Dogfish and Catfish by Cambrian Kits

Dogfish and Catfish by Cambrian Kits

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi,

At the turn of the year Stuart was asking for some ideas on how to improve his Dogfish. I offered to post some images but forgot about it until now so here goes:-

These were built by Dave Goodwin and myself during 2000 so they've done some work on Mostyn in the last 10 years. They use MJT internal bearing compensation units which were the only compensation solution we could think of at the time but now we'd certainly look for a springing solution. First of all a trip round DB993122 which is a Diagram 1/588 Dogfish variant with extended sides and ends for conveying slag ballast (Cue : opportunity for dodgy cockney renditions from The Sweeney)

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: Dogfish and Catfish by Cambrian Kits

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi,

Some different takes on the Dogfish and a couple of Catfish for variety:-

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby stuartfwlr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm

hi richard,

thanks for uploading these images.I have been so busy at university that i actually forgot to look in on the postings.

The wagons look great and when i get the time i intend to build a few more.I will post some of my own photos as and when i can.

thanks

stuart
stuartfwlr

Postby NorthMidland » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Superb Richard. Top grade modelling.
Colin

places of diminutive delight and reasonable accuracy
NorthMidland

Postby Tappa » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi Richard - what make is the Instanter middle link? Looks rather nice!
Jeff Taylor
East Riding Finescale Group

You can't be optimistic with a misty optic
Tappa

Postby Neil » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Really impressive, my cats and dog caused no end of grief to get something like square.
Neil

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Tappa wrote:Hi Richard - what make is the Instanter middle link? Looks rather nice!

Hi Jeff,

They are by Exactoscale - they still offer them now but I think they have revised the design and made them thinner (which makes them easier in use).

See :-

http://www.exactoscale.co.uk/4mmrollingstock.html

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Neil wrote:Really impressive, my cats and dog caused no end of grief to get something like square.

Hi Neil,

Snap - I remember the process of squarely mounting the bodies to the stanchions/underframe as a long drawn-out process.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Neil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 am

Richard Oldfield wrote:
Neil wrote:Really impressive, my cats and dog caused no end of grief to get something like square.

Hi Neil,

Snap - I remember the process of squarely mounting the bodies to the stanchions/underframe as a long drawn-out process.

Cheers,

Richard

In a selfish way it's good to know it's not just down to my hamfistedness. It looks like you've built far more than my three, are there any techniques/dodges that take some of the sting out of the process?
Neil

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Neil wrote:It looks like you've built far more than my three, are there any techniques/dodges that take some of the sting out of the process?

Hi Neil,

We've built a rake of 14 Dogfish/Catfish for Mostyn.

As regards techniques and dodges, I'm afraid there's nothing revolutionary to report. Often it's not much more than a bloody-minded determination not to be beaten by a collection of moulded parts and other added components. Add to this a willingness to tolerate some tedious but vital modelling processes and finish off with a desire to get on with the next modelling project down the line.

Amongst the conditions that make my modelling more productive and enjoyable are:-

1. Having other people around (either working on whatever I'm doing or working on something completely different.
2. Having a deadline to meet (i.e. i want this running at xxxxx exhibition)
3. Believing that I'll only ever work on the current project once and need to get the most out of it (in other words I'm only going to be making 21T minerals once and will never make them again).
4. Not having more than a couple of projects on the go at any one time.
5. Devising and building jigs to make components very quickly (not a big deal if you're making one or two wagons but a huge time and effort saver when you start building rakes).
6. Getting all the research marshalled - I dont build things very well if I dont understand them.
7. Making sure I get the chassis/underframe running smoothly at a very early stage in the project.

The other thing, I suppose, is that having built some hundreds of vehicles, I've 'got my eye in' and will tend to solve problems quite quickly.

Hope this helps (but I accept it might not :) )

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Waveydavey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

One of the things I'm lobbying Brian at Shawplan for is a sprung fold up chassis for the Cambrian Cats and Dogs to follow on from the long promised 35 ton tank chassis.

I know he must get well and truly sick of hundreds of people asking him to do this bit and that bit and he's already working a 48 hour day to keep on top of things but if more people started dropping these chassis ideas into conversation with him they might get a bit higher up the 'to do' list.

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/
Waveydavey

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Waveydavey wrote:One of the things I'm lobbying Brian at Shawplan for is a sprung fold up chassis for the Cambrian Cats and Dogs to follow on from the long promised 35 ton tank chassis.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

By coincidence I was talking to Brian about springing units at the Stafford exhibition yesterday. I'm more interested in individual axle units rather than chassis units - I think there is scope to make springing units more precise and easier to use. Catfish and Dogfish are a special variant where you want more 'daylight' visible through the exposed underframe.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi All

Actually i found springing them to be no bother with Bill Bedford W irons. Separate the W irons from their "floor" and glue to the solebars.

This one uses Colin Craig's excellent handwheels.

HTH

Jim
Jim S-W

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Jim,

I can see that's a practical solution to the problem of providing springing but I would be a bit concerned about the skill required to repeatedly position the individual w-iron springing units correctly in relationship to one another across the wagon and as regards the wheelbase. The floor of the springing unit provides the strength to keep the w-irons parallel and the correct distance apart (to avoid slop) as well as acting as a travel stop for the bearing carrier.

But, at the end of the day, you cant argue with a built wagon that runs well. :) :)

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby iak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

Waveydavey wrote:One of the things I'm lobbying Brian at Shawplan for is a sprung fold up chassis for the Cambrian Cats and Dogs to follow on from the long promised 35 ton tank chassis.

I know he must get well and truly sick of hundreds of people asking him to do this bit and that bit and he's already working a 48 hour day to keep on top of things but if more people started dropping these chassis ideas into conversation with him they might get a bit higher up the 'to do' list.

Cheers

David

Oooooo now then :lol:
Brian seems to generate these suggestions for himself as he sets such a wonderful standard of product maybe?
Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is God and since he does not exist....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/
iak

Return to FRMW Clinics