Grain Hopper by Acorn Models (? now Mercian)

Grain Hopper by Acorn Models (? now Mercian)

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi,

I met the elusive Mike W. together with Brian Hanson on the Shawplan stand at Stafford Exhibition last weekend. Mike was clutching a couple of Acorn Models etches for the BR Grain Hopper. Here are some images of the vehicle that Dave Millward and I built for the Mostyn collection - note it is carded for a trip to Crumps at Connahs Quay for repairs. We dont think they worked in normal revenue service on the North Wales coast in the 1970s.

Hopefully this will encourage Mike to declare his presence on Fred.................

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: Grain Hopper by Acorn Models (? now Mercian)

Postby Dave Millward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

These pics bring back memories Rich, I've still got the other 5 at the half way stage to complete.

Cheers

Dave
Dave Millward

Location: Leek- just below the snowline in green welly country!

Postby Parthia27 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Richard,

Has DEFine's most 'senior' member has actually joined this esteemed forum? If so, C'mon out with ya, otherwise will the other group members on here please give him a shove when you are out for a curry tonight with our most southerly member?

On a more serious note thanks for the pictures of the finished model, looks very nice, I was with Mike at Stafford when we were talking to Mercian Models. I'm going to keep a close watch on how he progresses with these kits, with a bit more soldering practice I might hve a go at a small rake of them myself.

Cheers

Chris M

PS Not joining Curry outing due to enforced domestic distraction. :cry: :cry:
Parthia27

Postby Waveydavey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 am

Do these kits have the facility to be built with bouncy suspension?

Having built my grain wagon by lengthening a Wrenn body I'm not keen to repeat the experience. In the absence of Bachmann coming up with an rtr version I'll be interested to see how Mike gets on with building these as I could be persuaded to try a few.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Waveydavey wrote:Do these kits have the facility to be built with bouncy suspension?

Having built my grain wagon by lengthening a Wrenn body I'm not keen to repeat the experience. In the absence of Bachmann coming up with an rtr version I'll be interested to see how Mike gets on with building these as I could be persuaded to try a few.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I suspect these kits can be adapted for springing but it wont be straightforward as you'll need to do some 'chopping out' to avoid fouling the slope of the hopper end. The wheelbase of the Dia. 1/270 (and 1/271) grain hoppers is 10ft. 6in. and we never, normally, spring or compensate vehicles with a wheelbase of 10ft 6 in or less. The only exception I can think of is the ironstone hoppers and that's only because springing is part of the kit design.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Dave and his mutt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 am

Are these still available? I'd be more than happy to take a couple albeit for OO gauged duties!

Dave.
Dave Smith.

Elevating mediocrity to an art form...

http://maxstafford60093.wordpress.com/
Dave and his mutt

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 am

Dave and his mutt wrote:Are these still available? I'd be more than happy to take a couple albeit for OO gauged duties!

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Mike Whitchurch got them from Mercian Models. I dont know whether they intend to offer them as a regular product or were just selling them off - they are not listed on the Mercian Models website.

Mercian Models contact number = 01562-884800. Their website is :-
http://www.modelrailways.tv/index.htm

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Dave and his mutt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks Richard. I'll make enquiries.

Dave.
Dave Smith.

Elevating mediocrity to an art form...

http://maxstafford60093.wordpress.com/
Dave and his mutt

Return to FRMW Clinics