Freightliner Flats FFA /FGA

Freightliner Flats FFA /FGA

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi,

I am now on my second batch of the Colin Craig Freightliner kits with a total of 26 vehicles under construction.

So far, the assembly has been pretty much as per the excellent instructions but I am now taking the opportunity to add a little variety to what was a standard vehicle.

Certain Freightliner flats were modified for continental traffic - and when this, presumably, did not materialise, they reverted into mainstream domestic use.

Using as my inspiration an image on Paul Barlett's site :-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brferr ... #h3e19f673

I have set about adding extended buffer mountings, tie-down loops, ferry cleats, handrails, footsteps and other paraphernalia.

Here is a shot of FGA 601438 on the workbench:-

The drawhook and twistlocks still need finishing, buffers and air hoses need adding but it is not too far away from the paintshop.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Re: Freightliner Flats FFA /FGA

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi,

This mega-build of 26 Freightliner FFA/FGAs is slowly approaching the finishing line (i.e. ready for painting).

I did the final job on 6 of the simpler FFAs today and their next appearance will be in grey primer - I'm not a fan of wintertime air-brushing but, having decided that I want them to run on Mostyn at Model Rail Scotland in February, there is no alternative.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote: I'm not a fan of wintertime air-brushing but, having decided that I want them to run on Mostyn at Model Rail Scotland in February, there is no alternative.

Cheers,

Richard

I am lucky in that respect Richard, we converted our garage into a studio for Chris to paint in and a workshop for me which is fully insulated - we replaced the up and over door with UPVC French doors and more importantly we fitted a gas fire.

Plus I have a proper spray booth with an external extractor (in fact I borrowed your idea of fitting the extractor into a kitchen unit carcass) so it really doesn't matter what it's doing outside it's always good to go.
Regards,
Rob P
http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Location: The Rhubarb Triangle in the People's Republic of Yorkshire

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi Rob,

Your comfortable surroundings do compare rather well with our 1150 sq. ft of 'Siberian' clubroom with single-glazed windows. We can get the place 'warm' so the solution will be to come in very early to switch all radiators on or leave the heating on overnight.

We do also have a heated cupboard which can greatly warm the models and paints.

Tears may flow if this goes wrong but I simply do not have the patience to wait for warmer weather.................

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi Richard,

I don't really have any issue where paints are concerned because I only use acrylics for spraying. Chris and I are both very susceptible to paint fumes so I only use enamels for lining out.

With acrylics you can help things along with a hairdryer....
Regards,
Rob P
For higher resolutions photos of all that I post go to - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/
Rob Pulham

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Rob,

I'm not so much resisting the changeover to acrylics as finding it hard going.

I have switched mainly over to acrylics for hand weathering but that took quite a bit of time since I was very happy with my weathering efforts using enamels. I am not very good at waiting for paint to dry properly before marching on to the next stage.

For air-brushing, as a club we still use Halford's cellulose-based primer with an appropriate oil-based top-coat. Results are generally good but we need to find a better underframe colour than that from Phoenix Precision - we find it hard to get a flat coat.

What do you use for underframe dirt?

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi,

This mega-build is now ready for the paintshops so here are some phootgraphs before it all goes grey (primer):-

Standard FGA headstock end

Ferry-fitted FGA headtstock end

Vehicles originally equipped with internal location/clamping mechanisms

Detail shot of the above

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi,

Of course, if there are 26 Freightliners, then it follows 52 bogies must also be needed:-

The challenge now is to successfully marry up bogies with underframes..........

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Rob Pulham » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:Hi Rob,

What do you use for underframe dirt?

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I use a mixture of Vallejo Game Colours - Flat Earth and Dark Blue Grey.
Regards,
Rob P
Rob Pulham

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:13 pm

Hi,

Before the bodies go to the paintshops I decided to spend a leisurely couple of hours marrying the bodies up with their correct bogies and checking them on our test-track which consists of a plain curve and a reverse curve both of 1200mm radius (which is the minimum on Mostyn). The test-track is on a shelf at the club.

The key check is the clearance of the rigid bar coupling within the 'headstock' pocket and against the bump stops which prevent excessive bar coupling travel. Colin Craig designed this kit as an accurate model of the real thing but, of course, we modellers use non-prototypical sharp curves.

Here are the results:-

Plain curve

Plain curve viewed in close-up from above

Reverse curve

Reverse curve viewed in close-up from above

As you can see, it is close but there is no fouling and so these vehicles are 'good to go'.

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

Just a quick note to say that the freightliner flats are now drying after their first coat of primer. It is now time to identify and rectify any carbuncles before a second primer coat is applied (if needed).

Cheers,

Richard
Richard Oldfield

Return to FRMW Clinics