Mostyn Class 40s... the second coming?

Mostyn Class 40s... the second coming?

Postby Philip Sutton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Hello all

During a reorganisation of stock boxes for Mostyn, I came across a number of components used to upgrade Mostyn's Lima-body based Class 40s. Amongst this general tat was a number of donor bodies that didn't make the cut and have been half-hacked. With a view to increasing the motive power roster, consideration is being given to re-activating our version of Vulcan Foundry.

Whilst the conversion 'path' has been well trodden, it would be prudent to investigate recent innovations and as such we wondered if anybody can shed light on Bachmann's 32-475DC & 32-480DS models which are listed in the 2011/12 catalogue with mention of a 'retooled bodyshell'.

Having been proposed variously on and off for the last 5 years, does anyone know if the proposed improvement is just code for minor upgrading to accommodate directional lighting and sound chips (as indicated by one major retailer quoting 'new chassis' on its website) or is it more substantial work addressing the body issues?

The catalogue illustrates the existing model and the prices advertised don't seem to reflect the premium you'd expect to pay for significant work. (Hatton's quote £62 with chip or £124 with sound. The former is £33 cheaper than a comparable DCC Deltic).

32-475DC.jpg

The Lima route is not straightforward and it would be nice to think we wouldn't need to go through all that pain again!

Thanks in advance
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Philip Sutton

Re: Mostyn Class 40s... the second coming?

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:33 am

I am led to believe it's a complete re-tool Phillip.

Perhaps rail exclusives can commission the same for the 25's? ;)

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Philip Sutton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:48 am

Hello Jim

You'd think they'd be making a bit more of a splash about it in that case. However, I'm not so sure the pricing structure for this 'new' item supports this suggested level of re-working.

Regarding 'Rats', I think we've got more than enough Hornby donor parts for future Mostyn use! They maybe basic and have their faults but they're a good basis to build on... as you know!

Best regards
Philip
Philip Sutton

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Phillip

Perhaps the advertised ones are some sort of interim measure? (just guessing) I am told not to expect the reworked one until 2013 at the earliest.

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Dave Millward » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Given that the 40 is probably the worst model in their range they have certainly got some scope to aim at.
Dave Millward

Location: Leek- just below the snowline in green welly country!

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi Philip,

Seems like a million years since the Class 40 production line was in action for Mostyn - count me in for some more of the same. :) :)

Tell me I'm being a bit thick about how prices work nowadays but I was intrigued by the £124 for a chip-fitted new 1-Co-Co-1 locomotive with directional lighting and DCC sound. Casting my eyes elsewhere on the Hatton's website I notice that a Class 25/3 Bo-Bo with similar fitments was £144. What am I missing (apart from the obvious £20 and 4 axles :lol: ) ?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Return to FRMW Clinics