GWR Hydra by Connoisseur Models

GWR Hydra by Connoisseur Models

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 am

Hi,

I haven't done any stock modelling in O Gauge for a while and, buoyed up by a enjoyable exhibition with Johnstown Road at Chatham recently, thought I would tackle a the GWR Hydra kit by Connoisseur Models (and do a load for it).

These are the instructions - well-written and containing some useful hints on soldering techniques:-

This is what you get in the kit (apart from the Slater's wheelsets which you buy separately). There are some spares of the key whitemetal components in case you damage them:-

Some essential reading material:-

The clarity of the instructions is such that it's not worth adding to them - this kit represents useful soldering practice and there is nothing beyond the reach of a reasonably competent modeller. Individual components fit well, minor fettling is suggested in the instructions. Note that, being a t**l, I originally fitted incorrect spoked wagon wheels whereas the instructions clearly call for Mansell carriage wheels - correcting this error has been the most difficult part of the job so far. The completed kit sat in primer:-

A view from above - the additional coverplates on the wagon planking are not part of the kit but are easily made from scrap brass sheet:-

A potential load (a Duncan's Models horse-drawn trailer):-

Load and wagon come together:-

Hope this is of interest. More to come..........

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: GWR Hydra by Connoisseur Models

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:10 am

Hi,

Armed with a plentiful supply of elderly tins of enamel paint (and too little patience to let each coat dry thoroughly before opening the next tin), the Hydra and trailer load have reached the following stage:-

There are still quite a few fiddly bits to do such as the securing rings, chains, shackles and chocks before moving on to lettering and final weathering but the project is definitely on the final straight.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby iak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:46 am

In the"flesh" this beastie looks even better - believe me ;)
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Postby Dave Millward » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Rich,

Lovely model....looking forward to seeing it 'in action' on the layout.

Cheers

Dave
Dave Millward

Location: Leek- just below the snowline in green welly country!

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi Folks,

Pushing things on a bit further, here is where we are now:-

Just the Hydra lettering and general weathering to come.

Cheers,

Richard

ps Messrs. Lee, Stagg and Goodwin are all BMRG club members.
Richard Oldfield

Postby KevinBays » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:35 am

Nice bit of work Richard. I have a couple of the 4mm versions of this wagon, plus a few others from Jim. I was gutted when the 4mm stuff was dropped from the range as I think they offered the best value for money by far. The kits seem to go together without much fuss with plenty of detail - even for the rivet counter :!:

Kevin
Kevin Bays
KevinBays

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Kevin

Do you agree it would look good with the Horse box at the front of the six wheelers as the train passes Johnstown Road station :) :)
Clive Mortimore

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....(Oxford dictionary)
Clive

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:11 pm

KevinBays wrote:Nice bit of work Richard. I have a couple of the 4mm versions of this wagon, plus a few others from Jim. I was gutted when the 4mm stuff was dropped from the range as I think they offered the best value for money by far. The kits seem to go together without much fuss with plenty of detail - even for the rivet counter :!:

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I totally agree with you about the loss of Jim's 4mm range - like yourself our group has a few remnants stashed away but we really should have bought a lot more.

It is surprising (to me at least) how long the Hydras lasted in service. For Johnstown Road the wagon will be 'ex works' as this lot was built in 1908.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby KevinBays » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks for reminding me Clive, I was trying to forget that in my case was it 2 cattle wagons and then the 6 wheelers!!! :scratch

Kevin
Kevin Bays
KevinBays

Postby Rob Pulham » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:18 pm

That look superb Richard.

Did you get the transfers for the horse drawn wagon from Duncan models too? Thanks for the pointer too, I have them bookmarked for future reference.

I have built an implement wagon and I received a couple of old tractors as loads but I do like the range that Duncan's have. I also have one of Jim's low macs in the pile (along with a tube and three of his brakevans). They will feature on here at some point.
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind comment - my forays into O gauge stock modelling are quite rare but always enjoyable.

The trailer lettering is from an old Woodhead 4mm scale sheet which just seemed to be about the right size and style for what I wanted.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks Richard,
It seems the moral of the tale is don't get rid of my 4mm transfers too quickly!! :shock:
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Return to FRMW Clinics