ridged dome vents is more to do with their ease of production than any suggestion that they were the most common fitment. Shell vents appear to be by far the most common with scalloped dome and ridged dome following leaving relatively few examples with torpedo vents. This was my cue for a general removal of ridged dome vents from 9 of the 11 vehicles and their replacement with shell (Comet), scalloped dome and torpedo vents (both MJT). It also gave me the opportunity to do a couple of examples where roofs had mixtures of vent types.

Images to follow.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu May 03, 2012 9:04 am

Hi,

I still owe Fred some shots of the modified roofs - the reason for the delay is the need to do some further fettling work where moulding detail has been removed and holes filled with milliput. In the meantime basic butchery has now commenced on the ends:-

1. As they come (apart from removal of the left hand end handrail)

2. Buffers chopped off (whitemetal replacements will be used), right hand end handrail removed (it's wrongly positioned) and gangway removed (flexible gangways look better).

More 'scorched earth' basic modelling to follow.

Has anyone else noticed that the guard's door grab handles on the bodysides are wrongly positioned?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi,

The Mk1 BG coach ends have continued to suffer at my hands:-

Off with the three upper steps, off with the lap-iron mouldings, off with the lighting supply cable and off with the end handrail bracket mouldings. Hopefully the next stages will be in a positive direction......

A shot to show the variety of roof detail on the BGs:-

From front to rear - ridged dome vents (as supplied by Bachmann), shell vents with a couple of scalloped domes by the guard's compartment, scalloped dome vents and finally torpedo vents with a couple of replacement shell vents at the left hand end. The oversize roof seams have now gone, the periscope blanking plates are more to scale and the end handrail details have been removed. They are ready for topcoats and weathering

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat May 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi,

It's time to move the Bachmann MK1 BGs on as well. Next job is to sort out couplings and buffing gear. There are two basic options. For vehicle ends which are coupled to other buckeye-fitted vehicles (such as, for example, other MK1 BGs, other MK1 passenger stock, MK2s and MK3s), the buckeyes will be in use and the buffers are retracted. For vehicle ends which are coupled to non-buckeye fitted vehicles (or at the end of a formation), the BG buckeye will be in 'dropped' position, the vehicles will be coupled together by means of a screw-link coupling and the buffers will be 'extended' by means of a collar.

For operating buckeye couplings Mostyn has long since standardised on Kadee #35s following plenty of experiments with the Kadee range. The sequence of steps followed is:-

1. Make jig to mark out buffer locations and also those for the steam and vacuum brake pipes. Note that you need to move the steam and vac pipe locations slightly outwards in order not to interfere with the operation of the Kadees.
2. Drill through marked locations with a 0.9mm drill.
3. Chamfer rear of solebar by buffer location to prevent interference when larger drill bit is used. Drill through buffer location holes with a 2.25mm drill (which is just about right for both MJT 2934 retracted buffers and ABS B1/05 extended buffers.
4. Mark out and cut out central 7.5mm slot for Kadee mounting.
5. Cut out Kadee mounting plate from 40 thou plasticard and ensure this also covers the hole in the underfloor (which will prevent dust getting in when the model is finished). Mark and pilot-drill 0.9mm hole for Kadee securing nut/bolt - ours are set 3.4mm in from the outer face of the headstock but this measurement will depend on the buffer types you use, whether they are sprung and how tight the curves are on your layout.
6. Glue Kadee mounting plate in position. Drill through pilot hole with a 2.25mm drill (gives a nice fit for the 8BA nut/bolt fixing). Please note that for 14mm wheelsets only you may need to relieve part of the Kadee mounting plate to give sufficient vertical wheel movement in the compensation units.
7. Dress, fit and glue retracted buffers in place. Check with buffer height gauge.
8. Push 8BA bolt through Kadee #35, locate through coach floor, secure with nut (remembering to superglue nut to coach floor as it wont be accessible when the coach is finished). Use Loctite 601 or similar to seal nut/bolt.

For the dropped buckeye ends, the instructions are similar:-
1. As above except move the steam and vac pipe locations to their tru-to-prototype locations.
2. As above.
3. As above.
4. Not needed.
5. Mounting plate is only needed to cover the hole in the floor
6. Not needed.
7. As above but extended buffers.
8. Not needed.
9. Fit and superglue MJT dropped buckeye then push a screw-link coupling (I'm using up some old Roxey etches with Ambis or MJT drawhooks) through the slot in the dropped buckeye and through the drawbar pocket hole. Superglue in place.

Please note that, on the prototype, buckeye-fitted vehicles did not have captive screw-link couplings but they are fitted to our models because experience has taught us that it is a nightmare trying to couple up under working gangways at exhibitions - you have been warned !

Hopefully the pictures will make this more digestible...................

Kadee fitted end

Dropped Buckeye end

A BG underframe with different fittings at each end.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi Richard

Don't forget to switch the v hangers around for the b4 fitted ones ( the push rod goes over the bogie not under like a br1 or commonwealth)

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Jim,

Jim S-W wrote:Don't forget to switch the v hangers around for the b4 fitted ones ( the push rod goes over the bogie not under like a br1 or commonwealth)

I'm not sure it's quite as straightforward as that. MK1 BGs were built with (at least) two different vee hanger / vacuum cylinder layouts just like their passenger carrying equivalents. Bachmann have modelled the version with a symmetric vee hanger nearer the bogie than the vacuum cylinder. Here's an early prototype shot of this layout:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpcc ... 6#h23bd790

There is also another arrangement with an asymmetric vee hanger further away from the bogie than the vacuum cylinder. Here's an early prototype shot of this layout:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpcc ... #h18c8052b

It may well be that BR only used B4 bogies with BG vehicles that had the second layout (I cannot put my hand on an image of a B4-fitted BG with the first arrangement) but there are plenty of images of BR1/B2-fitted BGs with the second layout. Here's one from a more modern period:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpcc ... #h18c8052b

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Penrhos1920 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:57 am

Richard Oldfield wrote:Hi,
In the meantime basic butchery has now commenced on the ends:-

2. Buffers chopped off (whitemetal replacements will be used), right hand end handrail removed (it's wrongly positioned) and gangway removed (flexible gangways look better).Cheers,

Richard

What no sprung buffers on the ends of rakes?

Who's flexible gangways? I agree they look better with respect to no gap, but most of the folded paper options look like, well, er, folded paper.
Penrhos1920

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 am

Hi,

Penrhos1920 wrote:What no sprung buffers on the ends of rakes?

No, we have a certain amount of stock with sprung buffers but, as a general rule (for us at least), the cost and time fitting and maintaining them vastly outweighs any advantages they might have in allowing slightly closer coupling. There's nothing worse, appearance wise, than a failed sprung buffer which sticks in the depressed position.

Penrhos1920 wrote:Who's flexible gangways? I agree they look better with respect to no gap, but most of the folded paper options look like, well, er, folded paper.

We make our own from paper with a top cover of fine tissue paper. It would be nice if there was a more life-like alternative at a reasonable cost but, if there is, I'm not aware of it.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Jim S-W » Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:Hi Jim,

I'm not sure it's quite as straightforward as that. MK1 BGs were built with (at least) two different vee hanger / vacuum cylinder layouts just like their passenger carrying equivalents.

Well that my theory buggered! Thanks for the info Richard

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi,

This project has become a bit less straightforward over the last couple of weeks.

Two of the problems relate to guard's door handrails and underframe trussing.

Firstly, here's an image of a 'quickie' P4 conversion of a Bachmann BG (which was done for Mostyn many moons ago):-

The roof seams are still a bit too prominent (although they have been pared down). The body sides and underframe are pretty much out of the box.

A closer look at the guard's door handrails:-

Comparing this with the prototype, see http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpcc ... 9#h9d97999 for example, you can see that the position of all 4 handrails has somehow slipped upwards on the model. The top of the upper handrails should be below the top of the window aperture and the bottom of the lower handrails should be only slightly above the bottom of the door. Correcting this is not so much of an issue for the plain blue vehicles but is more problematic for the blue-grey examples where I'd prefer not to have to re-do the white lining around the grey.

After carefully chiselling off the moulded handrails, the exposed blue plastic was touched up with grey paint (obviously not on the plain blue coaches) and then new holes were marked and drilled before new 0.4mm nickel silver handrails were made and fitted. It was then a matter of masking off and carefully re-spraying the grey area (which gave us the opportunity to tone down the bluish grey tone on the Bachmann model.

Here's a re-worked side:-

Here's a re-worked side which will eventually be a high security BG:-

A close-up of re-worked guard's door furniture:-

Moving on, a close-up of an end of the underframe trussing:-

The above change in angle of the longitudinal truss is not prototypical and has probably been done by Bachmann to give sufficient clearance for tight radius curves and inclines. Having seen the issue I felt the need to see to what extent we could replicate the prototype without losing running flexibility on Mostyn. Delving into the plasticard scrap box, the following was achieved:-

In close-up:-

There is not much of a clearance issue with 12mm wheelsets but for the 14mm wheelsets (as illustrated) we will need to do some running checks when the sideframes are on.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Richard

Slightly off topic but will you be running TPOs on mostyn? I wonder if you know if they had 2 dynamos (as per the bachmann model) or 1

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Jim,

Jim S-W wrote:Slightly off topic but will you be running TPOs on mostyn? I wonder if you know if they had 2 dynamos (as per the bachmann model) or 1

The only postal working on the North Wales Coast main line in 1977 was a couple of coaches (POS/POT) tacked onto a service train. We have not got round to them (yet) - although I do have a Modelzone/Bachmann vehicle somewhere.

I dont know the answer to your question but I'll have a look to see whether there is any information at the club.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby stuartfwlr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:36 am

Any progress on these coaches?IM enjoying watching the progress :drool
stuartfwlr

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 am

Hi Stuart,

stuartfwlr wrote:Any progress on these coaches?IM enjoying watching the progress :drool

The 21/24T minerals are nearly fully finished so the BGs will be next in line. I hope to be posting more progress shortly. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi,

This project has sat gathering dust for several months but has finally been brought to the modelling workbench again. Most of the work on the sides has now been completed with the exception of the blue-liveried NCVs which need priming and top-coating. Here's a run through the variations we have noted and modelled:-

For the Mark 2 vac-braked rake under construction a trio of NEVs:-

Reading from top to bottom we have M81393/M81440/M81624. Each has had new etched door and window bars to replace the incorrect black Bachmann printed versions on the models we bought. Each has had destination board brackets added at the top left hand side. For variation M81624 has raised window surrounds - another fine etch from the work of David Faulkner. The treatment of the glazing in the brake compartment (window to the left of the central door in the lower of each pair of images) varies but I haven't found a hard and fast rule for this, I'm simply following prototype images.

For our Mark 2 air-braked rakes a trio of NEAs:-

Reading from top to bottom we have M81500/M81088/M81591. Basic treatment as per the vac-braked rake. M81088 has raised window surrounds plus bodyside and door re-plating but appears to have lost (or never had) destination board brackets. M81591 has raised window surrounds and destination board brackets whereas 'plain jane' M81500 simply has destination board brackets as extra adornment.

A high-security variant in NDV M81477:-

M81477 sports mesh security fittings at the bodyside windows (thank you, once again Mr Faulkner) and has also had the door glazing plated over to create a distinctive appearance.

To finish off, an assortment of plain blue NCVs:-

Reading from top to bottom E80826/M80560/M81417/M80947.
E80826 has undergone significant work losing both the brake compartment central doorway and one of the pairs of doors. M80560 is very much a 'plain jane'. M81417 has both raised window surrounds and bodyside re-plating whilst M80947 has to be satisfied with destination board brackets as additional detail.

Sorry to be a bit tedious with this posting but these subtleties (added to other detail variations like bogies, braking arrangements and vent types) will give each vehicle a unique appearance.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 am

Dear all,

During the course of 2014, I have finished all 11 of these Mk1 BGs, 5 joined the roster for our appearance at Wigan in June, the remaining 6 have their exhibition debuts at Taunton show in October.

I can go through the missing steps if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Waveydavey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes please Richard.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi David,

I will reclaim my notes (which are at our club) and fill in the missing pieces.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi David,

This is the sequence in which I completed the BGs. I'm afraid I did not take any images along the way but, if anything is unclear I can photograph the details on the finished vehicles.

Running Gear
1. Prepare and fit bogie sideframes
2. Check bogie clearance and running ( I needed to mill out a bit of the body floor to provide sufficient bogie swing on BR1 bogie-fitted vehicles)

Underframe Modifications
1. Re-position any misaligned Bachmann components (eg some of the battery boxes were not vertically positioned)
2. Re-fit dynamo
3. Add new vee hangers / vacuum cylinders / cross-shafts on vacuum-braked examples (Remember there are two possible arrangements which I refer to as symmetric and asymmetric)
4. Add air-brake actuation on air-braked examples
5. Make and fit replacement footboards for guard's compartment.

Bodyside work
1. Add interior handrail (if fitted).
2. Spot some superglue on all glazing units to secure them.

Assembly and body ends
1. Drill holes for body end handrails (note the variety of possible patterns).
2. Glue sides then roof to underframe, remembering to insert and screw down the interior detail.
3. Fill and smooth all exposed joints.
4. Fit body end handrails.
5. Fit air/vacuum/steam pipes as required
6. Make and fit ETH connections.
7. Make and fit end gangways, lamp-irons and residual brackets above gangways.
8. Fit tell-tales and associated equipment (NCVs only).
9. Fit end footsteps.

There are other details to consider on specific vehicles, especially the NCVs, which I did from prototype photographs.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Richard
Richard Oldfield

Return to FRMW Clinics